Author Topic: Patron Member's Show. Call for entry!  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Patron Member's Show. Call for entry!
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:02:49 PM »
December will be an exciting month. We look forward to the positive things that will come to the artdc Gallery in the year to come.  To celebrate, we will give back to the artists who support our activities by offering a Patrons' Exhibition.  Patrons are invited to submit 5 works of art, and we'll pick at least one or more from each patron.  Here's where it gets exciting: we'll allow patrons to submit another artist's work with their approval if the patron chooses to be a curator rather than an exhibitor.

What's so great about the this show?  The month of December will include a Hyattsville open studio day, which attracts great attention, on December 12th.  We had a similar event in May during the arts festival and managed to sell over 20 works of art!  This was unheard of as far as I'm concerned.  We'd like to develop the same kind of energy. 

It would be our goal to hang at least 50 works of art.

There will a lot going on during the reception. In addition to our Patrons' show, we're planning a cash and carry event, during which we'd also like to schedule lectures and performances to make this an amazing experience.

Become a patron member of artdc and exhibit your work in our annual Patrons’ Show at the artdc Gallery in Hyattsville!

For a minimum donation of $35, artdc.org patrons enjoy a number of benefits—access to patron-only forum topics on artdc.org, opportunities to help guide the direction of the organization and its activities, the good karma that comes from promoting emerging artists and energizing the DC art scene, and of course, a guaranteed spot in our December '09 Patrons’ Show.

You don’t have to be an artist to participate—as a patron member you can instead curate the work of one of your favorite artdc.org artists. (contact us if you have questions about this)

Our first Patrons’ Show will happen in December—an exciting month with a Hyattsville open studio day on December 12th. We sold over 20 works from the artdc gallery on the last open studio day in May!

To get involved:

1.Become a patron of artdc.org.

2. Send up to five jpeg images of your work (or the work of the artist you’re curating) to fineartventures (at) gmail (dot) com . Make sure the jpegs are 1500x1500 px or less and the file names include your name. The framed physical work should be no larger than 24” high x 30” wide. You may submit 3d work, but our floor space is limited, you must supply an approved pedestal.  Contact us for details fineartventures (at) gmail (dot) com .
(please include the title, 'Patron Member's Submission.')

3. We will select one or more of your submitted works to display in the show. Members will be notified of the final selection by December 1st.

4. Deadline for submissions: 11/15/09

5. Be at the gallery on December 6, 2009 to help hang the show, or make arrangements to deliver your work ahead of time.

6. When you deliver your work, it must include a removable tag on the back of your work with the Title, Artist's Name, Price, Materials, and contact information including email and phone number.

7. Come to the reception on December 12th, and invite your friends!

8. Deinstall on January 3, 2010.

More info:

Fine Art Ventures, LLC will not charge a commission on sold works for this show.  All sales will be conducted directly between the artist and the collector.  Fine Art Ventures, LLC will be pleased to provide contact info to collectors.  There is an optional 10% suggested donation after the sale of any work if the artist wishes to further contribute to our activity.

We invite patron members to get involved in planning activities for the open studio day and reception on December 12th. We’d love to have lectures, performances, and perhaps an artists’ market. The discussion is happening right now on our patron members’ forum! Become a patron member today and join in!

About the space:

The artdc Gallery is located in the burgeoning Arts District of Hyattsville, MD, just outside the District of Columbia. Our light-filled space in the storefront of the Lustine Center, a striking, re-imagined 50's car dealership, anchors this lively street of shops, restaurants, independent businesses, and artist studios. For more information, visit the gallery web site http://artdc.com/art-space/ .

Directions to space can be found on artdc.com or use this google map to create your own directions.

Transit via metro:
Prince Georges Plaza Metro Station
http://wmata.com/rail/station_detail.cfm?station_id=78

From Prince Georges Plaza Metro Station,
Take the F8 BUS towards CHEVERLY
Stop at Jefferson St and Baltimore Ave. (note this is a block or two past the gallery)
Stop at , walk to the gallery.  (Gallery is near the intersection of Longfellow and Baltimore ave.  See the map)

View artdc Art Scene Map in a larger map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106452436205793032856.000470593d00321a23aea&source=embed&ll=38.957628,-76.940163&spn=0.00249,0.004313&z=18
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:03:27 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: Patron Member's Show. Call for entry!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
Yes I know, we posted a call in the scene board.  We decided this call for entry involves the entire scene, so we made a bend in the rules this time!  With the gain of a gallery project, our expenses have increased astronmically, so take this opportunity to support us, become a patron of artdc.org, and return, we'll thank you with a show opportunity in the Patron's show this December.  

