Author Topic: introductions  (Read 45813 times)

Offline Tami

• View Profile
introductions
« on: April 12, 2004, 08:03:29 PM »
Hello all.  At this point in the lifespan of this board, I imagine we all know Jesse, but not necessarily each other.  It'd be great if everyone could give a blurb about themselves.

Anyway, I'm Tami.  I'm a first year grad student getting my Masters of Fine Arts at Towson.  My focus is black and white photography, mostly having something to do with alternative presentation.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 03:39:47 PM by Jesse »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
introductions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 08:41:51 PM »
Hello.  good idea for introductions!  My name is Jesse Cohen.

I'm a photographer located in arlington.  My work is mostly abstract color studies, and i'm working into figure and form photography, along with a few product shots on the side.

I'm really pleased with the idea of createing a tighter network of artists!

Offline Kim_Stark

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Sagittarius Dolly
Introduction
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 01:34:37 PM »
My name is Kim Stark and I'm trying to break into the art field. Ever since I was young I used to draw and paint. Art was among my favorite subjects in school.

I was discouraged from studying art in college because I was told that artists tend to starve themselves plus many artists tend to have mental problems (with Vincent Van Gogh being mentioned as a frequent example of this). I majored in journalism with a minor in government and politics only to find out that I graduated in an era of media consolidation along with cutbacks in hiring new reporters. So I worked a series of office jobs that my parents approved of (my mother used to tell me that being a secretary guarantees a paid income) but I found boring and, at times, stressful (I had too many bosses who expected me to have an answer about a lot of stuff that weren't in my original job description but weren't willing to consider me for a promotion or give me a substantial raise even though I tried to work hard).

I tried getting into web design,  I took a few courses along that route, and I worked in that field for a while but I'm tired of constantly running back to school for retraining in some new software/technology. I returned to Prince George's Community College to take courses in Photoshop and Flash but I also began to take drawing and painting classes and I discovered that people were more impressed with creations I did by hand vs. creations I did by computer.

For the past two years I've been involved in a Creativity Circle at my church, which uses Julia Cameron's book "The Artist's Way" and I found that the reason why I was unhappy all those years is because I listened to others when it came to my career choices.

I would really like to meet other artists and get some pointers about careers and stuff. I've worked in a variety of mediums including acryllic, ink, pencil, and collages. I used to be involved with photography until the shutter on my 15-year-old Pentax broke and discovered that it couldn't be repaired because Pentax no longer makes the part for that particular model. I use a point-and-shoot digital camera and a cheap point-and-shoot 35mm camera but I miss the flexibility that a single lens reflect camera provides.

Right now the only artwork I have online are a bunch of animations in both QuickTime and Flash at this URL:

http://www.twistedunicorn.com

By the way, if you can get the artdc.org art show off the ground, I wouldn't mind submitting some of my artwork to it. Right now I'm working on a painting and I have other pieces that I've done for my classes that I can also submit.

Cheers!

Kim

:smt020 [/url]

Offline egarberus

• View Profile
Introduction
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »
Hello all,
I am a painter living in Arlington. In order to grow, I think artists need to share and compare. Trading off trained eyes to dish out constructive criticism is a must. I don't know any other artists ironically enough, but i would like to change that.
     I have been painting and sculpting since I was a little girl. I mainly paint people and how they interact with each other. I like to mix mediums, especially oil pastels and acrylics. My palette is filled with bright colors. I am self taught. Painting for some people is a pleasurable pastime. For me it is agonizingly stressful and draining, although those moments when I can stand back and stare at something that came out of me, are the most beautiful moments in my life. I am sure you can all dig. Some of my favorite artists are Gustav Klimt(the man), Egon Schiele, Margaret McDonald, Rodin, Otto Dix, just about EVERYTHING Art Nouveau........that's me. :smt006
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
- Oscar Wilde
Let each man exercise the art he knows.
- Aristophanes

Offline msdemanche

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.umes.edu/arts
Re:introductions
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 09:59:56 AM »
hey to all
I am Michel Demanche, you may have seen my dead animal art in the gallery.
Hi to Tami and Jesse.
I am professor of photography on the eastern shore.
I have been at this for a long time it seems.
I have gone from ludic postmodern to now moe postmodern which means from altering reality with photography to creating my own reality with photography.
Fun for all.

':smt006
Hello, this is a wonderful idea. I am glad to participate even if I am a distance from DC down here on the Eastern Shore.

