Author Topic: Video Footage of the Fire Evacuation of Artomatic, May 26, 2012  (Read 716 times)

Offline Kim_Stark

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sagittarius Dolly
I was at the Artists Social on the 9th floor when the fire alarm suddenly went off and the entire building was evacuated. Here is my video footage of what it was like.

http://youtu.be/AqgW1Z91R7E

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
Re: Video Footage of the Fire Evacuation of Artomatic, May 26, 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »
Any ideas about the fire alarm?  Was it a drill?  Did someone pull it?
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
I don't know what happened...I wasn't there...but I know on the north end of the 6th floor someone wrote a sign on the wall next to a fire alarm that said something like "pull this - you know you want to" ...no idea if that had anything to do with it...but that is kind of an "attractive nuisance" & maybe should be removed...ya know, painted over and obscured by the notice that says "Artomatic fully supports freedom of speech"

Offline Pelican Arts

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Pelican Arts
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »
It was, in fact, a manually pulled alarm on the 6th floor.

Although the "Art Reactor" was an interesting and potentially fun experiment this and other juvenile acts have made it necessary to close the floor.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:39:49 AM by Pelican Arts »
Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere. -- Gilbert K. Chesterton

blog.PelicanArts.com
www.39thStreetGallery.org

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »
Wow!  It is so amazing to me that people would do that....
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline BarryS

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »
Kim-- Thanks for posting the video.  It was helpful for our review of safety and evacuation procedures.  Overall, the evacuation of the building went smoothly. 

It's unfortunate we need to shut down the Art Reactor floor because of multiple problems from a few knuckleheads.  Besides the false alarm, we had people spray painting (health hazard and not allowed), smashing large holes in the drywall, removing and destroying ceiling tiles (part of the building fire control system), entering restricted rooms and removing items, throwing cans of paint on the floor, painting the windows, elevators, and other surfaces that were off limits.  We were also worried the vandalism and indiscriminate tagging was spreading into other parts of the building.  Our priority is protecting the people and art in the building-and the 6th floor space became a problem and a big distraction.

-Barry
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian