Author Topic: where to get matting done?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline wolfram

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Photographer
where to get matting done?
« on: October 28, 2004, 09:46:40 PM »
any suggestions on places to go to have some inkjet prints matted for a reasonable(cheap) price? maybe in N. Va. and if I were going to use frameless clips to hang my work can I use glass or should it be plexi? thanks for all the help jeff  :?:
-----------------------------------------
Architectural and Interior Photography
http://www.jeffwolfram.com

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Good question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 10:14:25 PM »
Good question.  If you want an excellent professional framer to do work for you, check with Mark at Design frames, and tell him Jesse sent you:

Address:  
806 W Broad St, Falls Church, VA 22046
Phone:
(703) 532-2660
http://www.designframes.com

An alternative, if you print standard sizes, you can save a lot of money going with precut mats and frames:

I'm sure you know these guys:
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/precutmats/
Though I'm bugged that they closed the art store in georgetown when they bought out the chain!!!!  :smt066

I like to go with custom mats because the quality is better, also I print full frame and the whole world seems to want to push you into 8 by 10 or 11 by 14.. no 8 by 12...  :smt108

Glass or plexi.  Good question.  Plexi is cheaper, however, from several shows, I've noticed it gets dinged, scratched, and is a bitch to clean.  Its advantage, is if you are mailing frammed work, it doesn't break.  You can get UV coated plexi. Glass is easier to clean, has a certain amount of rigidity, but it breaks! and good glass can be a fortune.  Museum/UV coated glass at a frammer can cost a pretty penny. :smt004

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelakleis.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 08:52:27 AM »
I get all my frames and pre-cut plexi from www.americanframe.com I totally recommend them.  As for frameless clips, glass would be heavy, plexi might work best.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Second thought.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 09:10:24 AM »
I agree that plexi is the way to go, since there is no frame structure to support the glass.  However it just should be known what a pain it is to clean plexi.  It is so hard to prevent streaks with any solvent.  The other problem with plexi is static charge.    For things like flaking tempera from the 20's and its a bad idea.

Oh Just as a second thought.  I bought frames form pictureframes.com and the miters or chops were bad, it looked terrible.  Their customer service was excellent, and they sent me a new batch.  Same problem, but not as bad.  I would recommend going elsewhere.  Since then I've switched to name brand molding, and you really can see a difference when you put the two together.  But that's separate from the issue since you're using clips.  I just thought I'd throw that out.

Another alternative would be to box mount your work and laminate, you can pick up supplies for this many places on the net.  This is a nice funky way to do things, and can tend to look a little more pro than clips, and you don't need a mat.  You could also consult with mark at design frames about this.

--Good luck!

dns ynko

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 08:23:23 AM »
actually when you using framing standard plexi it is more expensive than glass. you can get glass very cheap from places like hardware stores that use glass for windows and such. this stuff is not great, it tends to have bubbles and it is very green. plexi is not as bad as it seems. it is all in how you work with it, i used to hate the stuff myself. there are very east ways to get rid of the static charge. first use must use a soft rag, like the kind photographers use to clean their negatives, then use a mild dish soap and warm water. this is one of the easiest ways to clean plexi. you can also use different clean specifically made for plexi, small bottles can cost a few dollars.

a cleaner that works for both plexi and glass is the common rubbing alcohol, pharmacy stuff 70% alcohol. it is much better than any window cleaner that you will find. they leave streaks, this should not if it is sprayed on. dries very quick, fun smell and is great at getting grim off as well.if anyone is looking for a good framer, pretty good prices, in SE DC there is a frame shop called Newman Gallery and Custom Frames the address is 507 8th St SE DC, her phone is 202.544.7577. one thing most frame shops work with a two week turn around time, but if you are a bit flexible you can get things quicker. tell them in the beginning what time frame you are looking at and they will tell you what they can do. If you need to do this you will need to talk to frame shops within the next couple of daysto get it by this Sunday, remember the internet is not going to be there if mistakes are made.

d

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Yup.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 08:35:18 AM »
Yeah.  Top of the line plexi can be more expensive than possibly even museum quality glass.  However, I found plexi to be cost effective at about 5 bucks a sheet (16by20) if you go directly to the distributor.  And that in my book beats the green tint of hardware store glass.  I'm sure you could get a similar deal on glass going to the correct distributor.  Any work that I ship is always plexi.  

I have had good luck with alcohol to, that and the moisture from  your breath and that hand orange photographer's rag you mentioned.  Trust me, give it a shot.  I got that from Clive at design frames.  You'll be panting, but no streaks.

dns ynko

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 12:30:21 PM »
He is right, if you go to plexi people it will be better as far as price goes. if you do pick up a plexi cleaner, they also make stuff to get out minor (light surface) scratches. there is a place on edsall road in va, i believe that is acme plastics, there is also reed plastics. sorry i do not recall adresses or phone numbers, they take a couple of days to cut your stuff. check the phone book and see what you get, if you take care of your stuff plexi is a good alternative and has less color tint than the regular glass

good luck
d

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
no shit!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 10:55:59 PM »
Ha..! :smt023  the world does get smaller.  I buy stuff from acme or reed depending on where I want to travel.  

Here's the contact info.  I'm not sure about glass suppliers.  I would be interested in that also, if you've had experience with that.

Acme Plastics Inc:
5655 General Washington Dr, Alexandria, VA 22312
(703) 642-3030

Read Plastics Inc:
12331 Wilkins Ave, Rockville, MD 20852
(301) 881-7900