Author Topic: vinyl lettering for walls  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
vinyl lettering for walls
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »
so i was thinking rather than paint my name on the wall or hang a banner, etc, to let people know who i am, that i'd look into making vinyl letters to stick on the wall. i want a cleaner look than paint will likely give me which is why i was looking into this. has anyone done this or have a  good source for this. a range of pricing would also be helpful.  as you might imagine, time is also a factor since i've been so preoccupied with finishing the pieces that i've let the actual display area slip a bit... though i did get my wall painted. :)

i'm also game for other solutions for putting a name / web site on a wall. i've been kicking around ideas, but sometimes it helps to hear what others are doing or have done to get those gears turning...

Offline Andrew Benson

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • www.andrew-benson.com
Re: vinyl lettering for walls
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
so i was thinking rather than paint my name on the wall or hang a banner, etc, to let people know who i am, that i'd look into making vinyl letters to stick on the wall. i want a cleaner look than paint will likely give me which is why i was looking into this. has anyone done this or have a  good source for this. a range of pricing would also be helpful.  as you might imagine, time is also a factor since i've been so preoccupied with finishing the pieces that i've let the actual display area slip a bit... though i did get my wall painted. :)

i'm also game for other solutions for putting a name / web site on a wall. i've been kicking around ideas, but sometimes it helps to hear what others are doing or have done to get those gears turning...

Some folks here have recommended local shops for this service here on the forums. I didn't have time to run around town to pick up lettering (and all the other stuff I needed for the show), so I used DIYLettering.com and it looks great. It took about a week to receive the order, but I specified ground shipping. It might be tough to receive an order before the last install day.

Offline Terry

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terry Sitz
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:44:55 AM »
I had originally planned to do that and I looked at Next Day Signs...they wanted $35 plus a $25 set up fee.  This was for a good size sign and two different lines of letters--whatever color you wanted.   Ultimately I made my own because I wanted a more handcrafted look.

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
I think I'm going with Next Day signs too- close to the office and can have done by Friday.

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelakleis.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
I've used vinyl from a different place for the past three AOMs, but they've disappeared.  This year I used http://wordsanywhere.com/ and for two sets of names (mine and the artist I share a room with), 6-inches tall, the total was less than $40.  Turn-around time might be an issue for you, though.  We're in the room right next to you, Erin.

Offline jknoxyoder

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
I use www.wallwritten.com.  I chose them simply because they have an awesome design tool that helps you visualize how the letters will look on the wall.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
If you are in a hurry shop local, got to General Type on New York Ave.  Tell Gail the owner that I sent you.

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
I used vinyl letters on my wall this year.
I got them at Michael's at Seven Corners.
They cost $9.99 and are removable.
They worked out wonderful.

Offline EdHahn

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Photos...
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »
I've actually printed out a banner using a laser printer (white on black), which was fine for my monochrome wall scheme last time.

ed

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »
I know install is done, I should have mentioned this, if any last minute artdc.org Patron's need a vinyl cut out, I have a plotter, and can do some text at no charge.

Offline hrussel2

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »
I know install is done, but I got my letters at Michael's.  They have a few different fonts and sizes (I think the largest was 8").  I used 6" and 4" letters.  They look really nice and clean.

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:45:44 PM »
Very nice display...I can't wait to see it in person.
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
Thats a very nice corner that you have painted yourself into.