Author Topic: Works on paper / Signatures / Framing / Presentation.  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Works on paper / Signatures / Framing / Presentation.
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
What are your thoughts on works on paper?

As an artist, I feel it’s my personal responsibility to develop a clean and secure presentation of my work with in a reasonable budget.

Notice that? That’s a nice caveat there, “With in a reasonable budget.”

Number 1, most important, I feel we have to respect our art. I realize that many things I do have a life span. That is paper degrades, chemicals depending on the choice may oxidize, but you must respect your work and the people buying it. I feel there is a responsibility to present work in a professional manner.

For me this means framing in an acid free or pH neutral environment depending on the paper or chemical process. UV / Conservation glass, and a clean well cut frame that suits the work.

In the past I opted for a crisp gallery look with “photo white” mats and a black frame, but I’ve expanded. I now like to use a black mat with a black frame. I think it makes the work pop. There are still times, however where a clean white mat is just the answer needed.

As a photographer, mounting the work has been an interesting evolution. From the start I’ve always preferred to hinge my work. I want my work to stand free so that the owner can potentially do what they please with it. That said, I’ve learned, working as a framer, that there are times where cold press mounting or dry mounting is the option needed. There are some finicky papers out there that need some special attention. I think this should be the artist’s responsibility. Leaving it in the hands of the customer of the framer leaves opportunity for errors to happen.

Artists, if you are printing large on super glossy metallic paper, and your just selling the print, consider cold press mounting it! Otherwise it will ripple! It’s better that you should mount it, and inspect for mounting errors from dust, so that your collectors get a work that’s right! It’s easier for the artist to fix problems that arise, because they can always replace the work if there’s an error mounting it.

Direct mounting, cold press mounting, or dry mounting is not an option for paintings on paper. I used to hesitate on the idea with photographs, but there are times where it’s necessary. Which is one of the reasons I like to work small in the 8x12” photo size on water color paper. It doesn’t need dry mounting.

For hinging, I highly recommend starch paste for hinge mounting.
There’s an absolutely wonderful 2 page article with how too instructions here:
http://frametek.com/HTML/Articles/Hinging.html

There are also times where it’s important to understand the idea of pH neutral vs acid free.
Find a great discussion here:
http://www.danielsmith.com/content--id-120

This may seem like an esoteric difference, but it is significant. pH Neutral board may measure pH7 but could have buffers to reach that pH which can be exausted over time resulting in an acidic environment. Where as the acid free boards should have no acid content which results in the neutral pH. pH neutral does not mean it’s acid free.

The next issue is signatures. Sign your work! Before you do so, think about the presentation. If you are selling the print, painting, photo, or other work of paper with out a frame, do you envision your work with a blank space of paper surrounding your subject?  Most often the white space that kills the design? As a photographer, I sign the back in pencil, mat up to the image, and sign the mat.

If anyone buys my work and wants to re-frame it, I’ll sign the mat of their choice. We’ll have to figure out a meeting or shipping arrangements, but it can be done! As a framer, I see my customer’s frustrations being stuck to a mat they don’t like.

Back to the white space, if you want to force a collector to show white space, you will probably sign on the face outside of the work.  I don’t like this, and personally would love other artists, collectors, and conservators thoughts on this.  I prefer when artists sign inside the work. Photographers, sign the back, unless your signature is part of the work.

Artists, if your mats have the tell tale signs of a mat that contains acid, I’m probably not going to buy your work unless I absolutely love it and I’m willing to re-frame it. If you do cheap out on your mats, DON’T sign it and for your customer to have guilt about throwing it out!

Another pet peeve is art work in a cheap frame with a huge mark up in cost for your $15 Ikea frame. It shows me that you don’t value your art, and paying $150 for a $15 frame is frustrating! That said, this doesn’t mean that your frames have to be expensive! If you run your art business as a business, you can develop whole sale relationships to save your self a lot of cost. It does get expensive to frame 25 works for your solo show, but don’t cut corners. Yes there is a difference between knock off metal frames and Nielsen.  They are small details, but after moving from knock off frames in my early work to real Nielsen frames, I can see the difference in quality and cuts.

So what do I do?

• Keep the art's environment Acid Free
  • For photos sign the back in pencil, and the acid free mat
  • For paintings consider weather the signature is part of the art (sign in the art, or in the white space)
  • Decide the location of your signature on your work, and think about the resulting presentation.
  • Hinge the art work so it’s removable unless you have to direct mount due to the media.
  • Use name brand quality frames, it makes a difference.
  • Protect your work, use a minimum of conservation / UV glass
  • For paintings on paper use starch paste for your hinges
  • Consider hiring a professional framer if you are unsure about techniques or learning them
  • Consider the edges of your paper, if you like deckled edges, float your work to show off your great paper

This  can all be done on a budget especially if you are doing things in bulk.

Remember compressed air and anti-static rags are your friend!!

Have a question? Did I miss something? Have a suggestion? We’d love to hear about it.  Please reply here.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:07:14 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: Works on paper / Signatures / Framing / Presentation.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
    Other thoughts and considerations?

How about opinions on Glazing? This may be old news to an experienced few, but valuable information to others. I would love to put Optium Museum Acrylic on Everything I own, but often, I use Conservation glass, it’s affordable, it protects my work, and it looks great.

• Clear Glass
    Protects your art from dust, and will probably block about 45% of UV light

• Conservation Glass
    Protects your art from dust and limited moisture, and Exposure to UV light. (BLocks 99%UV from Tru Vue)
    That said regular light can still fade your art, but with the UV band blocked it helps a lot!

