Author Topic: QR codes?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Leslie Albin

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
QR codes?
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
Is Artomatic going to be providing artists with QR codes?  I gather AoM@Frederick did - an excellent idea.  I'm remaking my signs to include one but am wondering whether I should plan a spot for an "official" one if one's coming.

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
Re: QR codes?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
AOM@Frederick did not provide QR codes but did provide a link to one provider.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
There are a number of good websites out there that will create a data matrix for you.  I recently made one for my shop of course that has nothing to do with AOM :)  

Thanks sboocks for the response!

Offline Russ!

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Surreal Art of Russ McIntosh
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »
I usually use http://www.qrstuff.com/ just for the sheer fact it is easy to remember.
Surreal Art That Entices The Mind
http://www.RussMcIntosh.com

Offline BarryS

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
We actually considered it a number of times, but Eric--our marketing/PR guru pointed out that studies estimate that only 1% of people will use a QR code.  So we're going to have some stickers that identify each artist's space number for our wayfinding system.  If you don't like the sticker you can remove it, but it will tie in with a very cool system under development (fingers crossed).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:42:55 PM by BarryS »
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
I'm excited!  Have I said that enough?  I like the sounds of the wayfinder system.

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
Was going to start a thread asking what your experiences with QR codes (if you've posted any) have been, then remembered this thread, so it's not a zombie, I have new questions :-)

On Friday Saturday night between 5 - midnight I had about 750 hits to my website from the code I posted on our wall. If we had 8000 visitors and 4000 made it to the 10 floor, that's a pretty good rate. Granted, there are a lot of variables that make tracking this wildly unscientific. How many people really came to 10? How many really came into our room? How many scanned the code just because they thought it was the punchline to a joke? etc etc

No way to know these things, but I was just curious what other people's experiences have been, using codes in their own space, using codes to buy work, or just using codes to learn more about an artist or piece.

I know the codes tied to individual work can be super-handy for impulse buying the work (see also: the Jared Davis piece I snapped up opening night). I didn't have time to set anything like that up this time, but it seems to be working well for those who did. Making the purchase process as friction-free as possible probably doesn't boost one sales *that* much, but it certainly makes for a more pleasant process (IMO).

edited because I can't tell the days of the week anymore
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:53:28 AM by rebecca »
http://www.meanlouise.com
neither mean nor louise

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
Good on you!  I've received almost none through the QR code according to the analytics (I do partially blame that on my cute business cards).  Using them to buy the work is a great idea, that didn't even cross my mind.

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
I meant Saturday, not Friday. Meet the artist night. Friday was super slow, we did not have 8000 visitors on Friday :-)  I'm sick & a little delirious, was just following Tracy around while she restocked bars & I kept insisting today was Wednesday. I think I'll take my feverish self to bed :-)
neither mean nor louise

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
Good on you!  I've received almost none through the QR code according to the analytics (I do partially blame that on my cute business cards).  Using them to buy the work is a great idea, that didn't even cross my mind.

I think good cards are essential and far more useful, especially longterm, than a code on the wall that can only be accessed from on-site.
neither mean nor louise

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
Ha!  Yeah until people just grab them like trading cards and then DON'T contact you and you get to order more.

Bitter much?  Yes, yes I am.  About that and the people (seemingly able bodied) who take the elevator for one flight of stairs ;)

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
...About that and the people (seemingly able bodied) who take the elevator for one flight of stairs ;)

I did noticed that a lot too!
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline EdHahn

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Photos...
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
Ha!  Yeah until people just grab them like trading cards and then DON'T contact you and you get to order more.

Bitter much?  Yes, yes I am.  About that and the people (seemingly able bodied) who take the elevator for one flight of stairs ;)

Seriously, having them take all of your business cards, and having to replenish, is all good news.

I'd be more worried if no one was taking the cards.

One should budget on mass quantities of cards (covered in a thread elsewhere).  When you can get 1000 double-sided full color for way less than $50, it's not a huge investment...

ed

Offline Russ!

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Surreal Art of Russ McIntosh
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
I have QR codes next to each piece, so people can buy instantly or to learn a bit more about each one. Several of my pieces are based on music, so there is a link to a video to listen to while looking at a particular piece.
Surreal Art That Entices The Mind
http://www.RussMcIntosh.com

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
I need to go check that out, Russ. Great idea! I also need to quit posting on the forums and go do some work. :-)
neither mean nor louise