Linked Events

• artdc photography: March 14, 2009

Author Topic: New photo show in the New gallery space for artdc.  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
New photo show in the New gallery space for artdc.
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
As many of you know, we've started a new Gallery space in Hyattsville, MD.  We have great plans for the future, including the start of a group studio in the back.  Details about the space can be found here: http://artdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=11171.0

Previously we had a wonderful show of work from future studio members, and now we've come together to develop a show of artdc.org photographer's work that Developed from an artdc.org Call.  We have a great series of works by:

Alex Swain
Alison Duvall
Barry Schmetter
David Clow
Helen Glazer
Newton Moore
Rhett Rebold
Pamela H Viola
Teri Memolo

It's my pleasure to present these artist, and we look forward to showing more.  We only wish the space was bigger so we could include every artdc.org photographer.  More shows to come soon!  This isn't a one time thing to come!

I invite each artist in this show to post your artist statement and one image at least 800 pixels on the longest dimension!

The opening will be Saturday the 14th, 4 to 6pm preview with 6-8pm refreshments

5710 Baltimore Avenue
Hyattsville, MD 20781
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:12:33 PM by Jesse »

Offline BarryS

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New photo show in the New gallery space for artdc.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »

Barry Schmetter
Memory and Forgetting, The Reservoir
Pigment Ink Print
2 of 25
$225 framed and matted

I'm interested in human neurocognitive processes, and the idea that forgetting is an ongoing active function of the mind. Even as we absorb memories, our mind immediately begins discarding information that isn't deemed essential by the subconscious. The brain is adaptive and while certain memories are strengthened with each act of remembering--others are actively suppressed or weakened.  This series of photographs represents memories in the process of being pared away. The photographs are shot on film using 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras with antique lenses.

Edit: display resized to smaller image with correct aspect ratio
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:51:10 AM by BarryS »
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline lisakrose

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »
wow, it's a beautiful photo, and the text just makes it even better

Offline jwhitsitt

• Uber Poster
  • Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    • View Profile
    • Juxt Art
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:38:43 PM »
I think I've commented on this piece before, Barry, but if not: I really like both the concept and the execution.
Artomatic 2009 space: Floor 7, Area 12, Space 1 - Core wall just to the left of the elevator

Art Blog: http://jackwhitsitt.com/
Art and Security/Old Art Blog: http://sintixerr.wordpress.com/

Offline evmarinucci

• Patron
  • Established Poster
  • ALL SYSTEMS GO
    • View Profile
    • evmarinucci.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
Barry - that is a very powerful set of images.
ev marinucci

Offline BarryS

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:43:54 AM »
Lisa, Jack, and Ev--thanks for the kind words! 
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:38:15 AM by Jesse »

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
very nice barry!

i wish i could have participated... my work is all out right now, and this past weekend was too hectic for me to make the trek to hyattsville fo the hanging.  but maybe next time.  i look forward to seeing what came together with this one...

Offline Pamela H. Viola

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Pamela H. Viola Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »

Windblown
1 of 25
$600.

Artist Statement:

My current photographic technique has evolved from my work with Polaroid and other types of transfer printing. Depending on the mood I want to create, I make color, saturation, focus and textural choices, sometimes adding additional story elements in order to create a heightened sense of drama or a dreamlike quality. At times I will paint a specific texture, scan, and then layer the digital version on an image. I often use luminous light from a mysterious source to direct focus; but most of all, I experiment with various scenarios of color and focal point as I develop the work.

The embellished landscape is an ongoing theme in my body of work. While sometimes dark and moody in tonality, the overarching simplicity of my compositions implies a sense of peace and tranquility in the rural countryside.

I feel my most successful pieces are those that are intentionally unpopulated offering a degree of mystery that rouses a viewer to imagine themselves in the scene creating their own narrative and wanderings.

Offline Helenium

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Helen Glazer, Artist
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »

Artist’s Statement  •  Cloud Anatomy Series  • Helen Glazer
© 2009

My latest body of work has been influenced by ideas from chaos theory and complexity theory that look at natural phenomena as diverse as the shape of coastlines, the growth of tree limbs or the movement of fluids, and finds that while such systems proceed according to general rules, they are never entirely predictable owing to a myriad of subtle interactions.  I'm particularly interested in the characteristic movements found in all flowing media: for example, rhythmic waves, vortices, spiraling movements and meandering curves.  These currents of movement can be said to have surfaces and three-dimensional form, even if those forms are too fleeting to be closely observed before they change, for example the surface of moving water, or a spiraling curl of rising smoke.  Advances in science have heightened our awareness of constant change, that stability is an illusion, and that the reality we live in is being replaced moment by moment.  I've come to see the artistic process as analogous to the dynamical systems posited by chaos and complexity theories -- that is, an artwork takes shape within particular conditions of time, place, medium and the artist's own hand and sensibility, and unfolds as these forces interact.

