Author Topic: Death of film?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Death of film?
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:49:30 AM »
Members ask if art is dead.  I'm curious, is film dead?  I know its not!  Lets see some reviews!  Even if its star wars and not an indie flick! What did you think of Hitch Hikers Guide?  Art and film go hand in hand, and I would love to read your opinions, so post away!

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
Death of film?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 12:17:55 PM »
i think some action films are getting kinda bland.  its all like explosion -> save the girl -> save the world.  that and the comic book movies.  although most of them are pretty sweet, its just the same idea you know?

on the other hand i like those really weird movies like city of lost children.  has anyone seen that one??  so great.  and all of the wes anderson movies.  he's a genious.  i could sit here for hours naming them all so i'd better not.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Hollywood
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 12:46:39 PM »
I agree.  A lot of hollywood movies are begining to become reptitive. I am ashamed to say I didn't make it to Georgetown's Last Independant film festival, but I'll visit the next time.

For favorites, I'm a fan of Darren Aronofsky's films Pi, and Requiem for a Dream. Pretty intense work. Foreign films are good. God bless the subtitles in Amores Perros, and the moves Blue, White, and Red. (2 very different directors and content, but excellent films!) I also enjoy asian flicks, (house of flying daggers or suicide club, and others). Classics like Das Boot are great.

If there is a particular film you really dig, write a review.

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
Death of film?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 01:32:59 PM »
ooh have you seen Y Tu Mama Tambien?  that one is a good foreign film too.  I only saw it once though a while ago, so i don't think i could write up a good review.

**shameless plug alert**
also, me and my roommates entered in the orlando 36 hour film fest and won third prize.  thats good considering we had to make a silent film.  you can check out our film here:  REWINDER

let me know what you think!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Y tu
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 01:35:37 PM »
Y Tu Mama and Amores Perros have the same director.  Both great moveis!  I'll reply shortly about your film!  Congrats on your award!

Jason

Death of film?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 02:52:10 PM »
Beginning to be repetitive? C'mon, when has the industry changed? The only that has changed are concepts driving the genre. Every action has been the same since the beginning of time. The only thing that has changed are directing styles, and the theme behind them. The anywhere from Star Wars, with your space heroes, Indiana Jones with your jungle adventurist, to James Bond the suave and smooth spy, The Matrix with the cool cats and ass kicking, its all the same formula. Personal Tragedy/born to be a hero, woman/someone important needs to be saved and possibly the world. What makes it interesting, are those few times when someone comes up with something new to spice it up, whether it be good writing and a fun time, like IJ or something wild and spectacular like the Matrix was when it came out. Right now all the action movies are going through the "cool matrix/crouching tiger special effects fighting" stage. I think it's exciting when someone can do something interesting with an industry standard, whether it be an action movie, romantic comedy, whatever... when someone can actually inject something interesting into it, it becomes very cool in my book. :)

As far as comic book adaptations... they are gold... I loved super hero comics as a kid, and I'm gonna eat up every adaptation they make now, whether they be great (spiderman, xmen 2, hulk [yes some didnt like it, i thought it was well done], first two batmans, etc) or crap (daredevil). :D

What do you guys feel about the "mini hollywood-independent" films that are cropping up recently, such as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Garden State and Lost in Translation? I personally loved all 3 movies, but they arent really truely indy like it used to be...

hmmmm

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Ah but for the joy of semantics.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 03:34:21 PM »
From the beginning of time?  The film industry is still some what new.  The first machine showing animated images was invented in 1867. Historically, motion pictures are still quite new.

No redundancy isn't new, but the industry has become redundant at times.  Some have said that most play rights have all borrowed from Shakespearean plots.  That, atleast, has been done at least from the beginning of Shakespeare. It wasn't suggested that this began yesterday or even a month ago.  There are great new things happening. And even in Hollywood. However at moments it does stand--repetitive, and some times there is a loss in the copy that covers the old version.

That said, taste is a personal matter, and that's great, it leaves room for differences of opinion.  

Yes.  Eternal Sunshine was a great movie.  Well done.  Well acted.  and Well thought.

Jason

Death of film?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 05:54:51 PM »
Beginning of time was obviously sarcasm :-P

And exactly my point on that the industry has its redundant times, times of lack of creativity, i think hollywood is rather "meh" right now... but I'm sure that will change soon enough. What can I say, I'm a movie whore, I appreciate all movies for what they are supposed to be. ie, if I go see a summer blockbuster, I'm going in expecting to be entertained by loads of special effects and fun... not an actual good movie. I guess it makes it hard to disappoint me... :)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Oh ok.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 07:13:44 PM »
Ok. Case closed.  So aside from that branch..

Raymond, I downloaded your film! It took like 20 minutes, but I got it!  NIce job.  Sci-fi with a sense of humor!  Its great to see silent film meet digital technology! (I assume)  have you guys thought about shooting with film?  Maybe pick up a used bolex?  Was this for a fun or a class.  Are you guys going to do more?  Question answered.  Film is not dead in DC.  Do you know of other cats doing shorts like this?

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
Death of film?
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 07:23:20 AM »
hey thanks for checking that out, i'm glad you liked it.  me and my team have definitely been talking about shooting on film, but we just haven't been able to afford it yet.  hopefully soon we'll have some money stashed away to experiment with though.  but yeah, we didn't make that short for a class or anything, pretty much just for the festival.  we had to do it in under 36 hours which made it even more exciting.  as for new stuff, we have actually been filming the last two days, and are headed down to florida tonight to film for four more days.  once we get that finished product posted i'll let you know.