Author Topic: Epoxy Resin & Food Coloring  (Read 14893 times)

Offline TexelGirl

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • TexelGirl Art & Design
Epoxy Resin & Food Coloring
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
I've been experimenting with color recently.  I've also wanted to try my hand at resin casting but getting the clear cast resin and its actual dyes is an expensive proposition right now.  I discovered a box of clear epoxy resin in my tool box the other day - the kind that you get at Home Depot for household repairs.  I have no idea what the actual difference between casting resin and epoxy resin is yet so I thought I'd try a little test - mainly to see how the items I want to mix in would look. 

For the hell of it, mixed some food coloring into the 5-minute epoxy resin.  I mixed the two part epoxy together and added a few drops of food coloring.  I used green first.  I poured the resin to some test tubes I bought.  I didn't have any sand or a proper way of keeping the tubes upright, but since I do have several pounds of quartz crystal chips I filled a container with them and set the tubes into the crystals.  The epoxy gets very, very hot with the coloring inside of it so if you try this be careful.  The areas of the test tubes covered by the crystals stayed cool so the color remained true.  The parts exposed to air got very hot so the green became golden yellow.  It's a really cool effect.  I discovered that the thin layers of resin that set up in the mixing cups actually stayed green, unless it was an area that was thicker, then the discoloration started.  I also tried some blue food coloring.  Again, the areas of the tubes that were covered by the crystals (which allow for heat dissipation) remained blue.  The upper portions turned orangish-yellow.  I can't wait to try red and yellow dye to see what they do. 

I'll try and take some pictures to show the effects....

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: Epoxy Resin & Food Coloring
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »
Cool .  I can't wait to see some pictures.  I just gave a sold my dear departed gallon of resin that I've been hanging onto for quite some time to Cheryl!  For years now, I've been saying, one day, I'm going to do something..  So now I'm so excited to see several artists playing with Resin!  Neat.

Offline c.d.e.

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:46:02 PM »
Jesse and I thank you for the resin.  I have been experimenting with epoxy resin; and what I got from Jesse today is polyesther resin; which i will begin to play with tomorrow. Have been playing with epoxy resin and oil paints.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:50:16 PM by c.d.e. »

Offline Cacglass

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://artist-cindyann.tripod.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »
Are you all using this resin for casting sculpture or is it photo related?  I read a while back that Chihuly was experimenting with it and I bought some from Michael's.  I tried casting some small sculpture with glass bits in it but was not thrilled with the results.  I need to try this again.

Offline c.d.e.

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
[I am using it on paintings to create dimensional layers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 08:15:38 PM by c.d.e. »

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
sounds fun.

i'd love to see pictures of the experiments.
because i'm a bit annoying this way, i'd like to say that resins are really toxic. even if they are low odor like epoxies.

you should be wearing something that looks like this:

with an Organic Vapor cartridge.

Offline c.d.e.

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:24:06 PM »
I put a poorly taken photo on my gallery as could not as always figure out how to attach.  I have been using the epoxy on my open front porch, wearing gloves and holding my breath.  The polyester resin that I got from Jesse is more difficult to work with than the epoxy.

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:29:42 PM »
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:20:55 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »
Wow Sean. 
Not only does he do wonderful work, he takes his health seriously!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:20:35 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
TexelGirl, I would love to see some updates on your project and resin experiments.  Whatís new in this line?