Author Topic: Finish/protector for glass  (Read 854 times)

Offline evie

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
Finish/protector for glass
« on: May 15, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »
hey all,

i'm finishing up a modified bottle tree. the bottles are of the used wine/drink variety, and have been painted with acrylic as well as embellished with glitter and beads.

does anyone know a medium that i can use to cover the bottles so the color and materials will be preserved? this is an indoor piece, so it doesn't have to be protected for weather, just the ravages of time.

thanks for any ideas,
evie

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: Finish/protector for glass
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
Good question.  How does the acrylic bond to the glass?  Maybe you could coat the whole thing in acrylic resin?    But that would change the work of art.  Others?  Thoughts?

Offline evie

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:35 AM »
by acrylic resin, do you mean liquid glass? i hadn't thought of that, but i think it wouldn't work with the glitter. or would it?

Offline Gone

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:23:57 AM »
Acrylic gel medium should work well with acrylic paints.  It is not real hard though.  But if you want to build up a thick layer of clear material over the bottles the gel medium would work  Just give it several days to dry until it is clear.  Thin layers are probably better than one super thick layer.  A varnish for acrylic paintings would be another possible choice.  Golden MSA removable varnish might work well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:15:34 PM by PaulsArt »

Offline evie

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
thanks for the advice. any idea how the acrylic gel medium would work with the other media (glitter/beads)? i use varnish on all my other acrylic (wood) pieces, but i put it on before adding the beads/varnish.

again, i appreciate the input.

evie

Offline Gone

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
Hi Evie,

I might not be a bad idea to test it out on a sample piece first to be sure.  But I'd guess the gel medium will hold fine.  Acrylic paints on glass can come loose if they are wet down for a while, so a final varnish layer would be good idea to prevent that.  Some artists use acrylic on glass to make paint skins that they then remove and use in their work.  They soak the acrylic and glass in water a while and then it loosens up.  Glass is very smooth so it is not great for hodling paints of any kind.  If you roughed the glass surface up before painting it, like with an etchant perhaps, it would be a better surface for the acrylics.  But that would also change the transparencey and might not work for the look you are after.

Offline evie

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »
thanks! i'll sample the gel medium and a varnish.

evie