Author Topic: New techniques?  (Read 836 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
New techniques?
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
Have you learned or experimented with any new techniques lately?

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
Re: New techniques?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:38:05 AM »
I tried to use Lori's subtractive technique, wiping away paint with cloth. It did not translate well on canvas for me, guess I'll stick to brushes for now. She makes it look so easy sometimes.

Since I used to paint with oils, using mostly traditional methods (dark to light, lean to fat,etc) I'm constantly experimenting with differnet mediums, combinations and ordering of layers using acrylics. I should take notes on what worked best since I keep forgetting how I made something work the way I wanted it to. I'm starting to settle in on certain things such as when to use gel verse regular medium. I even find Utrecht medium is better for the first layers- thicker builds up a little texture and Golden works better on the top layers.

I also plan to experiment with powdered graphite and charcoal some more soon. I'll post results if they come out OK.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
Please do post your results.  I'd love to see what's going on with the powdered graphite.  I think that could be fun to play with.

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »
started playing with tape sculpture

look at some pix--->>http://images.google.com/images?q=tape%20sculpture&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

I saw something on Lenny's blog about it....then saw a cool tape sculpture at the Blue Elephant up in Frederick & thought "wow I gotta try this"

Scotch tape is having a contest...google it

anyway so far I've made a tape ball, duck (yuk yuk, I had to), outboard motor, and a bunch of icicles

the icicles are also up in the Blue Elephant Art Center now

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Yeah, Lenny Gives a lot of praise to Mark Jenkins, and for good reason too.  Tape sculptures are really cool.  I like the fact that you are working through small works.

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »
I need to make a tape Washington Monument. I made a black wooden one in 2004 and kept the top pyramid since it was the most difficult part to build.

So now I can easily build a new one and embed red LEDs for the lights at the top

one thing I learned already -- it's worth buying Scotch tape ( or maybe 3M, et al ) because it's sooo crystal clear & much better than cheap yellow/foggy tape

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
Yeah.  The clear stuff makes a big difference.  I use it for yeast microscopy at work.