Author Topic: woodshop open to public? classes?  (Read 2134 times)

aalpm

woodshop open to public? classes?
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:27:08 PM »
Hi all,

I've recently gotten into designing furniture and wood art, but have few resources to make any of the plans into reality. I've looked around for classes or open shops with supervision and guidance, but haven't found any where that has table saws, sanders, etc. Is anyone here aware of a place like this in the area? All responses will be much appreciated!

Thanks--
Alison

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Alexandria Campus.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »
In old town alexandria there is a campus of virginia tech, which contains the architecture grad program.  They have both wood and metal shops for furniture.  Its not public perse.  But, I would talk to them first.  I knew several grad students that did increadible bent ply-wood work there.

Let us know what you find.  Their web page can be found here:

http://www.waac.vt.edu/

I have heard that the Covenant House - Washington  
Has the Artisans Woodshop
1235 Kenilworth Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20020

Their web page can be found (here)

also,

There is a Wood Worker's Directory, that can be found (Here). Maybe there are internships, or apprenticeships available?

aalpm

intriguing...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 10:17:53 AM »
Great - thanks for this info. It seems to be a good jumping-off point, and i'll let you know what kind of results and additional info I get. i'd be curious to hear more about the bent plywood pieces, though this may not be the forum for it... if you do post details somewhere, please let me know... thanks again!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
I see a relation.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 10:36:41 AM »
Post info here if you like.  Wood working is an art, and do see architecture as an art!  And bent ply wood too.  Furniture for that mater.  Good luck in your search.

aalpm

i mean...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 01:54:07 PM »
sorry, i misspoke.. i meant to say that this may not be the right topic in the artdc forum to discus bent plywood art... but i do definitely agree that it is an art... maybe this could lead to a discussion -- what is the relationship between the artist, the artisan, and the craftsman and woman? ... anyway, i'm about to look into those resources, and will post what info i gather. thanks again!