Author Topic: Green Army Men  (Read 3880 times)

Offline jlhussey

• View Profile
Green Army Men
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
Is there any significance to the toy army men that have been placed in various areas?  I've seen them here and there throughout Artomatic.

Offline BarryS

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Green Army Men
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »
There's an artist piece that includes a fish tank full of army men with encouragement to distribute them.  Unfortunately, visitors have not always been respectful of the art when placing the figures.  I prefer not to do this, but if this isn't working out, the artist will have to remove the tank.
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
There is no such thing as respect when dealing with the public.
The nimrod sticking pink duct tape at random intervals as he went down the stairwell during the fire evacuation last night could be one of the posterboys.

I didn't notice the army men. I'll have to look for them before people complain.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:32:01 PM by AHendricks »

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
I found one in an artist's space Saturday & tossed it in the trash

this is one of those ideas that seems fun at first...then becomes a problem

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
There was one sitting on the table with my post cards- no big deal in my case.

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
Husband and I started collecting the army men that had been placed inside people's artwork or on their frames last week. There were too many for us to manage so the following day, while Geoff and I were GMing, we sent a few artists to do a sweep of the second floor to collect the army men and repatriate them to their tanks. (Barry was out of town at the time but I know he and Jeanan are now officially working with the artist on this so I have neither official info nor input into the issue).

The figures had worked their way into every artist's area on 2 and I suspect visitors see the tank, think it's a cool idea, grab a couple, and then get tired of carrying them around and abandon them.

I mention this because the figures were in many of the sculptures on the floor and I want to promise you all that I personally removed the figures from sculptures so that no volunteer would have to feel responsible if a piece had gotten damaged during removal. I also wouldn't have attempted to extract the little bastards from a piece if it looked like a damage risk - luckily this was never an issue. It's not that I didn't trust the volunteers that day - but I felt like 1 person should be responsible for any work that involved possibly coming into contact with artwork. I dragged Nancy around with me as both witness and helper :-)

I also mention all of this because I know lots of photos were popping up on instagram and flickr of artwork with army men in or on it and I wanted to assure any of you that might happen to see your work so-adorned that, as of last week, we'd removed all of the army men.

If they continue to migrate into your work and this is a problem, drop Barry an email to let him know.

I agree that they aren't causing any harm when they're just sitting in someone's postcard holder or on their table but artists may not want the addition of a politically or culturally loaded image into their exhibit space that they're worked hard to establish a specific tone or theme for so overall it's better if they aren't left anywhere on the floor outside the original artist's space.

http://www.meanlouise.com
neither mean nor louise

Offline jmerchlinsky

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
I was a floor monitor the 2nd floor a couple of Saturdays ago.  Spent about 2 hours hunting those guys down until I convinced myself that I had returned them all to their barracks.  I think a note from the artist asking participants (in his project) not to leave them around the building would go a long way towards alleviating the problem.   

Offline Christopher

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • www.ellogo.com
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 02:34:22 PM »
As of Sunday the 27th, my piece had garnered four soldiers, probably because it's a playful kinda piece. I was okay with it. I saw it as a seal of approval, but I have been known to be delusional.

If there is no harm done, I like the idea of participants interacting, playing. Too bad they're not kewpie (sp?) dolls instead of Army men.

Or ants.
BRAVE NEWorlds!   www.ellogo.com

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
I was a floor monitor the 2nd floor a couple of Saturdays ago.  Spent about 2 hours hunting those guys down until I convinced myself that I had returned them all to their barracks.  I think a note from the artist asking participants (in his project) not to leave them around the building would go a long way towards alleviating the problem.   

Last Thursday the artist put up a note on the front of the tank asking visitors to take the army men out of the building and not leave them in other artist's work. I think the idea of the project is really fun, to clarify, I just don't think visitors should be putting them into sculptures where they don't belong, either endangering the art or changing the artist's intent.
neither mean nor louise

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »

Last Thursday the artist put up a note on the front of the tank asking visitors to take the army men out of the building and not leave them in other artist's work. I think the idea of the project is really fun, to clarify, I just don't think visitors should be putting them into sculptures where they don't belong, either endangering the art or changing the artist's intent.

AGREED!
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline Andrew Benson

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • www.andrew-benson.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 08:29:51 AM »
So did anyone else take any of them to photograph? I took a handful with me to Eastern Pennsylvania and took a series of shots. I've posted the first two here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104296258582816548190/albums/5749056150755383281

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
I haven't yet...but I plan on getting some today...starting to think of fun things to do with them

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
So did anyone else take any of them to photograph? I took a handful with me to Eastern Pennsylvania and took a series of shots. I've posted the first two here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104296258582816548190/albums/5749056150755383281

No, I didn't even think of taking them outside the event...
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline Andrew Benson

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • www.andrew-benson.com
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 07:06:31 AM »
I got word from the artist that the entire tank of army men were thrown out. That's all I know. It sounds pretty crappy, but maybe all's fair in art and war?

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »
We encountered a whole battalion (platoon?) of them in the elevator last night when we left. I scooped them up and left them in one of the lobby planters so no one stepped on them - hopefully I'll wake up enough to remember to repatriate them to the tank when I arrive. We saw lots of visitors walking around with them last night so I'm guessing the artist restocked.
neither mean nor louise

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »
It reminds me of a project that Alex the photographer has been conducting for decades.  I snapped a pic for him, and he says they aren't his..  Plus he's not in the DC area at the moment.

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 06:48:54 AM »
Unfortunately, there is little originality left in the world. We can only put our spin on things as history repeats itself.

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:55 PM »
Bowling Pin ...Bowling Pin ....Bowling Pin ... slam dunk