Author Topic: printed portfolio still relevant / important?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline theartmonkey

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
printed portfolio still relevant / important?
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »
Wondering the group's thoughts on the necessity of a printed portfolio. It's always good to have copies of nice printed pieces you've done for an interview or meeting, but if you have a nice website that allows you to download PDFs, view live websites, etc., is it necessary or expected to also have a nice, formal printed portfolio as well?

I've always thought yes, but times are changing, so am wondering if I am just terribly out of date.

Perhaps the printed portfolio should only showcase print pieces, and leave the digital to the website? It seems so counter-intuitive to print out a high quality print of a website screenshot for inclusion in the formal portfolio.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: printed portfolio still relevant / important?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »
I think it's important.  Yet another marketing resource.  There are situations where electronic media can't completely convey essence of the art where a printed version can do better.  I think they often convey a very professional appearance.

Offline Arty4ever

• Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
It depends on what type of artist you are and who you are presenting your work to. If you are a print designer a traditional portfolio is still important to have. But, if you are a web designer or animator then I think a laptop would be a better way to show off your work.     
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:27:06 PM »
what michael said. i know plenty of commercial photogs that still have to have a really nice looking printed portfolio. you still need an online presence and a nicely designed site to help drive traffic to you, but when they meet with you they want to see as closely as possible what the finished products will look like (be it paper stock or size or texture or whatever makes your work special), so whatever your concentration, you have to cater toward that with your presentation.

Offline kentdouglasgay

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
It's not either/or. It's both. The advantage of a printed portfolio is how it can be shared in an office. It doesn't disappear when you turn off the computer or open a new window. And it doesn't require you to be there, or for anyone to print anything out. And you control the color quality & you can bind it into a complete, stand-alone professional presentation. If you leave it up to them to print out & it gets passed around, do you know what it will look like?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:18:02 AM by kentdouglasgay »

Offline Hudson James

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
It all depends on your work. For me, a photographer, I've gone digital with my portfolio. Sure I have some prints printed out at the studio that can be used but most of my contacts today come from my ipod touch.

How many times have you been out and met someone who said ..so you are a photographer (painter, print maker ...you can fill in the blank). WHen you hear those words...you know whats coming next and you know what you have to say..dont you?

They ask ..let me see some of your work (as if you carry your look book or portfolio around with you). You smile and shake your head ..no ..my book is back at my place or here is my card ..check out my site sometime...the pretend to understand and some might follow up ...but most dont.

Instead with an iphone/touch you pull it out ..touch the screen and say ..sure here you go ...more pics than you can sift through ..knock yourself out. Their interest is peaked ..then you hit them with a card and say ..if you want to see full size pics ..go to my site or come over to the studio....blah blah. You need the instant gratification to get them hooked.

It has worked for me and led to some sales that would not have happened if I failed to produce work on the spot.

If you care about your work, your sucess and your future; you need to carry your work on you at all times ..no and's or's but's about it.

Offline drewmarley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
It is always important to secure portfolio as this is where they base your knowledge and expertise.
http://www.digitekprinting.com/ - a printing company.

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
If your work is printed, then I think it is still very relevant. When people do studio visits, they want to look at a print, not a screen and prints are never going to look the same as the images on the screen. I will say after having gone to the CAA (College Art Association) conference in NY last month, I will definitely be investing in a tablet before next years conference so  I can show my work digitally. Laptop is too heavy to lug around and my phone is just too small.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:08:31 PM »
Well said. I just saw an amazing portfolio leather bound, and it had quite an impact.