Author Topic: Show conflicts / Call for Entry Etiquette  (Read 802 times)

Offline Roberto Gato Echanique

• Emerging!
  • Award-winning artist/designer for stage & gallery
    • View Profile
    • Bobcat Arts.com
Show conflicts / Call for Entry Etiquette
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
As I adventure in to the world of what might be called "Visual Arts" (as opposed to Performing Arts design/production, which I've been doing a long, long time) I have run in to a problem I'm woefully unprepared to address and would like the community's opinions on it:

What is the etiquette for using the same inventory when applying for conflicting calls for entry?

For example, say there is a show for still life and one for flowers (architecture & cityscapes, portraits and children, etc), and I have paintings that could go in both, but they overlap in install/show dates?

You don't know which (if any!) shows you'll be accepted in to when you apply (or at least I don't, I'm not so famous).

Do you apply for both and politely decline one? Only one and hope it works? Apply for both and tell both "this may be accepted elsewhere and pulled early" if the overlap/conflict is only a few days?

I'm lucky to be able to sell a good bit of my inventory not long after making it, so my standing inventory is kind of limited. Thoughts? Opinions?

www.bobcatarts.com

An artist and designer for gallery and stage. I document our realities as an explorer from our fictions.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: Show conflicts / Call for Entry Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
I see what GalerieSchiff says, and it does make sense. After producing over 40 shows of other artistís work, I do find it a bit frustrating when folks apply for things and donít follow through.  That said I can also see the need as an artist to apply for a ton of things to get out there. I realize Iím not helping here. Maybe a good answer is to make more art so if you did get picked by 2 shows, youíd have work for both!

I see an application as a desire to show with a gallery not necessarily a commitment, as long as you havenít signed an agreement. Though if you did decline, I bet it would limit your chances to work with them again in the future. So weíre back to what GalerieSchiff said. Youíve got to weigh your options.