Author Topic: Looking for assistance with a photography project on hoarding  (Read 548 times)

Offline Ev Clark

• View Profile
    • everittclarkphotography.com
Hello Artdc.org!

My name is Everitt Clark, and I am an Alexandria-based photographer.  For my latest project I am searching for hoarders and collectors who would be willing to let me take pictures in their living spaces.  My goal is to show that there is a peculiar sort of beauty found only inside a cluttered home.

This project, as you can imagine, is a hard sell.  I've posted about my project on craigslist and several other forums.  I've distributed a flyer describing my project at local yard sales.  I've even consulted with journalists and psychologists who have written extensively about compulsive hoarding.  Although I have received much helpful advice and many kind words of support, I haven't yet found a single person who is willing to actively participate in my project.  Sometimes I feel a little like this:  :headonwall:

I'm writing this post to request the help of my fellow artists.  First, I suspect that an artist who is dealing with a hoarding or collecting habit would be more open to participating in this project than an average person.  Second, most artists have come across some pretty interesting characters over the years.  We probably all know somebody who obsessively collects stuff of one kind or another.  Although none of my acquaintances have been willing to participate in my project, I hope that by expanding the search to the entire DC artistic community, I will ultimately be able to find somebody who is brave and open-minded enough to give me a chance.

If you're interested in participating in my project, or if you know somebody who might be interested, I would love to hear from you!  Please read this brief description on my website to find out more about what I intend to do: http://www.everittclarkphotography.com/hoarding.html.  You can write to me either through artdc.org or through the contact form on my website.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my project.

- Ev Clark
http://www.everittclarkphotography.com/

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
Re: Looking for assistance with a photography project on hoarding
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:09:58 PM »
Boy do I know what it feels like to metaphorically beat your head against the wall! I wish you luck there! Wish I knew some hoarders to send your way! Maybe you’d have to offer a stipend or some organizational services in exchange?