In my Cloud Anatomy series, digital photographs of clouds have been edited in Adobe Photoshop to reveal the varied forms and textures created by the complex rhythms of flowing currents of air in the sky.  The editing process brings out the spatial dimensions of the form by increasing the tonal range and isolating the outer contours of the cloud mass.  While sometimes background details are deleted or smoothed out, and colors and tones may be intensified or deepened, the actual shapes, textures and forms found in nature are not augmented with invented forms, nor are they combined with other images, or revised by means of Photoshop's "painting" tools.  The resulting images reveal nuances that the camera captures, but the naked eye fails to see, and conventional image processing does not show.

The images emphasize the drama of clouds as fluid entities in the midst of transformation, and how the forces at work in their formation and dissolution clearly relate to earthly phenomena such as flowing water.   They also take on a gestural quality, reminiscent of organisms.

The resulting images are produced as archival pigment prints, but I have also taken the process a step further by realizing one of these images in three-dimensional form.  Working with a technician at a three-dimensional digital imaging firm, I rendered one of the cloud images as a 3D form.  This was output to high-density Styrofoam, from which a polyurethane mold was made.  The sculpture was then cast in a material called Forton MG, a polymer-modified gypsum compound strengthened with fiberglass strands, which dries to a stone-like finish, and finally, painted with oils.

This project relates to major trends in contemporary art related to science.  Some artists focus on environments that have traditionally been neglected or overlooked; others explore the life of materials and how they respond to physical processes.  Conceptual approaches such as chaos theory inspire artists to view the natural world as intricate systems and networks that reveal patterns beneath the apparent randomness.  All of these concepts inform my current work.
Helen Glazer, Artist
http://helenglazer.com

Offline subbonic

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shadowplanet.net
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »

I started borrowing my stepfather's camera at age 12. He guided me through apertures, f-stops, and an early appreciation of photography.  The love and hobby of photography has stayed with me throughout my life. In the past few years photography has emerged in importance as a method of creative expression in my life.  I continues to explore, create, and enjoy photography from Annapolis, MD.

Edit: changed display size
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:40:30 PM by Jesse »

Offline newtmore

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »

NEWTON MORE

I am primarily interested in black and white pinhole photography, partly because of it’s magical ability to produce an image without benefit of a glass or plastic lens, and partly due to the nature of black and white images…we interpret the world around us in color, so B&W images have a unique impact. 

Several years ago I began dabbling in color with alternative photographic techniques for creating more  “art-like” images. These include emulsion manipulation on Polaroid SX-70 film and Polaroid transfer methods. Scanning and the use of Computer programs such as Adobe Photoshop allow further subtle enhancement, sometimes with surprising results. Archival printing is now accessible, albeit challenging, and has replaced hours in the darkroom using toxic chemicals and a great deal of water.  Unfortunately, the environmental impact of the current technology still remains a concern.

I leave the debate over the ‘art-worthiness’ of photographs, and photography in general, and the concomitant reproducibility issues, to those so inclined.  For me, to be able to pursue any hint of creative expression, whatever it is labeled, overrides any such discussion.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »
Images from the space:

The show looks great!  Thanks Barry for the snap shots.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile

Offline jennifer

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • jennifer beinhacker - art outside the edge
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 02:38:04 PM »
wishing you all the best of luck with the opening.
the photography is fantastic and the gallery space is beautiful.
look forward to hearing how it went.
"break a flashbulb"...or whatever one says.....( a la  break a leg......get it).

jennifer
jennifer beinhacker
"art outside the edge"
http://jenniferbeinhacker.com/home.html

flickr.com : http://www.flickr.com/photos/30462932@N07/

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:37:03 PM »
Hahaha.  Thanks for the support!  I wish you could be there.
Seriously can you freaking believe we have a space like this!  SERIOUSLY! 
I'm shocked.  Even though I broke the pigging bank to get it rolling it still shocks the crap out of me when I'm there.
It's a real honor, and I'm pleased they are having us!

Offline evmarinucci

• Patron
  • Established Poster
  • ALL SYSTEMS GO
    • View Profile
    • evmarinucci.com
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 06:27:24 AM »
The space is really amazing.  That building is on the historic register.  The gallery is flooded with light during the day.
ev marinucci

Offline peted301

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
Here is Alison's info;

Alison Duvall graduated from Syracuse University in 1999 with a BFA in Photography and has lived in the Washington DC area ever since.  She currently teaches art at the Parkmont School and has taught at the National Cathedral School, River School and Corcoran School of Art and Design’s Camp Creativity. She is also a freelance photographer with her husband for their company, Anything Photographic.  Along with her husband, Pete, they teach workshops and classes for the Art League School, Washington Glass School, and Capital Hill Arts Workshop. Check out anythingphoto.net for more information.

still trying to post pics, and having issues.

Edit: added image
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:44:54 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 09:44:49 PM »
See everyone at the show!  Buy some art!  :mrgreen: