Author Topic: Canvas Prints in Art Shows and Gallery Openings?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Canvas Prints in Art Shows and Gallery Openings?
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:48 PM »
Is it ok to do that? Since most of my work consists largely of digital work (because that's what I do) I was wondering if most places or galleries allow you to enter those sort of things. Or even how people feel about them in general. I put this here because I have no clue where else I would ask such a broad question, sorry if it's in the wrong spot!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:30:37 PM by Riddle »
Is that mustard on my hand or cadmium yellow?
ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT.

Offline Russ!

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Surreal Art of Russ McIntosh
Re: Canvas Prints in Art Shows and Gallery Openings?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
Actually a lot of places LOVE the canvas prints. TAG Galleries in Fells Point, MD produce mine and I get nothing but praises from them.
Surreal Art That Entices The Mind
http://www.RussMcIntosh.com

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:42:33 PM »
Really? So if I had an opening with nothing but my prints the Art Community wouldn't openly shun me?? :D

Offline Russ!

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Surreal Art of Russ McIntosh
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
As long as they are the museum quality canvas wraps. Make sure the sides are blank (I prefer black edge) and there are no visible staples showing. I usually like to mix it up and have some framed giclee's as well as canvas prints if you're doing an entire show. Right now if you go to the Arlington Arts gallery on Lee Hwy, you can see my canvas pieces on display there.
Surreal Art That Entices The Mind
http://www.RussMcIntosh.com

Offline EdHahn

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Photos...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
For purely digital art, they are quite well received if done to the same standards as a painting (gallery wrapped or framed, over a stretcher).

ed

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »
As long as they are the museum quality canvas wraps. Make sure the sides are blank (I prefer black edge) and there are no visible staples showing. I usually like to mix it up and have some framed giclee's as well as canvas prints if you're doing an entire show. Right now if you go to the Arlington Arts gallery on Lee Hwy, you can see my canvas pieces on display there.

I don't really like black sides...I think (my) prints look better wrapped all the way around. Surely they don't HAVE to  have black sides? I hope one day I can do an entire show. All of my girlish dreams would come true.

For purely digital art, they are quite well received if done to the same standards as a painting (gallery wrapped or framed, over a stretcher).

ed

Yeah, I'm getting gallery wrapped! I'll post pics when I get them!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
I've happily hung canvas digital prints in the artdc Gallery.  I just ask everyone to present professionally. 

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »
Personally, I have the opposite view. I think they look cheesy and tacky. I would never think of buying one. I associate it with IKEA, CVS and cheap, disposable art.
It just doesn't say fine art to me if someone can get their pet pictures done the same way.

http://www.cvsphoto.com/shop-landing?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=PhotoPS_NonBrand_iCrossing&OVMTC=Exact&creative=8775558516&OVKEY=canvas%2520prints&url_id=119122356&adpos=1s8&ic_pl_id=119122356&ic_lp_id=19439186&cdid=4938

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
I've happily hung canvas digital prints in the artdc Gallery.  I just ask everyone to present professionally. 

Thank you Jesse! This makes me feel better!

Personally, I have the opposite view. I think they look cheesy and tacky. I would never think of buying one. I associate it with IKEA, CVS and cheap, disposable art.
It just doesn't say fine art to me if someone can get their pet pictures done the same way.

http://www.cvsphoto.com/shop-landing?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=PhotoPS_NonBrand_iCrossing&OVMTC=Exact&creative=8775558516&OVKEY=canvas%2520prints&url_id=119122356&adpos=1s8&ic_pl_id=119122356&ic_lp_id=19439186&cdid=4938

...while this makes me cower in fear. I thought that this is how the vast majority of people felt. But if I'm a digital artist, what other choice do I have?

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
I think it depends on the content.  If it was a digital print of a painting, I would have a problem, or if it is a canvas print of a unique image created in digital format, I have no problem with it.

We showed Audrey Bernstein's work at the gallery on canvas, if I remember correctly, they are mixed media works, printed digital on canvas, and then painted on top, and they looked tremendous in the space and in context with the show.

http://artdc.com/2010/04/05/big-graysons-view/

See img_2074 on the moveable walls.  I like the fact that with out the frame, the images stand on their own.   

I like to see photographs on paper, because that is what I'm used too, but depending on the subject and content, I see nothing wrong with printing on canvas as long as we're not looking like reproductions.

Then again, this starts to sound like the historical argument of weather or not photography is art, which shouldn't be a question at this point.

My question for you would be why canvas?  Are you trying to create painterly images?  Do you like the textured surface of the cloth?  If you're looking for alternative views, you could always print on heavy water color paper, and use magnets to attach your images to the wall if you are going for a with out frames look.

You can find great magnets here:
www.amazingmagnets.com

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
Jesse, those look beautiful! And they came out nicely too.

I chose canvas because I'm doing a set of images specifically for canvas. (also, I just like canvases in general). Something about the sharp cleanliness of a shape on the bumpy texture of a canvas makes my eyes happy. I have no better way to explain this haha...the content would (of course) be my own original work and I agree with you 200% about photos being on paper. Just feels right, y'know?

Printing on heavy water color paper sounds interesting as well, I'll have to try that out!

