Author Topic: A couple new things at www.davidmichaelconner.com  (Read 1693 times)

Offline davidmichaelconner

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.davidmichaelconner.com
A couple new things at www.davidmichaelconner.com
« on: February 21, 2005, 02:09:07 PM »
Hello,

I am a burgeoning artist living in Arlington, VA.  I would love to become involved in the DC arts community, but I don't know where to begin and--to be honest--I don't know if I am even good enough to pursue anything but creating paintings for myself as occupational therapy.  That said, I'd really love to become more "professional" at what I am doing, and I'd appreciate any feedback I can get.

My website, http://www.davidmichaelconner.com, features some of my recent paintings.

Here's a little background on me:

-I'm a writer/editor who grew up in the DC area
-I also write short fiction and I have finished my first novel, No Angel Came, which is currently being reviewed by a literary agent in New York.  I've been nervously awaiting his reply for nine weeks (!!!) now.   :???:
-When I was young (high school), I wanted to pursue visual arts as a profession, but I chickened out.  I'm kind of happy about that decision, actually, because it allowed me to culture my writing abilities, but I also lost a lot of precious experience and years of painting.
-I recently (fall 2004) picked up a paint brush for the first time in 8 years, and I remembered what I love about it, and I want to do it a lot more.  My friends, family and colleagues (in a completely unrelated field) have encouraged me to look into getting more experience and trying to show, but I'm not confident enough for that.  Yet.   :wink:

Can anyone give me honest feedback on the quality of my work, and suggest places I could go to culture my painting quality and my networking with the DC artistic community?  I'm begging for help.  Please initiate me!!

David
Please visit my website at www.davidmichaelconner.com.  Feedback to dmconner@aol.com is welcome. :-)

"An angel's face is tricky to wear constantly."  --Tori Amos

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 07:45:49 PM »
I like your water color work.  The bright colors in the image below are quite nice.  Water colors are a hard medium to master, and when done right, I find it quite pleasing to look at.  Keep it up.

"Firelily" Water Color
http://www.davidmichaelconner.com

There are several interesting topics to check out in the art business section, which discuss ideas about how to improve just that--you're art business.

Then in the techniques section there are several threads on various methods of creativity.  Look around there, and if you have specific questions, post them there.

There is always hope, and if you like art, keep it up.  

Congrats on the book.  I'd like to hear more about your experience with that process in the writer's section when you get a chance.  

--Jesse

Offline Amy

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
Help!! David Michael Conner
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 08:27:05 PM »
Hi David. I think your paintings are really nice. I think you have a nice technique with the watercolor paintings. I especially like "Firelily." Your acrylics are nice, too, but I'm partial to the watercolors. Keep us posted on the progress of your writing career.

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 08:33:19 PM »
Thanks to you both for your kind comments.  One question: Does all this attention to watercolors mean my acrylic works suck?  Heh.  I'm kidding--partly.  But really, I tend to work mostly with acrylics lately, and I was pretty proud of the portrait I did.   :???:

Ah well...

By the way, I just opened a shop at www.cafepress.com/dmconner where you can order all kinds of crappy merchandise with some of my images emblazoned on them.  :smt001   Ya know, just in case I never get a chance to sell out--I'm starting early!

David
Please visit my website at www.davidmichaelconner.com.  Feedback to dmconner@aol.com is welcome. :-)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Cool..
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 08:54:34 PM »
Cool.  Check out our shop here.

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 09:19:51 PM »
Nifty.   :wink:   You  were smart enough not to list about 1,000 items like I did, huh?  Methinks I'm going to have to scale back.

Offline i am kleck

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 05:49:53 PM »
i lied, i'm not going to email you with suggestions, but i'll post them here...

i think your paintings are good.  the colors and the composition are awesome, i just think you need to keep practicing your technique.  for your acrylics, work a little more to try and get more detail.  really practice on making clean crisp lines and then everything will fall into place.  

as for your watercolors, they look pretty damn good, so just keep painting and painting and painting...

the only major problem i have, and it's not only with your work but with many artists, is that i feel like i have seen these pictures a thousand times.  that might be what you're going for cause thats the stuff that will usually sell, just cause people kinda know what they are looking for.  for me, i always like to see new things and a different take on the world.  but thats just my opinion and what do i know, i'm only 22..

either way, if you're having fun who cares what others think, eventually people will catch on and your energy will show in your work.  hope this helps instead of making me look like a dick!  rock on.

silver

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 11:40:56 AM »
Quote from: i am kleck
either way, if you're having fun who cares what others think, eventually people will catch on and your energy will show in your work.

i second that.  just keep painting!

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
A couple new things at www.davidmichaelconner.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 07:59:02 PM »
I've been busy with work and grad school (creative writing), but I have a couple of new works up for scrutiny and cruel and unusual comments.   :smt016  Look under "paintings."

www.davidmichaelconner.com