Author Topic: What does artomatic mean to you...?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
What does artomatic mean to you...?
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »
Forgive me for a touchy feely moment here, but I do have to say exactly how important this (Artomatic) is to me.  In the early 2000's for a brief moment, I thought I was done with this town.  I felt anything creative in the scene was happening in New York.  I had a few shows there in New York, made some connections, and boom that was it for me, I was sure things weren't happening, and then came 2004.   

Earlier in 2004 I started my crusade to connect with other artists.  About 6 months after this site started (artdc.org), I found artomatic, and realized that beyond my circle, there is creativity in this city, which had exploded with power and impact at the children's museum.  Artomatic added fury to my fire to push forward and make an impact.  I made friends because of artomatic, and realized that there was room for me to contribute in this city, and that there was an audience for me to work with.  So I send my thanks to Artomatic for letting me know that there is room for a creative critical mass.

Really, artomatic allows us to get outside of our little circles, in the end, that's what I hope artdc.org does too, which is why I'm so pleased to collaborate and act as a booster for Artomatic, if you'll call me that.

What does artomatic mean to you?

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
Re: What does artomatic mean to you...?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
In 2008, I saw my first Artomatic show.  I think it was near the new National baseball stadium.  Also, at the that time, I was making a huge career change.  I went from being an upper level manager in the Federal government to starting my own art business and following my passion -- to  be a visually creative person.  Basically, to create interesting and emotional art.  So, with the 2008 Artomatic show, I felt encouraged to pursuit my dreams.  Now, 2012, I am participating in my first Artomatic show -- I have had a few gallery showing -- BUT I don't believe I will have the exposure that Artomatic 2012 will bring me.

So, thank you Artomatic to continue to do what you do.  I look forward to meeting all the exciting artists at the show and hope to make some long lasting friends.  Some of my friends I have known over 20 years.  See you soon -- perhaps at the May 18 opening reception! 
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline TammyVitale

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Women, Art, Life:  Weaving It All Together
Re: What does artomatic mean to you...?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
I did my first artomatic in...hmmm - 2002 or 2004 (sigh - getting old).  Probably 2002 since I think it's been 10 years and at that point I was just starting out full time as an artist.  I loved it and have done every one since then.  What it has come to mean to me is a place I can show and sell work that lets me push my own envelope a bit (let's face it, even pushing my envelope it's pretty main stream but it still doesn't show well in Southern Maryland).  I have folks who follow me from ArtOMatic to ArtOMatic - this is lovely....I have "groupies" or "collectors" however you want to define it.  ArtOMatic has helped me discover just how much of a Type A I am and that I can scale that back for special occasions (like ArtOMatic) when we're all doing our best to make it happen.  I also like that it has broadened the community of people I know by name and face in the DC area since mostly I'm never in that area for anything but music at hubby's work.  I'm grateful to all those folks who make it happen, and to this board which has the best info and conversations ever around ArtOMatic.  Thank Y'all!
sculpture for your hearth and soul