Author Topic: Promo materials - cards and such  (Read 3863 times)

Offline sagworks

• Established Poster
  • My art is what happens when you run with scissors.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sagworks.com
Promo materials - cards and such
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
So this is a reminder to everyone to order their cards for their displays!

How many cards are people going to order?
I have 3 new postcard designs in the hopper for AOM!

Offline Cygnus-M

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Promo materials - cards and such
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »
In AOM 2009 I ordered 500 cards and most of them disappeared by the end of the event ... so I'm going with 500 printed business cards.
:: Website ::

Offline Tracy Lee

• Uber Poster
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
suggestions on printers for business cards and postcards?

Think I've always used Vistaprint for Artomatic promo materials. Usually order 1,000 - depending on how cool the card is seems to affect how many get taken. The year with the robots - well, I have 2 of those left and only because I kept them for myself.

I'd rather have too many than not enough - don't need to be rushing around ordering in the middle of Artomatic and having downtime with no materials in the space.

Offline Arty4ever

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »
If you can get me a printer-ready file by Monday I can get you an excellent deal on business cards.
(less then Vistaprint)  

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:28:04 PM by Arty4ever »
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline Susan L

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
I ran out of 500 business cards early on, last time (2009); had to keep making and bringing in more cards, postcards, etc. as time went on. Was almost completely cleaned out by the end of the show. It's a good idea to check on things every week or two--- if you have your volunteer shifts scheduled a couple of weeks apart, bring some extra cards with you in case you find you've run out.

Remember: over 70,000 visitors in 2009! This time I've got 1500 cards on order. If they aren't all gone by June 24th, I can use them elsewhere, 'cause I kept them generic--- Name, website address, email address, one featured artwork. And for what it's worth, I use Overnight Prints. They've always done a good job, used better paper stock than their competitors, and prices are great, especially when they're having a sale.

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:10:20 AM »
I ordered 1,000 tri-fold color brochures and I current have about 250 business cards.  Do I need more business cards?  Do people tend to grab brochures or business cards?
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline judystephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:52:33 AM »
Moo is also a great resource. They use high quality paper and inks, and you can get an order with multiple images or designs for no extra cost. You can also get a free sample pack (shipping too!)

http://us.moo.com/

Offline hrussel2

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
What sort of promotional material does everyone normally have in their space?  Business cards obviously... but do people have postcards, flyers, etc as well?  I don't have any upcoming shows to promote, just would like to have something everyone can pick up so they have info for my website after leaving.  Business cards will suffice, right?

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
In years past, business cards, lots.  Plus they are good after artomatic for general promotion.

I saw someone posted overnight prints above.  They are good.  I've used them ...  Had good quality cards, however they weren't overnight in their speed.  You might want to pick some rush fees.

I've also had excellent results from psprint.com  ..  I've used them more frequently.

Offline Tracy Lee

• Uber Poster
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
250 business cards won't cut it.

And careful about the Moo cards - I did them the first year and took advantage of being able to have different photos on each one - printed probably 20 different designs in the pack. And they were gone in two days. Didn't figure that people might want to "collect them all" That was a lot of $$ to disappear so quickly.

1,000 business cards and 1,000 postcards is what I'm looking at this year. Postcards aren't to promote anything really, no upcoming shows - just front will be full-bleed photo of an art piece that will be hanging at Artomatic, and the back will have name, artomatic info (times, dates open - come see me at artomatic!), location in the building, and email/url

And I still haven't started this process yet, and I should probably get on that. You know. When I have all that free time. *yawn*

Offline hrussel2

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 12:20:22 PM »
Gotcha... so you'll be mailing the postcards to promote Artomatic and then you'll have business cards actually AT your space.  Makes total sense!  Thank you!

Offline Tracy Lee

• Uber Poster
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »
Actually I won't be mailing the postcard, I'll have them in the space cause they are cool for someone to take - a small picture of the art plus a way for them to contact me.

If I WAS going to be trying to promote myself then I'd use some of the cards to mail letting people know where to find me in Artomatic, but still keep some in your space - they are a much better visual reminder for the person later than a text-only business card might be. If they had a tiny bit of art sitting on their desk they can't help but connect your name to it :)

Says she who has 5 different artist postcards from G40 and Artomatic decorated the wall around her desk right now :)

Offline Russ!

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Surreal Art of Russ McIntosh
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »
Is there a PDF of the official Artomatic postcard? I haven't gotten mine yet, but would like to integrate the design into my own card I am printing.
Surreal Art That Entices The Mind
http://www.RussMcIntosh.com

Offline Tracy Lee

• Uber Poster
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »
Is there a PDF of the official Artomatic postcard? I haven't gotten mine yet, but would like to integrate the design into my own card I am printing.

As soon as I get to it I"ll be posting the Artomatic logo in hi res online so people can download it and use it for just this sort of thing.

Its on my list. But so is lunch. :)

Offline Tracy Lee

• Uber Poster
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
The zip file containing the hi-res print quality Artomatic logo (3 versions: jpg, psd, and vector psd) and the Branding Guide can now be downloaded from the Artomatic website

http://www.artomatic.org/participate/artists

let me know if you have any problems accessing it

Offline Russ!

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »
Thanks Tracey, that helps, but I was looking for the actual postcard layout.

Offline Terry

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terry Sitz
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »
Anyone have a local inexpensive source for postcards? I am a little overwhelmed by the shipping charges online...and would like to be more hands on with the design...

Offline Arty4ever

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »
In addition to business cards, I can also provide an excellent deal on post cards...  but I would need to have your printer-ready design ready to go and sent to me by tomorrow (Monday, April 30th).  

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:28:57 PM by Arty4ever »
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline Russ!

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
I'm interested to see what everyone's promo materials look like!

I just finished creating my Artomatic cards. I included some quick notes about me and a map of how to locate my artwork. I also tried keeping with some of the graphics on the official Artomatic cards, for consistency sake. I should be getting proofs in a little bit and a batch printed up later this afternoon!

FRONT

BACK

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Very Pretty but I'm curious doesnt this infringe on a few copyrights?
If I didn't know any better, I would think you and your work/booth was endorsed/sponsored by Heine, City Paper and the DC commission for the arts.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer. Interesting though. Very colorful.