Author Topic: Creating Wei  (Read 990 times)

Offline michaelschiffer

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
Creating Wei
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
This year has been a year of firsts. This is my first Artomatic and first time exhibiting. Moving from New York to the D.C. area has proven to be the best decision. While NY is kicking out the arts/artist, D.C. is inviting them in. Artomatic is everything it says to be - by artists for everyone. It is the best feeling in the world to belong to a community. Greatest opportunity of a lifetime. So honored for it to be the home of my first professional exhibition. To all the artist and staff who have worked so hard to put this together - warm wishes of hello and thank you!

If you stop by the 9th floor come check out the Creating Wei exhibit (the kitchen by the peeps):

June 22, 2012 will mark the one-year anniversary of the date on which Ai Weiwei was released from detainment.

Ai Weiwei gained global attention when he was first detained, garnering much support from the arts community and public alike. During the time of his detainment, the Guggenheim Museum in New York launched an online petition calling for involvement to support his release.

Creating Wei, an exhibition on the 9th floor (in the kitchen by the Peeps) is calling upon the same participation now to celebrate the anniversary of his release. All you have to do is plant a sunflower seed. By doing so, you are sending a message of appreciation to an artist who has used social sculpture to advocate free creative expression. Now let's all use creative expression to spread social sculpture!

In the exhibition area is a computer providing access to www.creatingwei.org. This website is centered around a virtual garden for people to sign up and plant a virtual seed. Over the course of Artomatic, visitors will be able to view the seeds growing on a television screen located in the same room.

On June 22, 2012 all of the sunflower seeds will bloom. The blooming sequence will begin at noon and run through 11 pm.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: Creating Wei
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
Hey that's great to hear.  Funny, I always hear people looking to escape DC to get to NY.  In 2004 Artomatic had a very similar impact on me, while I'm from this area, I went to college and was surrounded by creativity, then came back to the DC area and felt like I was in a creative wasteland.  I stumbled on Artomatic and thought holly crap!  Artists do live in this city, and they do!  Your project sounds great.  I'm definitely going to check it out.

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
cool michael. i'll check out your space. i'm on 9 but i missed the kitchen as there always seemed to be people in there.

Offline michaelschiffer

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
Jesse,

New York is great for the well established and the hobnobbing, but discouraging for the emerging. D.C. is definitely the place to be right now for the emerging arts. Artomatic has been a genuine invitation to some of the greatest people I have ever met. What college did you attend?

Thank you so much for the kind words. Definitely come by! I have the computer set up every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 4 to closing. Every Saturday and Sunday from opening to closing. But the website is always available 24/7 at www.creatingwei.org.

Offline michaelschiffer

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
Sean,

Thank you so much. I would love to check out your space as well! Where on 9 are you located?

Offline jennifer

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • jennifer beinhacker - art outside the edge
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
hi michael-i posted a photo of me and you in your space on my thread.

hugs, jennifer
jennifer beinhacker
"art outside the edge"
http://jenniferbeinhacker.com/home.html

flickr.com : http://www.flickr.com/photos/30462932@N07/

Offline michaelschiffer

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
Jennifer!

Love that photo! May I save it in my computer for memories? Couldn't have ask for a better Artomatic neighbor. Lorenzo and I are so honored to have met you. Lorenzo is especially happy to have you as a partner in crime. Check out your sign in book when you get a chance (finally got that calming drink). We should all have a toast one of these nights.

Hope to see you again soon

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
Interesting, I have always thought our city was great for offering the opportunity of something to happen.  The only down fall is limited support.  But over the last number of years, I have seen things improve, but that's a topic for another discussion.  I'm glad you are enjoying the DC area and Artomatic.  Cheers and welcome!

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
Sean,

Thank you so much. I would love to check out your space as well! Where on 9 are you located?

ne side, next to those glass doors. i have the backlit glass relief pieces.

Offline michaelschiffer

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »
Interesting, I have always thought our city was great for offering the opportunity of something to happen.  The only down fall is limited support.  But over the last number of years, I have seen things improve, but that's a topic for another discussion.  I'm glad you are enjoying the DC area and Artomatic.  Cheers and welcome!

If it is any consolation, this website is a great informational support - everything else follows. Thank you for the welcome!

Offline michaelschiffer

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »

ne side, next to those glass doors. i have the backlit glass relief pieces.

Those are some of my favorite pieces in the entire building. Was thinking about how I could produce something with that backlight technique. I'm actually very interested in how you put the backlight together. I left a business card in your sign in book hoping to hear from the artist. This artdc website is really great for connecting artists. When you will you back at AOM? Would love to stop by to hear more on your piece.

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
Welcome to DC!  I will visit your exhibit and plant a sunflower seed.
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

Those are some of my favorite pieces in the entire building. Was thinking about how I could produce something with that backlight technique. I'm actually very interested in how you put the backlight together. I left a business card in your sign in book hoping to hear from the artist. This artdc website is really great for connecting artists. When you will you back at AOM? Would love to stop by to hear more on your piece.

thanks michael. i'll be at AOM on saturday and sunday. i used an LED panel. i needed a thin, low heat, low wattage, long lasting perfectly even light. if you don't need that, you can do it a lot more economically.

Offline jennifer

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • jennifer beinhacker - art outside the edge
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »
hi michael-yes of course you may have the photo.
and here is another one....we were at aom yesterday and helena happily put in her quarter to buy some seeds..but alas...all she got was a top....so we gave her another quarter and it worked.
she bought the quarter from home in a plastic bag just to do this.

and i too am delighted to have you and lorenzo as my neighbors at aom.....friends forever!!!!!!  :smt004

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:11:20 AM by jennifer »
jennifer beinhacker
"art outside the edge"
http://jenniferbeinhacker.com/home.html

flickr.com : http://www.flickr.com/photos/30462932@N07/

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
Michael - thanks for all of your help today, your good cheer & attention to detail made me life so much easier today. I forgot to thank you before I left.
http://www.meanlouise.com
neither mean nor louise

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
I have planted several of your sunflower seeds in my sunflower garden.....waiting for them to sprout any second now....