Also is there a how-to guide for going about having a solo show? I goggled around and found this: http://princess-of-shadows.deviantart.com/journal/how-to-get-a-solo-exhibition-of-your-own-Art-214228151 but if there's one on here somewhere I'd wanna check it out.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »
Thanks.  I really like what she did.  The mixed media nature was nice to add a bit of extra dimension.  There is something clean about a gallery wrapped canvas that I like in a contemporary art setting. 

Interesting question about a guide to solo shows.  Do you have a space lined up?  Are you looking for marketing advice or developing the show?  I've always flown by the seat of my pants so to speak, but for me, the number one important issue is to develop a well planned theme.  My work moves in many directions, and I find it quite necessary to trim down my work to one direction.   Finding representation is another discussion all together. 

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:15 PM »
It's a funny contrast because when I think of digital photos, I'd rather see an archival print and a frame, but I think the canvas can work nicely for digital art, esp. if you're thinking about the texture of the canvas when developing your work.  Personally, I prefer white edges.  I think it helps the work blend into the wall.  I always feel like I'm missing part of the image when it wraps around the stretcher.

Solo shows are tough to come by.  I think Artomatic is a great launching pad though.  I always approach it like my own mini solo show surrounded by a lot of other solo shows.  It will give you a chance to edit your work and play with the display. 

Post some of your images after you get them printed!

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:35 PM »
Do you have a space lined up?  Are you looking for marketing advice or developing the show?  I've always flown by the seat of my pants so to speak, but for me, the number one important issue is to develop a well planned theme.  My work moves in many directions, and I find it quite necessary to trim down my work to one direction.   Finding representation is another discussion all together. 

This sin't for me, I doubt I've done enough work I'm pleased with to have a show of any kind lol. I was asking for a friend who I'm trying to coax onto this forum actually. But she seems to want to do things on her own so whatevs!

Solo shows are tough to come by.  I think Artomatic is a great launching pad though.  I always approach it like my own mini solo show surrounded by a lot of other solo shows.  It will give you a chance to edit your work and play with the display. 

Post some of your images after you get them printed!

That. Is an awesome idea! I'll urge her to participate in AoM!

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »

[/quote]

...while this makes me cower in fear. I thought that this is how the vast majority of people felt. But if I'm a digital artist, what other choice do I have?
[/quote]

You are obviously getting a skewed opinion posting on an "art" board but I took an informal poll of colleagues (non artists) and friends (also non-artists) and they all agreed with my feeling of very CVS and Walmarty looking. Not something they would spend more than $12.95 on except if it was a graduation photo or some family photo. Not what you want to hear...I'm sure. Most were of the opinion that digital art should be on paper and matted/framed. Most added that photographers should leave the wrap around canvas to Costco and stick with a more professional look.

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »

You are obviously getting a skewed opinion posting on an "art" board but I took an informal poll of colleagues (non artists) and friends (also non-artists) and they all agreed with my feeling of very CVS and Walmarty looking. Not something they would spend more than $12.95 on except if it was a graduation photo or some family photo. Not what you want to hear...I'm sure. Most were of the opinion that digital art should be on paper and matted/framed. Most added that photographers should leave the wrap around canvas to Costco and stick with a more professional look.

Yeah...not really sure when the photography thing got started since I'm not a photographer, but thanks for the advice anyway!

My friends who're also artists (of the digital variety) don't think there's anything wrong with canvas prints and we were all equally scandalized at the thought of buying one from CVS/Wal mart/Costco. And we were all surprised that you could find ANY for $12.95 the one I got was $130! (and sometimes there's Living Social deals and stuff for a lot cheaper).

I like certain things mounted and framed but I think I'll still go forward with printing these specific images on canvas like I want. I just wanted to get a feel about what people thought.

Thanks for the advice though! :)

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »
CVS Canvas Gallery Wraps starting at $12.99

http://www.cvsphoto.com/shop-landing/Wall-D%C3%A9cor

Offline Riddle

• Established Poster
  • Fuckin' whimsy.
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
Ewwwww...I don't think I could buy from CVS. : (

EDIT: Ever.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »
I still posit that there is a time and place for everything.  I enjoyed the works that Audrey did that started with digital canvas prints, and to me, they do not say CVS.  It's what the artist does with them. 

Maybe it dates me a bit, and while I haven't yet done this, I've always enjoyed artists who do box mounted prints.  Dodge Chrome still does this.
http://www.dodgechrome.com/downloads/DC-Price_Sheet.pdf

Then again, you could just mount photos to gator, and use spacers in the back.. 

Where printing and mounting like this get's interesting is the idea of stepping away from the frame, which is of course is funny coming from a guy who's now making his living off of frames... 

But........... with a world full of archival inks, maybe that separation from the wall and forcing an image to live behind glass isn't important.

I've quite enjoyed work from one artist on paper that was floated above a smaller sheet of foam core sans frame.  The paper may age and get dirty over time, but a cloth substrate like canvas or a laminated / box mounted photo will last longer..

Offline funkergirl

• Uber Poster
  • white wave
    • View Profile
    • jlvart.com
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »
I don't have anything against canvas.  I prefer standard white mats with black frames since i do a lot of photography. Although, lately, I have really liked the look of lighter colored frames (like white wood).  I might try something like that.

I have seen some good work on canvas though too. I think it all depends.  Sometimes the canvas can soften the image and maybe not make it look as sharp?

I also like the look of box mounting or standouts, and floating boards (whatever that is called).  Like they had a FotoWeek.  I thought it looked great. 
cheers, darlin