Author Topic: Censored.  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Censored.
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:53:30 PM »
After 12 hrs at the gallery, our show "Censored," is installed and ready to roll.  3-4 hrs of artist pick up from the previous show, a pause for lunch, and then several hours of organizing, then dinner, then more time hanging!  This show makes strong comments at the limitation of art in our area. Details coming soon...

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
Re: Censored.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »
Jesse,
you guys do a great job organizing these big multi-venue events. The process you've set up appears to be pretty smooth for the participants. Since my work is not really erotic, I'm sitting this one out but look forward to seeing the show. What was comming in as I picked up my and Lori's pieces from the last show looked interesting, with some interesting twists on "erotic."

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:39:48 AM »
Yeah, we were pleased with the variety of work that came in.  We have a pretty unique mix of things with the 2 styles of shows, uncensored vs censored.  We heard a little strife over the title of our show, but that's because a few people are too judgmental and quick to react.  It's not that we support censorship, it's that we're making a comment about it, and how silly it can be.  One artist refused to use our post-it notes, but I still liked the work, so we hung it anyway, but it won't get street exposure due to our space limitations. 

I only wish artists were as passionate about their framing as their fear of censorship and curators! We do need to get our presentation workshop off the ground ASAP!   They way an artist choses to present their work can mean so much!

The process did work nicely, though we need to find a way to grow in a manner that will allow us to conduct these shows in less time.  It's a lot of effort to take a 12 hr day to involve art pick up, drop off for two shows.  Space clean up, and organization and hanging of the show.  Maybe separate shifts would be a great idea!

We hope to do more projections during this exhibition, I hope people pick up on that topic!

Offline Tracy Lee

• Uber Poster
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »
Curious. Is the work art that has actually been censored?  or is it nudes? Any political pieces? "Censored" is a hot word that pushes some buttons so just wondering if it's a show about work that doesn't usually get much gallery space in DC (ie: nudes, erotica) or a reaction to work or artists that have been censored.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »
It is a hot word!  Yes.  The work has been censored by the curator.  It actually has post-it notes covering genitals.  Most of the images are studio figure studies.  We're poking at the lack of erotic art shows in the area.  It would have been great to do research and find work that was actually censored in the media or from other shows.  We'd love to revisit this theme in the future.

Offline Figure Artist

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Figure Artist
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »
Can a visitor remove all the post-its for a piece, step back an view it as the artist intended?

It is a hot word!  Yes.  The work has been censored by the curator.  It actually has post-it notes covering genitals.  Most of the images are studio figure studies.  We're poking at the lack of erotic art shows in the area.  It would have been great to do research and find work that was actually censored in the media or from other shows.  We'd love to revisit this theme in the future.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »
The show it self was intended to be viewed as censored.  We were displaying the work, the way we wanted to show it, and the majority of the artists were excited about it.  It wasn't just another nude photo show, it made a statement.  The statement makes a comment on many levels.  And yes, many post-it notes were peeled back to see what was below.  It made it an interactive event.  The best moment was when one member of the crowd removed the notes to have a friend take a snap shot of the guy next to this amazing photo, when he turned around, the model was standing there saying guess what?  That's me.  The guy jumped out of his skin.  It was a great moment.  Lots of positive complements about the work, and the witty approach to a very serious subject.  What's also interesting was to see which post-it notes had the  larger creases from a great number peel backs.  By my estimates, there were more lower post-its peeled back than tops. 

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 10:52:21 AM »
For those who have seen the show, what are your reactions?