Linked Events

• Chemical View: June 01, 2013

Author Topic: The Chemical View  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
The Chemical View
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Please join us Saturday evening for our reception of The Chemical View at the artdc Gallery!

Who: The artdc Gallery
What: The Chemical View
Where: 5710 Baltimore Ave., Hyattsville, MD 20781
Curator: Barry Schmetter
Exhibition dates: 5-26-13 to 6-23-13
Reception: Saturday: 6-1-13 7 to 10pm
Web: artdc.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/events/492773407461934/
Twitter: twitter.com/artdc/status/339388467073150976
artdc: www.artdc.com

(Image: Joanna-Knox)

Alternative-Process Photography Exhibition to Open at the artdc Gallery on June 1

The Chemical View: Alternative Process Photography will open on Saturday, June 1 at the artdc Gallery in Hyattsville, Maryland. The show will highlight the work of eight Washington-area artists working in the medium of alternative process photography. The show will include examples of tintypes, ambrotypes, platinum and palladium prints, cyanotypes, Van Dyke prints, bromoils, gum prints, and hand-painted liquid emulsion prints.

"This is a rare chance to see a wide range of handmade prints that represent the gamut of chemical-based photographic processes.", said Barry Schmetter, the show's curator. "The artists are drawing on the history of the photographic process to explore contemporary themes."

The artists included in show are: Scott Davis, Henry Friedman, Eddie Hirschfield, Carole Hollander, Suzanne Izzo, Joanna Knox, Barry Schmetter, and George L. Smyth.

Eddie Hirschfield www.emhphoto.com
Carole Hollander www.carolehollanderphotography.com
Joanna Knox www.joannaknox.com
Barry Schmetter www.barrys.carbonmade.com
George L. Smyth www.glsmyth.com
Scott Davis www.theflyingcamera.com
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:10:48 PM by Jesse »

Offline jknoxyoder

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
Re: The Chemical View
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
I am so excited to see how this show came together.  This is a great group of photographers who meet together to share ideas on large format photography and alt processes.  Barry Schmetter (the organizer of the show) is the one who taught me the wet-plate collodion process.  I am forever thankful for a wonderful teacher! 

I attached a picture of my studio from one of my recent shoots as I was preparing work for this show.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Barry is awesome! What a wonderful look into a behind the scenes moment. Thanks so much for sharing that!

Offline eddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
I'm honored that Barry asked me to participate. Unfortunately, I'll be out of the country for most of the month. I will be there in spirit...

I'm way behind on website updates. Here's an example of one of the images Barry selected:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:11:24 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com