Author Topic: A new web site for Galerie Schiff  (Read 1338 times)

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
A new web site for Galerie Schiff
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »
Check out my new web site:  www.galerieschiff.com!  It's the same URL but an entirely new site, with many improvements.  As always, I would appreciate feedback.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: A new web site for Galerie Schiff
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
Clean site! I really like the potomac ice shot.

Offline lboocks

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »
Nice clean look! Love your Standing Buddha. I hope you don't mind my putting on my day-job marketing hat on for some feedback:

1. Please consider not requiring a password for people to see your resume. Reviewing your resume is one way curators check out potential artists for exhibitions. Potential buyers may also want to see your show history before buying. The password/encryption process is a barrier, and many people will not pursue it. I also strongly encourage you to make your resume a webpage for immediate access. Save PDFs for media kits or large writing projects (like if you write an essay as a curator) as your career grows. 

2. You say you don't do mailing lists. I highly advise to start one using a free e-newsletter platform service like a Mail Chimp, which lets people sign up and unsubscribe seamlessly. You will need to promote it so that people sign up. This is a great way to reach people when you have a show. I only do a quarterly e-newsletter, short and to the point, plus limited special announcements like exhibit.

3. On your pricing page, you say that letter sizes are "always" $100. Never say never, and never say always  :smt001 Prices need to adjust upwardly as your career grows. Plus outside factors (like an unforeseen spike in paper or printer ink prices) can impact your bottom line. Also consider a caveat at the bottom of the page like: "Prices current for 2015."

4. I would love to see an About page since I can't get into your resume. Even though you have Potomac images (and are on this forum), I don't want to assume that you live here locally.

5. Sizes in mm are difficult for many US people to figure out. Consider adding inches where you don't specifically mention letter size.

6. On the mixed media page, is that just a glossary or do you intend to post links there in the future?

Thanks for sharing your new site!

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
Thanks, Lori Anne for taking the time to provide feedback.  Let me explain, please. 

I suppose I need to reword the web site, because I intended to convey my willingness, indeed pleasure, to provide my resume.  But I am also concerned about privacy and identity theft, and thus ask that anyone who wants the details on my life at least give me their e-mail address.  My thought is that if someone is unwilling to share even that with me, then they probably are not genuinely interested in my work, or have some nefarious motive for wanting my personal information.  The statement about the mailing lists also reflects my privacy concerns.  I don't like getting unsolicited e-mail, and do not want people to think that I will abuse the privilege of having their e-mail addresses. 

On the other hand, I have taken your advice and added a page that lists my shows and participation in juried exhibitions. [after the post below]

On the topic of newsletters and social media:  I have a newsletter that I send once or twice a year to customers and selected curators and galleries.  When I started out, I sent the newsletter to everyone I knew.  However, I noticed from my web site analytics that essentially nobody aside from the established customers and occasional curators or gallery personnel was visiting my web site via the newsletter link.  Similarly I knew that in 18 months of being on Facebook, not only did I get zero sales, but also zero web site hits via that medium.  I came to the conclusion - along with a number of Fortune 500 companies, by the way - that social media like Facebook and Twitter are good ways of sharing information with your pals, but useless as sales generating devices.  Better to spend some money from time to time to advertize in something like Art News.

Re the mixed media page:  The links are already there.  If you run your cursor over the category name, you'll see that it's a link.  Maybe I should change the color of the font to make it obvious.

Thanks for the advice on wording with regard to pricing.  I've changed it, and added the usual prices subject to change without notice blurb.

Finally, regarding print size; my printer is set up in millimeters.  More importantly, a majority of the people who have bought my work live in countries where the metric system is in use, so it makes additional sense to cater to them.   Maybe I am wrong, but I expect that anyone visiting my site can divide by 25, if not by 25.4, and so can convert from millimeters to approximate (or exact) inches if they need to.  Stylistically, I find it unappealing to write something like 600 x 400 mm (23.62 x 15.75 inches).  But maybe you are right, and certainly H.L. Mencken would agree with your point ;-)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:39:08 PM by GalerieSchiff »

Offline lboocks

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 04:31:36 PM »
Exhibit history, other art-related experience, press, etc. on an artist's resume shouldn't put you at risk for identity theft. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience posting that info in the past. Posting one's art resume is pretty standard. As for e-newsletters, I personally like them because I feel they build community and let people get to know the stories behind my art. I hear what you're saying about social not delivering sales. This year I sold 4 paintings due to Facebook. This was a first for me, and I wonder if that will continue since Facebook is making it tougher for non-personal pages to hit followers' feeds.

Good luck with your new site! I hope to meet you in person one day :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:34:35 PM by lboocks »