Author Topic: introductions  (Read 40662 times)

Offline rvz06

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Richard von Zimmer Photography
Re: introductions
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2006, 08:37:55 PM »
heya peeps,

i'm a fine art photographer in arlington. professionally i'm a graphic designer. my work can be viewed here: http://www.rvonzimmer.com

oh and nice place y'all got here  :smt118

-rvz

Offline Renee

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »
Wow, it's amazing to read through this post and realize there are so many artists in DC all stuck in day jobs and longing to meet other artists.  I'm not alone! 

I'm an attorney/consultant in IT and an emerging photographer.  I started consulting independently so that I'd have more flexibility to pusue a career in photography.   I like shooting creative portraits and travel photography and plan to pursue commercial work as I gain experience.  I shoot digital although I'm in awe of those who've mastered shooting portraits in traditional black and white - I may revisit the darkroom someday.  I'm hoping both to meet people I can talk photo-techno talk with (and bounce technical questions off) as well as those with an eye for art and beauty in general (and feel mutual inspiration). my site is http://www.reneecobbphotography.com

Renee

Offline hjones

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Hugh Jones
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2006, 11:38:42 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Hugh and I recently found out about this site at the CHAW photography opening this past January. Great idea and I am lucky to have found you all.

The medium for me is photography. I was very creative as a child, but pursued psychology and engineering (day job - patent examiner). I picked up a camera about 10 years ago, but only took snapshots. My passion took over and I started taking classes at Corcoran (excellent teachers!) last spring. I started "seeing" about a year ago, and haven't looked back. I recently won honorable mention for a piece called "Postcard from the Edge" at the CHAW exhibition (sorry about the plug, but it meant a lot to me  :biggrin:).

What is photography to me?

The only way to take a photograph is with the heart. A photograph is a visual haiku; a tone-poem (thank you Suzanne and Marcelo for the teachings).

I take photographs to experience life and to express what can't be expressed in words.

I explore all photographic mediums and approaches. I  work with film, digital, pinhole, polaroid, zone-plate, infrared, ultra-violet, and alternative processes. I experiment with abstract, interpretative, psychological and time-lapse photography. I also experiment with combinations of these approaches. I carry out extensive research to investigate new techniques and approaches.

I directly experience the world and see it in a new way each time I take a photograph. Each photograph is an exploration without pre-conception. The inspiration can come from anywhere - memories, feelings, books, songs, or whatever is happening before me. I begin by
experimenting with a process or a theme. I explore the concept and follow the image to where it takes me.

Please visit my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/sabattier

Regards,

Hugh
Hugh Jones

Photo Gear: Two eyes and a heart

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

alelx

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2006, 01:51:11 AM »
Hi everyone,

Happy to join this board.  Thanks so much Jesse for your efforts in connecting the DC art community!

I'm Alex.  Originally from Miami, and am now studying at Georgetown Law.  Been long interested in modern art, especially conceptual art. 

Came across this wonderful printmaking place - workshop, studio, gallery all in one - a couple months ago, and have been really enjoying taking etching classes there each week.  The place is Union Printmakers Atelier, http://www.unionprintmakers.com/
located at 926 N St. Rear NW (926 Blagden Alley)
and I highly recommend it!  It's a large, spacious, warehouse-type space, with all the old school equipment for etching, lithography, engraving, etc.  Has a really good vibe and the person that runs it, Scip Barnhart - who also teaches at the Corcoran - is a great teacher.  The classes are pleasantly affordable.  Even if you have no interest in learning the techniques of printmaking, you should drop by and check out the space, the art, the equipment, and watch the artists who come in and do work in there!

Alex 

atif0137

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2006, 01:22:57 PM »
hey everyone......
my name is atif khan, i havent posted on the forum before but i've been reading......... I'm 27, been in DC about 2 years now coming from detroit. i live in adams morgan, and what a wonderful place that is (even if its raining today)
well hey check out some of my artwork at:   

http://www.ventsilence.com/atifkhan

i would appreciate some feedback / criticism as well................

thanks!
-atif

Offline clayfetish

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kimreyesart.com
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2006, 03:10:07 PM »
Hey Atif,
LOVE your work- it comes across very Goth to me-which I'm very into!
Can't wait to see more work!  Welcome

Kim
Kim Reyes
ClayFetish
Maryland
www.kimreyesart.com

ghenador

Shalom Dear Artists!
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2006, 03:58:24 AM »
I am an messianic artist and I am  interested in colaboration with jewish and messianic artists!

If You have some times we can make some project togever.

Respect
Ghenadie

www.ghenador.com

Offline hmsart

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Heather M Schmaedeke
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2006, 01:55:36 PM »
Welcome Atif and Ghenadie!
I like your portfolios.

Offline ARTSETW

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2006, 07:56:11 AM »
Hello Jesse and Friends, My name is Eileen Wold and I am a painter.

I just moved back to DC from NYC where I was painting full time in the east village.  I went to school at Loyola in Baltimore and got my degrees in Studio Art and Art History.  I also studied at the Leuven Art Academy in Belgium. 

I work with mostly oil on canvas and generally paint landscapes.  About a year ago I started painting smokestacks.  The kind of post industrial landsacpe you find in northern new jersey and along 95.  I just started painting full time about 2 years ago so i am still just trying to make ends meet but the whole thing has been worth every sacrafice. 