Offline angelakleis

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelakleis.com
introductions
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 10:25:23 AM »
Hi Ya'll!  I'm from Richmond, VA but have been in NoVA since college (GMU).  I actually have a degree in biology and work in the industry.  I did things a bit backwards...didn't pursue photography in school, but have recently gotten back into it and have been entering shows like mad over the past year.  I wish I had more time to devote to photography, it's like a second job!  I'm working on a few series, but they are slow going.  My website just got finished www.fotographeria.com and I have a few things uploaded already.  I'd have more of my work printed, but this is a really expensive "hobby"!  I am working on setting up my own darkrom, which will reduce my costs dramatically.  Thanks!

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
introductions
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 10:31:10 AM »
hi everyone,
my name is raymond klecker, i live in aspen hill, md, and i am a computer tech for the FDA.  I am kinda new to the art scene, just painting in my spare time.  i never took any art classes (except one painting class when i was 10) and i hope that doesn't affect me to much.  i'm pretty young at 22 and painting and drawing is all i want to do.  i've been recently working on getting into galleries and my goal is to be able to paint full time.

Offline mattach

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.canyoupicturethat.com
Me
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 03:27:57 PM »
Excellent idea for an introductions post. and Thanks Jesse for the gathering together of all artist types.

Hi everyone, I'm Matt Achhammer. My primary art is photography. I graduated with degrees in Theatre Arts and English. Naturally, I write, mostly poetry, and in theatre my focus is primarily on lighting design and set design. Locally, I've designed lighting for a few shows for a small theatre in Baltimore.
My photography  started out focusing purely on nature, much of it in my playtime in the woods. I now shoot nature as well as cityscapes, epople, etc., in both color and black and white. It's an expensive hobby as others have noted, and that keeps me shooting at 35mm, but in film only, not digital. I am interested in branching out to medium format, alternative process etc. as time and money permit.
I'm anxious to share with and meet many of you through this board and beleive not matter what your medium is, this will be a great place to exchange ideas and inspiration and support.

Peace
Matt
Matt
-------------------------------------
www.canyoupicturethat.com

Offline JennRGolden

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • jennifergolden.com
introductions
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 04:54:40 PM »
Wow!  I don't know how I missed this posting.  I've been a member of the forum for a little while.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who has knocked around a bit.  I studied at Memphis College of Art and the University of Memphis.  Moved to the DC area in July 1999.  I paint acrylic abstracts.  I like thick paint and lots of color.  Talk about starving artist!  I can go through paint sometimes just slopping it on with a palette knife and sculpting it on the canvas!

Anyway, my "bread winning" function is as an Executive Assistant at Discovery.  Somehow these fools have plopped me down in the Treasury Department!  Don't ask me to add, but they are all amazed by my creativity - does a lot for the ego. :mrgreen:  

Anyway, I paint in the wee hours of the morn - don't know why but I seem to wake up fresh from a dream (or nightmare) and have the urge to paint.

Nice to meet you all!

- Jenn

Offline Pyrite

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
introductions
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 01:26:02 PM »
Hello Lurkers...

I am an abstract-mixed-media-hard-to-explain-grounded-in-multiple-sub-genres artist who moved back to DC after spending 3 years in rural Tennessee (studio space cheap, inspiration abundant, annoyances scarce, distractions few, boredom aplenty).

I currently work as a contract-thrall at a small technolgy firm in downtown dc.

Well, that's about it...I like fast horses, slow meals, and plenty of goofing off.  :smt023
w.c.winton

Offline Arty4ever

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
Greetings & Salutations!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 03:53:34 PM »

Greetings & Salutations!

My name is Michael Auger. My last name is pronounced O-zhá. It's French, and while I am proud to be American I think "freedom fries" sounds inane but I'll try not to start ranting about who I didn't vote for. :lol:

At any rate, I'm quite pleased to have found this forum and be a part of the Washington DC art scene. I am an active freelance illustrator and I also create offbeat paintings for fun. I invite you to visit my website to view my online portfolio... (see the link below)

Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline Deena Gorland Photography

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
introductions
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 11:08:46 AM »
Greetings, my name is Deena. I am a freelance photographer working for National Geographic, UPI, The Coca Cola Company, ATF & American University.
I have a photography business specializing in children's portariture, creative portraits, formal and informal events.
I also have been working  17 years on a series of Self-Portraits, which is always evolving.
It's great to have ARTDC, which has been a great resource for me and I am sure for others.
Keep creating, and thinking out side the box.
Deena

Offline Afrika

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Afrika Abney
RE: Introductions
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 12:16:38 PM »
Greetings:

My name is Afrika Midnight Asha Abney and I am visual artist. I also am capable of preparing press releases, writing artist bios, writing artist resumes and promoting art events.

