Linked Events

• FLUX: January 27, 2007

Author Topic: FLUX: An Art Sensory Overload  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Henrik

• Established Poster
  • I think my brain is on fire.
    • View Profile
    • www.henriksundqvist.com
FLUX: An Art Sensory Overload
« on: December 19, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
Tune in to Flux on Sat at 5:00pm.
We will do a live web cast. This effort is supported by Radio Clarendon. They support multiple streaming formats.
Click on the link below.

http://www.radioclarendon.com

ART EXHIBITION:
“FLUX – An Art Sensory Overload”
(The event is free and open to the public. Suggested door donation $5)

WHEN:
Saturday Jan 27th

HOURS:
Saturday: 5:30 pm – 1:00 am

WHERE:
1415 North Danville Street, Arlington, VA 22201
The Danville Body Shop is conveniently located near the Courthouse Metro stop behind Whole Foods) between Clarendon Blvd. and Wilson Blvd.

DIRECTIONS:
Exit the Courthouse Metro, Orange Line, and walk 4 blocks West towards the restaurants in Clarendon.

www.artoulet.org

FLUX – “An Art Sensory Overload.”

In the metaphorical sea of urban America, artists have been drifting away with the tide, as sterile office buildings and chain franchises sail in and the rents skyrocket. In the latest area to fall victim to such conformity, Arlington’s Clarendon neighborhood, the Art Outlet is partnering with Walnut Street Development, artdc.org, Arlington Independent Media (AIM) and DC Conspiracy to cast the large anchor with its “Flux: An Art Sensory Overload” from 5:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturday, January 27, at the Danville Body Shop, 1415 N. Danville Street in Arlington, VA 22201.

The DC Conspiracy will hold their event “Washington DC Counter Culture Festival” at Dr. Dremo's from 4:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. You can find more information on their web site at www.dcconspiracy.com.

At The Danville Body Shop, your eyes will feast on paintings, sculpture, and similar visual art fare. You’ll also be treated to four bands, an interactive video/sound performance piece, fire juggling, aerial dance performance, and improv theatre. And if pleasing attendees aurally, visually and esthetically isn’t enough, there will be an art raffle and an art salon open to everyone for the duration. Save the relaxation for the wine and cheese set; this artistic excursion will overload your senses with the unlimited possibilities of artistic endeavor.

Cities are often judged by tourism statistics and their economies, which are worthy of consideration. But from Rome to Paris, from London to New York, from Toronto to Los Angeles, from Tokyo to Beijing, from Bombay to Istanbul, behind every great city is a vibrant artistic scene -- be it architecture, popular music, museums, theatre, the symphony, or filmmaking. In a modern world where graph paper often trumps the canvas, Art Outlet seeks to give local artists a voice and enable visitors to witness first hand what artists can do for neighborhoods.

By including representatives from virtually all artistic media, “Flux: An Art Sensory Overload” proves that while urban areas may be in flux, the artistic community remains constant -- providing character for neighborhoods being swallowed whole by corporate America.

The Danville Body Shop is located next to Whole Foods between Clarendon Boulevard and Wilson Boulevard, equidistant from the Courthouse and Clarendon Metro stops at 1415 N. Danville Street in Arlington, VA 22201.

Dr. Dremo’s is located near the Court House Metro at 2001 Clarendon Blvd. in Arlington, VA 22201.

For more information about FLUX, call (571) 214-9994.

ABOUT OUR PARTNERS:

About Walnut Street Development: www.wsd.com

Walnut Street Development focuses on urban, residential and mixed-use development projects that enhance the character of downtown communities.
Their goal is to develop distinctive addresses where people want to live, work and play.
"Everything is About to Get Better"

Walnut Street Development
3950 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone (703) 273-4140
Fax (703) 273-4130

Additional contact for Walnut Street Development:
Mark A. Schacknies, Director of Acquisitions
Phone (703) 273-4140 x. 24
markschacknies@wsd.com

About artdc.org: www.artdc.org

Artdc.org aims to bridge the communication between artists of all mediums, galleries, and collectors through an online venue.

