Linked Events

• artdc.org U St. Show: October 13, 2007

Author Topic: artdc.org Exhibition at U Street Space  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
artdc.org Exhibition at U Street Space
« on: October 03, 2007, 08:55:35 PM »
October 3, 2007
For Immediate Release

artdc.org Exhibition at U Street Space

WASHINGTON, D.C.—artdc.org, a Washington, D.C., artist’s forum, presents “Art in Transition Continued” on Saturday, October 13, 2007, in the future Greater Goods building, 1626 U Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20009. Doors open at noon; an art party is 6 p.m. to midnight.

“Art in Transition Continued” is the continuance of a group art show held in 2005. For the first show, “Art in Transition,” 27 Washington, D.C.-area artists displayed their work in four transitioning commercial spaces in Silver Spring, Md. 

This year’s show is in the future home of Greater Goods at 1626 U Street, NW. This “empty” building provides the perfect opportunity for an organization such as artdc to host its own art show. Jesse Cohen, founder of artdc.org, explains, “Transitional space provides an opportunity to develop grassroots art shows, which currently aren’t available through existing spaces.”

The participating artists are: Steve Mead, Antoinette Wysocki, Jodi A. Patterson, John N. Grunwell, Dan Rosenstein, Alexandra Zealand, Alexandra Silverthorne, Kim Reyes, Emily Berl, Christie Ortiz, Rhett Rebold, Raju Singh, Steve Loya, Stephen T. Hanks, Matthew Best, Graham Meyer and Adam Eig.

“A unique feature about this show, aside from the great art,” Cohen says, “is that the artwork was selected by an external jury member who does not have ties to artdc.org artists.”

Mark S. Waskow, art collector and founder of the Waskomium in Burlington, Vt., is the juror for “Art in Transition Continued.” The Waskomium is a collection of contemporary art.
Waskow selected the work of 17 artdc.org members (there are more than 1,500 members of artdc.org). Pieces include 2-D, 3-D and installation art.

“He (Waskow) juried the art from artdc.org’s online gallery,” Cohen says of the selection process, “based on the idea that you can experience the presence of a work of art through its image.”

A fellow artdc.org member recommended that Waskow jury “Art in Transition Continued” because of Waskow’s support for the development of art communities.

Through events like “Art in Transition Continued,” artdc.org initiates artist discovery, encourages art discussion, advances creative development and promotes art collection, with the goal of developing movements in Washington, D.C. artdc.org provides virtual real estate for artists and art organizations. artdc.org aims to bridge the communication between artists of all mediums, galleries and collectors. With this goal in mind, the aim of artdc.org is to develop face-to-face relationships in addition to those in the virtual world.

##
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 09:55:28 AM by Jesse »

Offline david fogel

• Established Poster
  • Behold the turtle!
    • View Profile
Re: artdc.org Exhibition at U Street Space
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:20 PM »
great press!
www.eightyeightdc.com ; www.xindc.tv
Join us for 'X', a creative happening, every 3rd Saturday of the month

Offline silverthorne

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile

Offline jennifer

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • jennifer beinhacker - art outside the edge
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »

congrats to jesse and all the artists. :smt041.........hope you have a great show.

jennifer
jennifer beinhacker
"art outside the edge"
http://jenniferbeinhacker.com/home.html

flickr.com : http://www.flickr.com/photos/30462932@N07/

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
Thank you all for the help and company!  The show was a success due to great art and a lot of help!  many folks pitched in that weren't in the show, and that was really exciting!  Thank you to all of the artists,  Barry, Tom, and many others who helped with the lighting and hanging.  The work looked good and clean.  Thanks to Mark for selecting some good work, some that actually sold!  The place was packed, and our community gained some great attention along with the feeling that art is loved in DC!  Several folks stopped by that had heard of us before.  I asked where they learned about us, and they replied, "from your bumper stickers!"  That investment is really paying off!  Cheers to all of you that sport artdc.org stickers!  I hope to see more on your cars soon!  From this show we earned attention, sales, connections, networking, community awarness, and most of all, a feeling of excitement for art!  That pleases me to no end!  More great shows in the future!  Pics to come.  If you snapped a few, please post them!

Offline elm

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • re/collections
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 08:14:22 PM »
Congrats to all. I can't wait to see some pictures!  Sorry I couldn't be there. Maybe next time.

