Author Topic: Canaletto's pen and wash technique  (Read 2802 times)

Offline ricardo

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
Canaletto's pen and wash technique
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
So im trying to study how this really great artist did many of his drawings. He is unlike any other i've seen. The technique is just beautiful and very hard to copy. Harly any cross hatching, but just a gesture type of pen line.  I used to cross hatch a bit, but now after seeing this artist work im moving away from that, and it does seem to look better.

:smt102

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: Canaletto's pen and wash technique
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:14:33 AM »
Very clean work.  I'd like to see yours in comparison. 

Offline ricardo

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:27:09 AM »
Very clean work.  I'd like to see yours in comparison. 

ahh, sorry too embarassed to compare to this great artist.

Offline BarryS

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:28:36 PM »
Looking at Canaletto's drawings, I'm struck by how photographic his perspective looks, and I found he used a camera obscura.  Of course, Canaletto's mastery wasn't derived from his use of the camera obscura, but it certainly influenced his compositions and use of perspective.  Fox Talbot, one of the earliest inventors of a photographic process, was frustrated by his inability to draw using a camera obscura--leading to his research on "photogenic drawing".  As photographers we've cut out the middleman--and we secretly wish we could draw.  :)
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline ricardo

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:30:46 AM »
Drawing is all too important thats for sure. I read somewhere he did use the camera obscura to draw, but it doesnt really take away from his awesomeness(is that a word?). Id like to try the camera obscura one day if i ever figure otu what it is. Or even a simple grid.

Offline Loki

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »
To a large extent photography has replaced photo-realistic art but these illustrations are something in between. Very realistic but with an illustrative style especially in the foreground figures.  Yes, "awesomeness" describes it well. 

~S