Author Topic: new painting  (Read 1708 times)

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
new painting
« on: October 11, 2005, 07:36:07 AM »
hey guys, i just spent the last couple weeks working on this piece.  let me know what you think....

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Now that.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 08:40:36 AM »
Now that is interesting.  The cyborg meets the cinema!  I can't wait to hear the story behind this one!   :mrgreen:

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelakleis.com
new painting
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 10:05:17 AM »
It reminds me of the Sycophant from Artomatic!  :)

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
new painting
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 01:09:09 PM »
i love your color choice here (in addition to what's already been said).  all of it together definitely makes me have a strong feeling about what *i* think it means... and how you meant it to come across... but still would be cool to hear what you have to say about it!

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
new painting
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 02:25:13 PM »
well i would love to hear what you guys think is going on here, but here is what it represents...

this has to do with a special girl who taught me to share my feelings.  it all started when we were filming this pilot for a tv show (hense the camera) up in massachusetts and me and this girl started talking and eventually we got closer and closer.  but see, she had this boyfriend and obviously wasn't going to just pack up and move to MD.  so i didn't say anything cause i knew nothing was gonna happen.  but using her powers of manipulation she eventually got me to come out and say what i was feeling and in the end it was way better.  DRAMA!!  i hate it!  so anyway, the man is supposed to be me i guess, a cold and lifeless machine, and the girl is feeding my head with ideas (the filmstrip) and manipulating me to come out and show (through the lens) what she wants to see (my feelings/the way i portray her).

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
new painting
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 02:28:51 PM »
Damn.  That's cool!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
I do see the feeding.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 02:38:02 PM »
Yes.  I see what you are saying.  Many people have been in that situation, so I think your imagery gets across..  I was thinking her expression was a mix between ecstasy & pleasure.   I do see an x-files like look of emotional feeding.  It's always to see interesting art when men are portrayed as victims.  It's interesting to read into the strip club phenomena where some believe the John's are victims too when their cash is removed with a false hope of acceptance from beauty and sexuality.  

:oops:

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
new painting
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 09:28:28 AM »
damn strip clubs!!

Offline mattach

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.canyoupicturethat.com
new painting
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 02:50:27 PM »
I have less to say now that I read the explanation, but I will say that I love this piece of work and the feelings it brings up inside me. The combination and somewhat eery melting of man and machine and then the interaction between the two figures is, well, I'm not sure how to say it, but I like it and think its very well done. Perhaps the deepter things I want to say about it are just not coming out in words, which I hope is taken as a compliment.
Matt
-------------------------------------
www.canyoupicturethat.com

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
new painting
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
well i'll tell you what i thought about it when i first saw it:

reminds me of how saturated we are by the media, how it's almost impossible to see things as humans, and so instead we see them like the movies and ads that we're bombarded with.  the fascination with the girl seemed genuine and caring, but that nothing could ever come of it because she's not being perceived the way she really is, but through these lenses, machinery and lights.  and the color was the thing that made me have a rather uneasy feeling about it.  the greenish yellow is sickly looking, like nothing good can come of this situation.  it would be different if it were vibrant and full of life, but this isn't, even though the color is very bright and saturated... almost neon.

and of course, she looks like she's controlling the switch on the projector.  but it doesn't immediately fit with her expression.  she seems to be all at once controlling and oblivious to what's going on.  fascinating.

how's that?

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
new painting
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 04:17:01 PM »
It's curious that his eyes are "looking" at her eyes, but hers are closed, like she's only basking in the flood of light (attention) coming from the projector.  His touching her ear is kinda like grabbing her attention, trying to make her hear him, but he's not saying anything, just watching.  And, the colors are a good choice.  Kinda like dusk, when the light is much darker, and it's the most dangerous time for prey, as they are busy scurring away to the protection of their nests, while the predators are just coming out.  The light's just dark enough to mask the predator as he sneaks up on the prey and kills it.  

:twisted:

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
new painting
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 07:48:02 AM »
wow, i really like your interpretations everyone.  thanks for posting them.  

Matt, i will defintiely take what you said as a compliment, thanks!  

Halo, fantastic interpretation.  that is why i love art so much (and to hear other peoples interpretations), because it can mean so much to one person, but mean something completely different to another.  art truly is what you make it.  

angela, i find your prey analogy interesting.  its not something that i was directly thinking, but it totally fits.  well, figuratively.  i'm a nice guy i swear!

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
Re: new painting
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 04:32:56 PM »
i LOVE the painting. nice work.