Offline BarryS

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 08:27:10 PM »
I thought the show looked (and sounded) great.  :)  Sorry I couldn't be there while the place was rocking, but I'm glad to hear it was crowded and pieces were sold.  As soon as I can find my firewire cable (doh!), I'll start editing a short video of the show and I'll also have an immersive quicktime pano up in a day or two.  Until then, here's a  flat pano.  Viewing note:  Jesse does not have the stature of Toulouse Lautrec in actuality.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 08:30:47 PM by BarryS »
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »
barry, that's really cool!  yeah, the show was really hopping.  i was there for a little over an hour, maybe more, and there was a steady stream of people coming in and out the whole time.  great, except for those dumb guys in suits who kicked over the show's sign out front right in front of us.  yeah.  ass goblins. 

everything looked great though, and when i left, there were sold tickets on quite a few works.  you guys did a great job!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 10:41:32 PM »
Yeah it was a pretty cool show.  I told those guys where to put it!  hahaha. 
Damn Barry, I've become a midget!!

Offline silverthorne

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:28:53 AM »

Offline Dembicki

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Matt Dembicki
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 07:35:09 AM »
This looks wonderful! I was bummed I couldn't attend cause I was wiped out by exhibiting at SPX, but it's very cool that there's so much going on! ArtDC is doing a wonderful job/service to get D.C. noticed as a hub for art--and not just hot air! ;)

Matt D.

Offline Pelican Arts

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Pelican Arts
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »
Thanks to Jesse for all his work on this show.  I enjoyed it -- both helping and attending.  Good art, good music, good people...  It was interesting to meet some more artdc'ers, and put together some real names and user names and faces and avatars and web sites and whatever.

Nice panorama, Barry.  I want a studio/gallery that actually looks like that -- with curvy walls and lots of space.  (Hmm... I think Escher did some designs that might work...)

And I do seem to remember Jesse being taller than that.
Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere. -- Gilbert K. Chesterton

blog.PelicanArts.com
www.39thStreetGallery.org

Offline lexi

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • alex zealand - sculpture
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 12:44:44 PM »
I have photos to post, but I have to run to work, so I'll figure out how to do that later.....

But I wanted to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the work, and I'm really proud to have been a part of the show.  And it was so much fun to meet everyone  :mrgreen: 
http://alexzealand.blogspot.com   AOM 2009 - 3rd floor, Area 16, the tunnel

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »
It really was a great show.  I look forward to all of your photos of the event.
For the first time, this show offered a small prize for the Jury's best picks.
1st = $125, 2nd = $50, and 3rd = $25.  The prizes were paid in Pearl Arts gift certificates. 
The prizes were picked by Mark Waskow.

1st went to Adam Eig a.k.a. steelman

2nd went to Alex Zealand a.k.a. lexi

3rd went to John Grunwell a.k.a. mahajohn

Offline grrlyj

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 09:06:13 PM »
hey jesse - that was super fun.  b and i enjoyed sharing food with you on sunday and getting to know you and a few other local artists.  i look forward to meeting more people - it feels good to be around artists.  your eyes are really beautiful and your positive energy is appreciated.

wow - the prize winning images really photograph well!  thanks for posting them and all you do.
jodi

Offline steve loya

• Established Poster
  • "we are reasonable people"
    • View Profile
    • steve loya art
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 10:01:59 PM »
Yeah, thanks Jesse for keeping the work up a bit longer so I could check it out Sunday. It was great meeting some folks and talking with 'em too. A great group of people and artists! I'll try and get some pics up soon on my Flickr.

Offline Lights_Shadows

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Lights and Shadows
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »
Thanks Jesse for all this hard work.
Was really fun to be part of it.
Raju

Offline John N. Grunwell

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • mahajohn.com
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »
I had a great time, and it was excellent to see some folks sell work and garner a generally enthusiastic reaction to their art.  I was also pleased to get 3rd place, the attention of beautiful exotic women :smt118 (OK, so I invited them), AND an offer from a good fellow to "set me up" with a friend of his.  So, yay!

However, I should point out that the Color Field attached to the message above is *not* the Color Field that I showed, although they look remarkably similar.   

Kudos to all!

John Grunwell
I laugh and laugh.  I don't know why.

Offline david fogel

• Established Poster
  • Behold the turtle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 05:25:36 PM »
Kick ass show!

Congrats to everyone involved.
www.eightyeightdc.com ; www.xindc.tv