Wall space is limited, so submit your work now! 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:08:41 PM by Jesse »

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelakleis.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »
Please clarify: every artdc patron who submits work will have at least one piece selected for the show?  Is this correct?

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Yes.  This is a large "Thank You" exhibition.  We want the world of Hyattsville to see the work of our amazing patron members.  This is not a typical curated exhibition.  We are asking patrons to submit 5 works of art.  We will then select at least one work from each patron to be dispalyed in the gallery.  If you are a patron, and not an artist, you can curate another artdc.org artist in your place.  To curate another artist, you must have their permission, and 5 works of their art to submit.

This show will be some what first come first serve, however, that should not be a problem since we estiamte that we should be able to hang well over 100 works of art between the two rooms, which is also why we have a size restriction. 

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:25:07 AM »
I finally got around to becoming a patron member. I have found artdc.org to be incredibly helpful so I have been meaning to become a patron member anyway. The size restriction is a bit of a bummer but, having been to the space, it is obvious the gallery could not accommodate a bunch of large work. Most of my paintings are slightly larger than the size restrictions but I may have some smaller drawings completed by the deadline. Even if it does not work out for me, I'm happy to lend my support and look forward to seeing the show. Thanks Jesse.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »
Posted the call on artdc.com:
http://artdc.com/2009/10/17/patrons-show/

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »
A little over a month until the deadline for submission and we already have some great submissions.  We're very excited.  Keep the work coming!

Offline BarryS

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 01:24:08 PM »
I've got to figure out what to submit.  Could be a gum print or a tintype.  I've also been shooting more images for my Memory and Forgetting series.  There are some images I'm really excited about, but I have to wait to develop until my fixer comes in from Photographer's Formulary (the new TF5!).
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
Cool.  We look forward to getting some images in.  Please do before we run out of space!

Offline lilianeblom

• Emerging!
  • My art is poetry in color...
    • View Profile
    • LilianeBlom.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 09:34:17 PM »
Hi Jesse, before I send in the submitions and pricelist I would like to know if a comition is being taken of the pieces and how much it will be - also could we have more details on cach and carry?  Do we bring or own tables - is it outside

Thanks - looking forward to it!

Liliane

Offline hmsart

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Heather M Schmaedeke
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 06:54:38 AM »
Hi Jesse,
I am definitely interested and planning to participate.  I am working on two new pieces that are more abstract, along the lines of what I put in the 12" x 12" show.  I should have the pieces finished and ready to submit soon.   :smt082

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:15:18 AM »
hmsart.  Great I look forward to seeing the work! :) 

Liliane, Read the call above.  It has all of the details about the Patron's show. 
There are no details on our other public event yet.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »
We need 10 more members!  Show artdc.org some love!

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelakleis.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »
I'm confused.  In a post above, it was mentioned that space can run out, so hurry up and submit work.  But, now there's room for ten more? 

Will every patron member who submits work have at least one piece in the show, or is it dependent on space? 

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »
Don't be confused.  As it stands now, if we had no more patrons, every patron of artdc.org would have a work in the show.

However, we highly suggest to everyone, do not wait for the deadline.  There is a limited amount of space, as in any gallery. It's quite possible that we could move beyond the space allowed.

We'll stack the art salon style and hang it in both the gallery and studio rooms however if we had a surge of membership, there is a limitation to what could be hung, as in any show.  When we get to our limit, we will post for a waiting list. 

This is why it's first come first serve.  We felt it was the only fair way to deal with the growing number of artists!

As posted here:
http://artdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=12774.msg71798#msg71798

This show will be some what first come first serve, however, that should not be a problem since we estiamte that we should be able to hang well over 100 works of art between the two rooms, which is also why we have a size restriction.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:21:31 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »
I just talked to John Mason the intellectual property lawyer yesterday.  He's going to show up on the 12th to give a free lecture about art laws and what artists should be aware of.  This is going to be an amazing added attraction to our show!  Why?  artists buy art!  :biggrin:

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »
Just emailed the show to the Art Deadlines list!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 10:50:45 AM »
I'm looking forward to this show.  It means so much to  us to have your support!

Offline mishka

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mishkajaeger.com
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
I'm planning to submit something but, again, I have nothing finished. I am going to make some smaller derivation pieces from my artomatic set. Would you accept a proposal? Or only photos of finished pieces?

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
I know you and your work, so I would say I would love to read a proposal! :)