Author Topic: Storing framed artwork  (Read 2202 times)

Offline funkergirl

• Uber Poster
  • white wave
    • View Profile
    • jlvart.com
Storing framed artwork
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
How do you all store your framed artwork?  I have very limited space in my apartment.  I do have a small closet that, if I were to install some shelves into, could possibly be a good place for this.  I was also thinking of getting some of those under the bed storage boxes, or regular ones, and just stacking the framed artwork (after i wrap in bubble wrap or something).  do either of these seem like a good idea?  I like the storage container idea because at least i know, dust won't get in there!
cheers, darlin

Offline BarryS

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Storing framed artwork
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »
I've discovered that accumulating framed artwork is a big storage problem.  Is this your work?  I've been recycling frames, so after I show work--I de-frame and store.  Any storage you can add is a good idea.  Recently, I bought two wire-frame shelving units and they're holding art supplies--including a big stack of frames.  I still have a ways to go to get organized, but almost any option helps.  I also got a bunch of cheap stackable storage bins at Costco and they're great for storing just about anything.
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: Storing framed artwork
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
You're right Barry.  This is a universal problem!!  I run into it both at home, and in the gallery.  The best we can do in the gallery is store framed work with dividers.  At home I like the idea of storing work flat, then reframing on demand, but that increases handling.  I like the idea that individually framed work increases the protection around that work so you avoid surface scratches on photos with a glossy finish.  But that said, propper handling can prevent that too.  I think the best advise I can devise is a great system of shelves so that you don't have to stack to many framed works on top of each other.