artdc Gallery group show
call for art
3/9/14 – 4/6/14
Install: 3/9/14 at 12 p.m.
De-install: Sunday 4/6/14
Reception: Saturday 3/22 7-10 p.m.
Live entertainment: Tweets and the Improvisational DJ group Sassoon
Previously we let the world know we think Twitter is an amazing frontier for creative connections and artistic communication. We curated a list of Washington, DC area artists. There’s no limitation to medium or experience. This list represents a group of DC-area artists who are working to connect with the world. There’s a wide range of work and it’s all connected via geo-location and Twitter.
We are producing our second social media connected show. This is #WeTweetArt
2.0. Previously, we met on 9/7/13 to celebrate the growing connection of artists and art lovers on social media. We invited artists via twitter to join us for a mass art installation. As a result, 42 artists installed work in the gallery. Find them here: http://artdc.com/2013/08/23/wetweetart/#more-1824
. At the space, artists met the public face-to-face, and we brought the life of the art we found on Twitter back to social media at that moment through live tweeting. It was a unique experience to see social interactions alive through smartphones, oddly quiet in a crowded room filled with the improvisational sounds of Sassoon.
As a result of the show, according to Topsy statistics, we saw over 1,000 tweets by 9/7/13 on a previously unused hashtag. That’s a lot of energy, which means we need to do it again!
We invite artists to promote this exhibit on Twitter and other social media platforms such as Facebook. We realize there are folks who may want to share in the fun elsewhere. Bring it on! Find our Facebook group here: www.facebook.com/groups/theartdc
Why do this? More than half of the U.S. population have smartphones according to Forbes magazine. http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/06/06/more-than-half-of-us-have-smartphones-giving-apple-and-google-much-to-smile-about/
There are over 645 million Twitter users. http://www.statisticbrain.com/twitter-statistics/
The potential for creative connections for artists at no cost is astounding and moving at incredible pace. With the right energy, one can literally connect with millions of people. What an incredible tool.
This is an open call exhibition of art for DC-area Twitter users. The artists must be on Twitter and they all must tweet @artdc about their work in the exhibition. This exhibition represents a tiny cross section of what’s out there. Twitter art activity is growing. If you’re a Facebook lover, you’re welcome to Facebook your heart out about this event, but you must sign up on Twitter. Need help? E-mail us.
Let us know by e-mail that you’re in: fineartventures (at) gmail.com (reply to this e-mail). If you can’t make the install, we would still love your social, promotional and interactive energy.Details / Requirements:
1. The size will range from small to 20”x30”, potentially larger depending on the number of responses to this call. We will notify artists before install about the exact limit. We are flexible on requirements within reason. That said if the whole list says yes we’re in, the size limit may be around 16x20” to 18x24”. It all depends! Contact us for more complex installation work. Small works are welcome considering the fact that we have over 100 artists on our art profiles list. Sculpture may be larger.
2. Bring 2 or 3 works and we’ll select 1 or more to fit the space.
3. Art must be ready to hang with D-rings and wire if it’s a wall hanging work.
4. 3D works are welcome. Limited pedestal availability. Please check to confirm.
5. Limited nudity, as the gallery is in a community center, and kid accessible. Contact us if you have questions.
6. You must tweet about the show once installation is complete. Use the hashtag #WeTweetArt
7. Tweet an image of your work with the hashtag #WeTweetArt and @artdc . Include dimension, medium and price.
#WeTweetArt @artdc “Self” oil on canvas by Melissa Glasser 10x10” pic.twitter.com/ZC0NKPDrXu $175
8. Stay tuned for details on the Best in ReTweet art award.
9. Retweet the call for entry for this show, and invite your artist friends to get involved by Twitter. To apply:
You must be a member of the DC-area Twitter list:
https://twitter.com/artdc/art-profiles/members Not on the list? No problem. Drop us an e-mail with your twitter profile. You must e-mail us a response with your interest to show right away
with a brief description of your work and a link to your website. Be ready to join us for the install. Space will fill up quickly!