Great to meet you all!
www.eileenwold.com

fangedfem

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2006, 10:01:07 PM »
Hey there all - just saying hello is all  :biggrin:

I am a photographer/digital artist who lives in the Charlottesville area.  Looking forward to meeting fellow artists through this site.

www.creativeemotion.com in case anyone wants to view my work.  There is mature content on the site so please be warned.  In any case - enjoy and I am off to explore  :smt001

Offline Miki531

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 12:55:38 AM »
Hi creative artists,

I'm Miki. I just joined this group recently. My Bachelor degree is in Art and Psychology. In my grad school, I studied social work and art therapy. I paint in Oils and also do shadowbox collage. Most of my works are contemporary. I love looking at surrealist's artworks.

Good to know that there is a group of artists here in D.C. area!

Miki

Priscille

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2006, 07:55:37 AM »
Hello!  My name is Janice .I have been actively painting in mixed media now for the past 2 1/2 years.  I have had no formal art training,but am continuously learning and trying out new things.  I basically do portraitures of children and animals, but in between commissions, I do my own paintings, based on photos taken of things that inspired me.

I do not have a web-site yet, but do have some of my work showing under Ann Kullberg, the portrait artist.  I am a member of FMP, an on-line magazine for colored pencil artists.

In researching a name, I found this site, and found it to be quite informative, so I registered.  I hope to become active in the posts. 

cnfelix

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2006, 07:33:55 AM »
Hi I am a CG designer in Guangzhou, China.

i m a rookie and hoping to get some inspirational idea from here.

i also really appreciate the chance to know any new friends here.

Offline Jmason

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bktc.net
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
Hello Jesse and Friends, My name is Eileen Wold and I am a painter.

I just moved back to DC from NYC where I was painting full time in the east village.  I went to school at Loyola in Baltimore and got my degrees in Studio Art and Art History.  I also studied at the Leuven Art Academy in Belgium. 

I work with mostly oil on canvas and generally paint landscapes.  About a year ago I started painting smokestacks.  The kind of post industrial landsacpe you find in northern new jersey and along 95.  I just started painting full time about 2 years ago so i am still just trying to make ends meet but the whole thing has been worth every sacrafice. 

Great to meet you all!
www.eileenwold.com

Eileen,

Your work is great.

John
Nothing contained herein should be construed as legal advice. If you believe you have a legal issue, please consult an attorney. That being said, inquiries from artists are always welcome.

rclareschreibman

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2006, 04:13:41 PM »
Hello,

My name is Rachel Schreibman, I am the Hirshhorn Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art's Communications and Marketing Intern (now try saying that ten times fast!) I look forward to posting our events on artdc, because artdc is a great source for information, and because the upcoming events at the Hirshhorn are truly incredible. Visit our site for details, www.hirshhorn.org and don't forget this Thursday is Meet the Artist: Hiraki Sawa at the Hirshhorn, Ring Auditorium, 7pm. I recommend you arrrive early to ensure seating! I look forward to hearing from all of you as well about your art, your events, and your experiences. Thanks, Jesse!

Best,

Rachel

Offline onawadecembers

• American Indian silk painter
    • View Profile
    • A Hodgepodge Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2006, 06:08:05 PM »
Hello ArtDC!!

A quick hi to a newbie member...my name is Valerie and I am an artist, figure model, teacher and costume designer.  I've recently undertaken a new series of silk paintings inspired by native american heritage.  Feel free to check out my rather unconventional website- www.valeriestpierresmith.8.com.  The "What's New" link will take you to a couple of samples.

At any rate, I am looking forward to learning more about the art scene, expecially places to get my work up.  OH!  And if any of you haven't heard, there is a great new organic/fair trade store down by Logan Circle- Future Green...they are also looking for new (realistic) artists.

Ciao for now!!
"We do not inherit the earth from our fathers; we borrow it from our children."

Offline milad

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • One DC Artist
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2006, 02:22:07 PM »
Hey it's milad. I used to roll with the ArtDc gang last year. Had a bit of a self-imposed exile as I cleared up stuff like college and getting my health in order. I'm ready to get involved in the Artworld again and make some friends doing it now though.

My website is http://miladmeamarian.blogspot.com/

I've posted pics from my senior thesis show up now if anyone's interested. It was a real personal tipping point, because I've never sold anything before and I sold 4 prints from that show! See y'all around the board...

Offline Arty4ever

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »
Welcome back Milad! 

:mrgreen:
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline milad

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • One DC Artist
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 08:10:09 PM »
Thanks, it's good to be back. And I'm looking forward to hanging out with y'all in person again soon. I'm sure there's a lot of new faces and new Artwork to see :)

mhgraph

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »
Hello all.  At this point in the lifespan of this board, I imagine we all know Jesse, but not necessarily each other.  It'd be great if everyone could give a blurb about themselves.

Anyway, I'm Tami.  I'm a first year grad student getting my Masters of Fine Arts at Towson.  My focus is black and white photography, mostly having something to do with alternative presentation.

Im Mark, Fashion and Landscape photography.  Anyone else in Photography?

Mark H.