Artdc.org promotes art communication with bulletin boards, automated galleries, and face-to-face meetings.

The artdc.org forum contains powerful tools to share techniques, self-promote, and discuss many themes of art. This aids cross-communication, which will inspire new and different creative forces to blend.

Artdc.org gives individuals the opportunity to network and produce relationships with others, allowing community to develop.

Artists will market and jury group exhibitions, create individual groups, and other events while producing art, and further promoting this community.

The purpose of artdc.org is to aid in this process!

About Arlington Independent Media (AIM): www.arlingtonmedia.org

Arlington Independent Media (AIM), formerly Arlington Community Television, is a non-profit membership organization providing the community with television production training workshops, professional production facilities, and channel 69, the Arlington County, Virginia public access cable television channel.

The Arlington Independent Media production facility is equipped with a three-camera studio, Betacam-SP and DV-Cam portable production equipment, two A/B roll linear editing bays, an Avid Express non-linear edit system, and a four-camera mobile production van. All equipment is available to members who have completed our television production workshops and intend to create programming for the public access channel.

To learn more about Arlington Independent Media and for a tour of our production facility, attend one of our free weekly orientation sessions. Orientation is held every Monday at 6:00PM, except holidays. No reservation is necessary.

About DC Conspiracy: www.dcconspiracy.com

Founded in January 2005, the DC Conspiracy has expanded to over 50 members who embody the best of creative comics talent in the DC area. The work we write, draw, edit, and distribute runs the gamut — from witty and literary works to comics which incorporate action, the mystical, and just plain nonsense. Individually we create, but collectively we're working to expand comics readership and fraternity through anthologies, minis, and webcomics, among other things.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:53:38 PM by Henrik »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: An Art Sensory Overload
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 11:43:54 PM »
This thing is going to be cool.  I like the space a lot.

Offline david fogel

• Established Poster
  • Behold the turtle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:24:55 PM »
Big Up!!

Looks like an awesome event.

Way to go everyone!!

:smt118 :smt118 :smt118
www.eightyeightdc.com ; www.xindc.tv
Join us for 'X', a creative happening, every 3rd Saturday of the month

Offline Arty4ever

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to this one! 

:mrgreen:
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline nemo

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
Re: FLUX: An Art Sensory Overload
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:13:43 PM »
I like this idea a lot, so how we gonna do it? what should we do?, how should we register?, how we gonna get together there? any other questions that i forgot to ask
Yuriy

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »
The registration topic is in the artist opportunities board.  Short and sweet, visit the art outlet site.  Link above in the 1st topic.  Register there, now.  1st come first serve...

Offline marina

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • www.marinareiter.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
For Visual Arts, how many pieces can we bring? when/ what time do we hang the show?

Offline SMF

• Emerging!
  • Symmetroscope.com
    • View Profile
    • Symmetrosscope.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »
Cool. I'm in. Same question as Marina -- more than one piece?

Hi Marina -- Sal from AOM.
Salvatore Ferro
Symmetroscope.com

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
As much or as little as you can fit in your 4' x 3' space.

Offline Henrik

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
Our schedule is up.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
FLUX - An Art Sensory Overload.
Organized by Art Outlet
Sat Jan 27, 2007
1415 North Danville Street, Arlington, VA 22201
Located between Court House and Clarendon Metro stop.

http://artoutlet.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=63

5:30 - 6:30 pm
Mud Pie

6:30 - 6:40 pm
Aerial Dance

6:40 - 7:30 pm
TICKLE FIGHT (Rock)

7:30 - 7:40 pm
Art Raffle (Part 1)

7:40 - 8:15 pm
Improv Theatre

8:15 - 9:15 pm
Jay Rees (Accoustic/Folk/Blues)

