Author Topic: rush fees  (Read 4410 times)

Offline theartmonkey

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
rush fees
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »
What are your standard guidelines for rush fees? I know the standard from GAG and AIGA but just curious if any of you charge them and what your rules are for them for both web and print work.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: rush fees
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
Interesting question.  I've been with a frammer for years because I needed a job ASAP, and he was the one guy who wouldn't charge a crazy fee for cutting some matts the same day.  I send him business any chance I get.  So I'm curious about the client.  Is it a new job, or a regular customer.  Would it be a hassle to do the job quickly?

Offline Arty4ever

• Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »
For me, it depends on how busy I am.  Sometimes, when I don't have a lot of projects I'm working on, I can meet a rush deadline and won't charge anything extra. But, when I am juggling a bunch of projects and a client wants to push up a deadline I give them the option of paying an additional fee on a sliding scale (up to the 50% of the original rate) depending on how soon they need it.  

When given the choice between speed and price I find that most clients don't mind waiting a bit longer if they know they will receive quality service at a competitive rate. But, some don't mind paying extra for expedited service and I don't mind pushing them to the front of the que if it means I make a bit more.

There's an old saying that goes...  "Quality, Price, Speed — pick any two"  
;)
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline theartmonkey

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »
I don't typically charge them unless it is extenuating circumstances.

However, I had a client that asked at midnight last night, expecting me to work from midnight to 8 a.m. and when I even mentioned rush fees, they said they were offended and that there are tons of starving designers out there in this economy who would like the work, oy vey. Clearly, designers do not require sleep or food, ever.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:28:35 PM by theartmonkey »

Offline Arty4ever

• Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »
They were offended?! 
:smt104

That's the type of client that isn't worth the time. (rush or not)
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
That's a rush beyond rush.  Quite unacceptable.   

Offline theartmonkey

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »
Just found this quote out of the "Advice" section of this year's AIGA Salary Survey --
"When you decide to compromise on your standards for a good client—e.g., your pricing or the time required to get
something done—be selective about to whom you’ll offer that kind of special treatment. This is important, because
you’ll never turn them back into good clients, requiring you to replace them when the economy turns around. At least you won’t have to replace your entire client base."

Very fitting!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »
Very good quote.  Have you worked with this client before?  Otherwise it sounds like a bit of a scam to me.  I haven't heard of anyone, unless they are in a different time zone that would require that sort of working situation and not expect to pay extra.  I've heard of same day results but midnight to 8am is un acceptable unless maybe it was a 1hr job in an emergency for a freind. 

Offline theartmonkey

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
I've worked with them for many years actually, but they often have a big temper and a very last minute mentality, which is frustrating to say the least.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
Oh that sucks.  I can't say I know how I'd react, but it's one of the reasons I never wanted to be a full time photographer.  Who needs crap.  Especially from angry brides.  (different story.  I know.)

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
so what happened?

Offline theartmonkey

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »
Nothing really happened that is new to me, but I was just curious if others charge rush fees and how they handle it, how they decide if it constitutes a rush, how clients react, etc.

Basically the client expects me to be available literally 24/7 including nights, weekends, holidays. When I try to draw the line or suggest that if they need that level of service, it requires a rush charge, they freak out and tell me there are a gazillion people who want the job and they are offended by my unwillingness to answer their phone call and/or email at 2am to have something finished by the morning. Then they tell me my standard rate is too high as is (while I am confident that it is not too high), so how dare I suggest a rush charge. If I can't do it fast enough, they'll find someone else.

Then, I direct them to a recent salary survey which states my rate is average, as well as AIGA guidelines/suggestions etc. regarding rush fees, and tell them that while they could find a cheaper rate from someone with less experience, they likely would not save any money because said designer would be slower from lack of experience, and their service (and timeliness) would suffer.

Situation ends, they say "Of course we don't want to hire anyone else! We are happy with you!" Fast forward X months: rinse, wash, repeat.

While they are among my steady cilents, I am not lacking in clients or work. If they want to hire Mary-Just-Graduated for $10/hour who wants to be available for work at 4 am, that is just fine with me. I have stated in previous situations (calling their bluff), "If you know someone who is cheaper who you are happy with, I will be happy to help you transition to the new person." Then it turns to "Of course we don't want to hire anyone else! We are happy with you!"

Oh, the joys of self employment. Thankfully, this is more the exception than the rule.