Author Topic: How do you find art collectors?  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
How do you find art collectors?
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
I'm curious to read your thoughts about how you find art collectors.  Lately I've had several discussions with art dealers who have the city down.  That is, they know the area art collectors, they know who buy what type of art and for how much.  They have it figured out down to a science, which you would expect for any business, but I'm really curious about how they got there, and how you've found yours?  Any thoughts?

Offline TexelGirl

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • TexelGirl Art & Design
Re: How do you find art collectors?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »
This month's "Art Calendar" magazine has several articles on collectors.   http://www.artcalendar.com/home.asp  You can get the digital copy for $2.95 I think.  I finally broke down and subscribed though.  I haven't had a chance to read the articles thoroughly, but I skimmed the one titled "Turning People on to Art:  Cultivating Collectors by Educating Them."  It has some helpful tips I didn't think of, like including a folder of information with each piece of art you sell.  The folder should include a bio, artist statement, promo materials featuring your work, an article or flier on how to care for the art, a copy of your recent newsletter, and a copyright notice.  I'm looking forward to reading the article "Building and Cultivating Relationships with Collectors."  When I do, I'll try to remember to post any helpful tips it gives here. 

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »
Hey that sounds like a great article.  Art Calendar is an amazing resource.  I like the idea of a folder of information.  That's got to make the collector feel good.

Offline fitzmurray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50:44 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here, scanning threads, and stumbled onto this one.

Art collectors typically go to galleries, shows, fairs so, depending on your visibility, you may have difficulty making direct contact.  Contacting interior designers/decorators may be a something to consider.  If you are doing a mailing, include them on your list--or even just email them.  I've heard some artists hold small events specifically for interior designers.  I'm not an artist myself, but for a long time I've wanted to work with interior designers to help them locate quality, original art to use instead of what I often see.  I tell people that they can spend $700 on something not original from the Horchow catalog or they can make a little effort and own a real piece of art they will have a personal connection to.  Of course that's the slippery slope we want them on--once they own original, they'll want more.   :biggrin:

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
Well put.  Interior designer connections are amazing, and I'm sure that's where a large portion of the area's emerging to established art is sold!  I think the most important thing is to get out there one way or another, and make your self known with a face-to-face and internet presence.  Go to openings and get to know who's buying art.  You may see similar people at different galleries.

I completely agree about what you're telling people.  $700 can buy an amazing work of original art.     Cheers..

Offline shanteb

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:32 PM »
Like fitzmurray I am going thru the old lists and thought this was a good topic. I agree with fitzmurray and Jesse. I think you just have to keep putting your art out there and go to the exhibits and open your mouth. And if you have a couple of series of work I think that helps with the collectors/gallery/interior designers. I have a good art friend that does series and she had an exhibit at a coffeehouse and two interior designers contacted her for work she had in and one commissioned a bigger piece to something similar on the walls.

One collector from NYC found me due to the fact she was in a mailart group and we traded pieces. we've become art/friends and I found out what a huge collector she is and she has introduced other fellow collectors in her circle to my work and vice versa (I introduced hers to a few I knew too that I knew would love her style of drawing)

I wonder about the gallery owners knowing all the collectors. Recently, I talked to someone in my fitness group who not only does art but seems to be a major collector so much so that she rotates her art because she has so much art she can't put it on all the walls. I never saw her at any major exhibits or anything. Come to find out she sticks in one area & a few galleries in that town/city. If we weren't talking about a plein air class that was going on that weekend I wouldn't have known she did art let alone collected art like that.

Most of the collectors I have met recently are known are pretty quite about it and are not on lists and they collect in this area and out of this area. And then too you also have the novice collectors like me.

You got to get your art out be all the means you can and they will find you. Also open your mouth (which is hard for me I’m pretty shy) and just talk you never know who you are talking too. Could be a future collector of your work.

ReneeW

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
I think the biggest key is networking and staying in contact. I know artists that I like and galleries and dealers that I like have me friended on Facebook or Twitter and also have my email and send me updates. I also have a whole box full of business cards from artists and dealers although I don't use them as much. I really like the digital age with Facebook, RSS feeds, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogs and emails to keep in touch with artists and dealers.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »
Agreed!  Though I must say last weekend, I went to a large 3 day legit auction and bid on some works, and it was an amazing experience to for once, oh my I hope no one hears me say this, step out of the digital world with the ability almost feel some work from the 1800's....  For the first time, there's really something that suited me to be able to battle the auction!

Renee, Yes.  Network, network, network, network.  Artists must do as much as humanly possible to raise their skill to a high level, and let the world know who they are.