9:15 - 9:40 pm
Capital Fire Arts (Fire Dancing)
Music Collaboration (Aligning Minds)

9:40 - 10:00 pm
Art Raffle (Part 2)

10:00 - 10:10 pm
Aerial Dance

10:15 - 11:30
Parlor Scouts (Pop/Electronica)

11:30 - 11:50
Capital Fire Arts (Fire Dancing)
Music Collaboration (Aligning Minds)

11:50 - 1:30 am
Aligning Minds (Electronica/Atmospheric Soundscapes)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 09:18:15 AM by Henrik »

Offline Moira

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Girl on Silk
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »
Is there going to be any heat in the building during setup?  I'm wondering if I could rehearse there.

Offline Henrik

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
Yes there is heat.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »
Victor is our director of facilities and man of many trades. He is bringing over the tall ladder on Monday night. Let us know when you would like to come over. We would like you to bring your gadgets and figure out what we need to secure your silks etc.

There are twol large gas heaters in the building. If it gets colder we will get additional heating devices.
Regards,
Henrik

Offline D. Jean-Jacques

• Uber Poster
  • #artjumpnboogie
    • View Profile
    • MY ART
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
Man this sounds like it's going to be a kickass event...can't wait to check it out! :smt033
Twitter, Facebook, Instagram @DJJdotCOM

Offline q r i s s y

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Krissy Downing - Purveyor of Figments
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
This is going to kick ass! I'm Stoked! 

DON'T FORGET my band is playing the Counter Culture Festival!! ...ooh!  I should make a seperate post for that. Standby...

:smt118
We are actually several people. Or am I?

Offline MikeTheOrganist

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 08:28:59 PM »
Would very much have liked to perform with my group Kinetic Element at this event
www.mikevisaggio.com
www.myspace.com/MikeVisaggio
Have a blast everybody!

Offline Moira

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Girl on Silk
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »
I heard that DC Conspiracy was still looking for some entertainment for the Counter Culture Festival.

Offline enajer

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://musicfromthefilm.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
First:  The performance art on the Mall from 11AM to 4PM
Than:  FLUX. 

It will be a full, but rewarding, day.

This sounds great!

-- :biggrin: :mrgreen:
enaje (lower case)

Offline Amy

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 02:57:57 PM »
The Flux event last night was fantastic!! I was so excited to see so many people come out to support this event.

The music was great, and there was a fair amount of variety in the artwork that was displayed. The fire dancers were AMAZING!! They put on quite a show. Moira, the aerialist, was phenomal! Her performance was breathtaking. I heard a number of people comment about how amazing her show was.  :smt041 Best of all, I saw some people buying art!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get to make it down the street to Dremo's for the DC Counterculture festival. I was too busy selling T-shirts at the Artdc booth.

Thanks to everyone at Art Outlet, Arlington Independent Media, Artdc, DC Conspiracy and Clarendon Radio for putting this event together, and to Walnut Street Development and Dr. Dremo's for allowing Flux to be held at the Danville Body Shop and Dr. Dremo's. Also, thanks to all the volunteers who worked last night. I hope we can put together another event like this very soon.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 03:40:49 PM by Amy »

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelakleis.com
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 03:54:28 PM »
Last night was a GREAT time!  Henrik and the guys at artoutlet did a kickass job pulling this all together and the line-up of bands and performances were perfect!!  And, I sold one of my photos!   :mrgreen:  It felt like Artomatic, with the eclectic mix of artists and work and people coming and going.  A lot of my friends trekked out to the show and everyone had a great time...even my coworker brought his 5 month old baby out and he loved the fire dancing!  :)  I really hope we can pull together another show like this very soon.

Offline jron

• Mid-Career Poster
  • I came, I saw, I pissed my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 04:15:31 PM »
I had an awesome time and could not have been happier to see such a huge turnout for an art event. I took pics of the fire show and posted some in my gallery:

http://artdc.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=284

fire, fire..

-jron
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 06:49:41 PM by jron »