If you are interested in learning more about me as a visual artist please feel free to check out my artist page at:
http://aashawarrior.artistportfolio.net/index.php?secret=140&artist_id=4513

If you would like to learn more about the writing and promotional services, please feel free to contact me at Aashawarrior@aol.com

Peace
Afrika Midnight Asha Abney

Offline luckyghost

• View Profile
introductions
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 04:43:43 PM »
Hi,

I am a DC area artist who is collecting and posting secrets written on postcards.

Please consider sending me an anonymous secret for my website: http://www.PostSecret.com

Thanks,
-Frank

Offline bigsky

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
introductions
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 10:37:02 PM »
hello everyone.

my name is Bobby. I go by B as well. I have always been fascianted by expression through the arts. I am improving my guitar playing skills, as I'd like to form a band within the next year or so. I write often, mostly lyrics and poetry. I enjoy photography and painting as well. I love going to art museums and galleries; only wish I currently lived in DC to be closer to everything.

Speaking of which.......besides exchanging ideas with fellow artists, I'd like to start some new friendships if possible and get to know some of you and eventually hang out and meet one another. If you are into great music(verve,brmc,oasis,stones,wilco,roxy music,whiskeytown,ryan adams,doves,pernice bros.,beatles,the who,motown,blues,air,sun kil moon,mark kozelek,big star,teenage fanclub,etc.),films,a good beer or two,writing,photo,travel,telling stories,going to a neighborhood pub for a chat,trekking thru cities,museums.......send me a line and introduce yourself.

Thanx everyone. take care.

B

Offline grey_agent

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Poetic Idealism
New guy
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 03:25:51 AM »
I guess I am the newest person here.  Also one of the few interested primarily in writing?  
I mostly write poetry in any number of styles, I'm working on my BA in English at NOVA/GMU, and I've been published once or twice, and working on some new stuff to be published soon (if I can get any editors to read it...)

Hey, if any of you photographers want to try a collaboration in photo/poetry, send me a message!  I'm thinking nature, or femininity, or complete abstractionism are doable...

And that's about it...

Eric W.

Offline deirdre

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Broken Raygun
introductions
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »
Hi everyone.  I've been a member of this board for a while, but only to gather info; I haven't participated much.

My name is Deirdre.  I also go by d.marie.  I'm a 22 year old student.  I have my associates in photography, working on my BFA and MAT as George Mason.  

Currently, I am learning and experimenting in the ceramics field, and am really enjoying myself :)

Offline Emmie Lou

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
Figure Drawing / Hello
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2005, 06:01:56 AM »
Hello everyone.
I have a BFA in painting/sculpture but have taken more of a break than planned based on real estate - or lack of it.  I don't have anywhere to paint where I live, and wanted to inquire about live models - as I prefer figure painting/drawing (nude - the models, not me  :smt001 )
I am also very interested in jewelry design and I'm looking to get involved in jewelry making classes in the area.
I have lived in NOVA for about six years, but have seen DC as an area of art receivers - not givers...if that makes sense.  I've lived in NYC - and there was no shortage of classes/groups of all kinds actively making art.  DC - not so much like that.  
SO - I'm hoping to gain some insight as to the local art scene - what's really happening, and what I can become involved in.
Hello to all!

Offline Jmason

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bktc.net
introductions
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »
Hi all, John here. I am an attorney who works with artists of all types: writers, visual artists, musicians, filmmakers, photographers, painters, designers . . . you get the idea. I handle copyright and trademark matters, contracts and licenses of all types and general business and commercial advice. I also litigate, particularly copyright infringement.

I sit on the board of directors of a nonprofit improv theater and also work with writers as a literary agent. I think what Jesse is doing here is a great idea and hope to see it catch on. A forum to share ideas and network is a good step in the development of the DC art community.
Nothing contained herein should be construed as legal advice. If you believe you have a legal issue, please consult an attorney. That being said, inquiries from artists are always welcome.

Offline salsus

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Salsus Designs
introductions
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 11:10:42 PM »
Hi, I'm Sara and will be moving to DC in the fall to teach for the Corcoran's continuing education program for a semester and then begin grad school at GW in the spring. My senior thesis for undergraduate involved applying the Jungian "collective unconscious" to both conscious and subconscious automatic drawing.

I like to draw with strange things like burnt check books, roll-on deodorant (both the actual deodorant and just using the bottle for ink), index cards and metal chains.

My exposure is quite limited and that's something I'll be working on when I make it out to DC.  Nice to meet you all. -Adios
Sara Hoffman
http://www.salsusdesigns.com
[the lesbian in a hat]