Author Topic: Do you all prefer  (Read 725 times)

Offline funkergirl

• Uber Poster
  • white wave
    • View Profile
    • jlvart.com
Do you all prefer
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
Do you all prefer to frame with glass or acrylic?

i really prefer acrylic lately, because glass is so heavy, plus breaks so easily.  Although I know the acrylic is prone to scratching more and doesn't protect the art as well unless you get the special UV acrylic.

what do you all like?
cheers, darlin

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: Do you all prefer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
Depends on the work.  UV treated glass is more affordable than UV plexi, and comparing the same work, I like the look of a good piece of museum glass over UV plexi.  There is Museum grade plexi, but it's good awful expensive.  For my personal collection I do use mostly conservation glass.  It hangs on the wall, so the weight doesn't matter.  If I'm delivering artist proofs for shows, I like the advantages of plexi which is lighter.  But the UV protection is costly.  I have found some great scratch removers for plexi which is another must have.  For a while I was replacing plexi after each show because it scratches so easily...  But now that I can polish it out, no worries!

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »
I always go with plexi.  I've found a lot of galleries won't even accept glass because of the risk of it breaking.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
Really?  That's interesting.  I could see that, but haven't experienced that yet..  But I could understand that!
On a conservation level for my private collection a UV coat is a must, and that does effect price which often does have an impact.

Who here has been working with museum glass vs conservation glass, vs UV plexi vs Museum plexi, or just the standard...? 

I think it's really interesting to put a sample of each over your work and look at the color shift.  I've noticed in shows where you use the same mat color but a variety of glazing materials you will see a difference in colors of the mat between works..

Offline EdHahn

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Photos...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »
I use both museum glass and high quality UV plexi.  Many galleries won't accept shipped framed photos with glass.

For local shows, I'll use the museum glass.

ed

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
Good call.