• Museum Glass
    All of the above, plus it’s antireflective!  Amazing clear glass not that fuzzy etched stuff from the past.
    But it’s pricey and difficult to clean.

• Regular Acrylic
    (Plexiglas is a brand of acrylic, so I often use it interchangeably in discussion).
    All glass in one sense or another is a threat to art to an extent. If you shatter the glass, it could damage your work. That said, I prefer the clarity of conservation glass to acrylic. Over the years, acrylic has improved. Acrylic is also significantly lighter than glass, which is an advantage on large works or shadow boxes.  Acrylic also is less likely to develop condensation on the inside of the glass.

Often Acrylic is also more expensive than glass. A huge downside of acrylic is the fact that it scratches easy. I’ve found scratches when transporting my personal art between shows, even with proper protection. Another issue with acrylic is that it develops a static charge which means visible dust on the inside of your work! There are many ways to deal with this, but it’s an added problem. There are times that this static charge can be a nightmare.

• Conservation Acrylic
    The same as regular acrylic but offer’s UV protection.

• Optium Museum Acrylic
    One of the most amazing options out there. Anti-reflective, anti-static, and scratch resistant.  It will scratch if you want to scratch it, but it’s much harder than other options. That said it’s often out of the budget of artists, and many collectors.

What do you use?

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
So I spent a lot of money getting non-glare acrylic for my thesis show and in the end I had to go back to glass. No matter what I did I couldn't kill the static electricity it was conducting and with my subject (hair) it was making the embroidery inside the frame dance. Literally. Now in some cases that would be cool, but not what I wanted.

Any tips? I really did want to protect it better, but didn't have enough time to troubleshoot it before the show went up.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »
I know that cost can add up. There are several options I see. Up front, buy Optium Acrylic by Tru Vue. (TruVue Send my a finder’s fee!) It really does kill the static problem. It’s amazing. But you do pay for what you get.

So the other options are temporary. One, when you peal the protective film, roll it, don’t rip it off.  That is take a cardboard tube say from a poster, wrap the edge and roll it along the piece. Second, clean it with an anti static plastic polish like Novus.  www.novuspolish.com The stuff is damn amazing. Get the #1. The other polishes are abrasive. (waiver, test it, I’ve never used it on AR plexi). I had given up on plexi until I found Novus. I actually would throw out a sheet from each piece between shows due to dust and scratches. I also use an antistaticum to wipe down plexi before use (after the polish).

www.adorama.com/ILASC.html

Then there’s the zerostat, friends of mine swear by them, but I haven’t yet tried. I love the concept. Shoot your plexi with electrons and protons to neutralize the static charge!

www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun

These ideas are all temporary and the only real permanent solution is Optium Acrylic, or glass. They do make laminated glass which isn’t as much of a threat to the art, but for the clarity you’ll want, Optium Acrylic is more affordable.

www.tru-vue.com/Framers/products/optium-museum-acrylic

If you are working with larger shadow boxes and relegated to glass due to the cost, they do make thicker glass if you’re worried about it breaking.

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
Thanks Jesse.  I knew about novuspolish, but I thought it was just for cleaning.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
You’re welcome! Yeah Novus does a great job with static, though, given a bit of time, the acrylic can develop a new charge, so it’s not a permanent solution. But it does help a lot while framing to prevent attraction to dust.

What about, just for fun, if you tried grounding your acrylic after you treat it with an anti static cleaner? There are a number of companies that produce Anti Static Mat Grounding Cords?  For the right look it could be a very interesting addition to a sculpture..  I could imagine questions like, what’s that cord for…  :)

Offline antoinette

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Some of my pics
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »
I've been working on paper for many many years now-rag is a beautiful thing.
It is the artist responsibility to be aware of materials on the paper and being sure their process maintains the archival integrity of their intention is to sell the work.
I dis learn from a museum curator -when using pigments, pastels and material of this nature - when framing you must not only float the work but you must use glass. Acrylic and such will create static over time and pull the material to the glass.
I love paper but it's more expensive in the end to frame then to stretch. When selling large pieces - its nice to let the buyer know how to maintain the care via a proper frame and warn them of the expense.
Just some thoughts

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »
Thanks for your insight! Paper is a beautiful thing! And you’re right it can be a shock sometimes to folks when frame costs can meet or exceed the cost of the art. It is a fair thing to alert collectors up front if they are new to works on paper. 

At static, yeah, that’s where glass or Optium acrylic helps. Hey in the end Optium is more affordable than museum quality laminated glass!  :mrgreen:

Offline janelle711

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »
My personal preference is to sign on the paper, outside of the image. I also usually like to leave white space between the image and the inside edge of the mat, with signature visible. When space is an issue, I'll mat right to the edge of the image and sign the mat.

I've never tried starch paste hinging before - thank you for linking that article. I'm curious to give it a try. I've usually just used linen hinging tape, which accommodates my clumsiness fairly well.  :biggrin:

As for materials, I do always try to buy acid free mat board and foam core. Anything that will be in physical contact with the paper I try not to skimp on. As for the glass, I buy conservation glass as often as I can. But when I need to skimp on something, I'll go with regular glass, and occasionally plexi.

The frames themselves are probably the biggest challenge for me, because I haven't quite figured out how to make them myself yet, and buying commercially is often cost-prohibitive. Lately I've started buying used frames from estate sales and thrift shops for a couple of dollars each that I'm going to try to clean up and reuse.

All of that said -- I totally agree with Jesse's comment above that doing things in bulk can be done on a budget. I find I end up spending more money (and more frustration) when I frame things as one-offs, compared to when I have done large batches of multiple items. Now ... if I can just take my own advice and pre-frame some work, so that I don't end up scrambling at the last minute every single time.  :mrgreen: