Author Topic: Free Facebook ads  (Read 1073 times)

Offline tinyghosts

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • tiny ghosts
Free Facebook ads
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »
I just got an email from facebook about this ad promotion they have going on. If you've got a facebook fan page with more than 50 likes, they'll give you $50 worth of free advertising. Maybe they already sent you a link to the promotion, but if you haven't heard about it, here it is...

https://www.facebook.com/marketing?sk=app_208227685926043

Personally I'm not sure that the amount of hits you'd get for $50 (maybe 100 hits?) is ever going to be worth $50, but if it's free, why not?

The other part of the promotion is that if you get 100 new likes to your page, they'll give you another $100 worth of free ads. Again, I'm not sure getting $100 worth of facebook ads is really worth all that much effort, but I figured I'd post a link to my facebook fan club. If you want to help out, you can like it. Then post your facebook fan club and everyone else in the thread will like yours back. Maybe we can scratch eachothers' backs into getting $100 worth of free advertising each...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/tiny-ghosts/6103869153

(One thing I noted that they don't mention in the promo is that your facebook fan club can't be catagorized as a 'website' it has to be a 'product/brand', that's easy to change, but if you don't have it set correctly it'll tell you that you aren't eligible and it won't say why. Very not user friendly)

Offline tinyghosts

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • tiny ghosts
Re: Free Facebook ads
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »
Here's a broader philosophical question though, is it ever possible for $50 worth of internet advertising to actually be worth $50 to you? I can't see it possibly be worth it to me. I suppose I'll take it if it's free, but I'd never pay to advertise on the internet.

At a cost of about 50 cents per clickthrough, that $50 would bring about 100 people to my website. I sell merch at cost on my website so no amount of sales would ever make me $50, but for sake of argument, let's assume I made $5 per sale. I would need those 100 people to buy about three things to break even on the cost of the ad, so roughly one sale per 10 visitors. Now here's the thing though, based on my stats for last year, the tinyghosts.com website gets one sale for every 30,000 visitors! Meaning, I'd need to up my sales rate by 3,000x in order to make online advertising pay!

Now I realize that my site isn't the most user friendly, and I don't really push people to buy stuff (mostly because more sales just means I have to walk to the post office more often). But still, it seems to me that no one, no matter what kind of marketing genius they are, could ever possibly make one sale per 10 visitors. And it's not just the tiny ghosts merch, I also tried something similar years ago when Google gave me $300 worth of free advertising to sell my first novel. I burned though that $300 in a month and I didn't sell a single copy, not one!

Don't take this as a complaint, because I really don't care about selling merch or making $$$ (and if I really wanted 100 extra hits, I could just post a link on reddit or a popular forum/newsgroup. A reddit post gets easily 300+ hits and doesn't cost a dime.) But I'm just super-confused by the fact that there seem to be so many people/businesses advertising on google/facebook/etc. Are these advertisers somehow actually making it pay even though they only get a measly 100 hits for their $50?!?! That can't possibly be true. Or is everyone losing money and google/facekbook/etc just keeps reeling in more and more suckers to waste their money advertising products that no one is going to actually buy?

Has anyone had an experience where they paid for advertising and actually made a profit by doing so?

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: Free Facebook ads
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:07:41 PM »
I'll be interested to read comments on the subject.  I'm always curious to hear about philosophy and experience with web advertising results.