Author Topic: News from Galerie Schiff  (Read 1326 times)

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
News from Galerie Schiff
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:52:29 PM »
My web page www.galerieschiff.com has just been updated, including some new images and news of current and upcoming exhibitions.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:21:55 AM by GalerieSchiff »

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
Re: News from Galerie Schiff
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
I noticed the Digimarc Icon on your home page. Can you comment on your experience using that? What has it showed you so far (in terms of where your images have traveled) and was it worth doing? I noticed their disclaimer about where it can't search. I'm curious to see if tumblr has been the most blantent theft location.

Thanks

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
Digimarc experience
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
The service is reasonably priced, the software integrates seamlessly into GIMP and Photoshop, and the search service is acceptable.  My only complaint is that one has to go to the Digimarc web site from time to time and initiate a search - they are not proactive at all.

The security of the site has now been improved still further since my new provider disables right click and drag and drop copying.  It is still possible to do a screen shot capture, but the quality of that is poor.  I am waiting to see if Google is able to scrape any of my images off the new site.  Those guys have no respect whatsoever for other peoples' IP.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:26:02 AM by GalerieSchiff »

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
I used to use digimarc to water mark my images on the web years ago. The software did a great job.

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:02:24 AM »
Announcement:

American Center for Physics Gallery, One Physics Ellipse, College Park, MD  (301) 209-3125. Open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. Density Fluctuations: paintings by Shanthi Chandrasekar, photographs by Stephen Schiff and sculptures/mixed media works by Ellyn Weiss; October 14, 2014  – April 10, 2015; reception and gallery talk, October 14, 5:30-7:30pm; curator: Sarah Tanguy; www.acp.org.

Thumbnails of six of the twelve images by Stephen Schiff can be viewed on my web site www.galerieschiff.com.

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 07:53:46 AM »
Announcement:

Strathmore Hall - Invitational Gallery  10701 Rockville Pike, North Bethesda, MD, Open Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat 10 - 4; Wed 10 - 9; Sun 12-4
Ice Age on the Potomac:  Photographs from Stephen Schiff's "Potomac Ice" series
January 10 - March 1, 2015; reception January 11, 2:00 - 4:00 PM

Thumbnails of five of the fourteen images can be viewed on my web site www.galerieschiff.com

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »
In the interest of complete disclosure, the images in my Potomac Ice series, being displayed under the label Ice Age on the Potomac, are scanned negatives, and as such, have not been manipulated in any significant way.  It's the closest thing to "straight photography" that you will ever see from me.  I'm saying this because there is a press release out there - not written by me, and not written in consultation with me - that would imply that these images are tessellated or fractals or somehow otherwise manipulated.  While the images explore the boundaries between the so-called real and abstract, they were taken directly from nature.  So, if you are enthralled by the press release, you probably won't be so enthralled by the images themselves.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
Cheers to disclosure!  :smt108    :mrgreen:

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 07:25:58 AM »
Re:  cheers to the disclosure:  What does that mean?

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
I just read your post, "In the interest of complete disclosure…” and thought I’d respond.

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
Oh!  Now I understand.  Thanks for the clarification!

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »
No problem!

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »
My solo show at the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center in Frederick opens on April 4th and runs through May 17th.  Entitled "Cloud Studies", it includes 15 images from my Metamorphoses series plus the time lapse video April Storm.  Five of the images can be previewed on the Metamorphoses page of my web site.

The Delaplaine Visual Arts Center is located at 40 South Carroll Street in Frederick, MD.  All are invited to the opening reception on April 4th from 3:00 - 5:00 PM

The "Density Fluctuations" exhibition at the American Center for Physics, featuring twelve of my Tessellations images, continue through April 9th, so there is still time to see it.  The ACP is located at One Physics Ellipse in College Park, MD

I also have a piece showing in the "Lost & Found" show at the Off-Rhode Gallery at 2204 Rhode Island Avenue, NE.  That show runs through April 17th.

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »
An image from my Tessellations series has been selected for the Geometry exhibition at the Hera gallery www.heragallery.com.  The show opens on September 12 and runs through October 10.

Also, I've recently updated my web site, www.galerieschiff.com

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 07:06:26 AM »
I'm pleased to announce that two images from my Reflections series have been selected for the national juried exhibition at the Meridian Street Gallery, http://meridianstreetgallery.com.  The exhibition opens on November 3rd, and runs through the 26th.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:49:37 PM by GalerieSchiff »

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
The year 2015 was a great one for me!  I had two solo shows, and record sales to boot.  Not only that, I learned a lot from the two, ahem, disasters shall we call them? of the year.  Being a follower of the school of leadership that teaches that one learns more from defeats than from victories, I thank the folks at that gallery for rejecting my application, and the folks at Artomatic for the terrific learning experience.  But I especially thank those involved at the Delaplaine and Strathmore for selecting me for solo shows, and the many collectors who supported me by buying my work.

2016 is off to a fast start, with two acceptances for two juried shows in the first two months:  At the Strathmore Mansion's 25th annual juried show (January 9 - February 21) and at the ARC Gallery for their juried show, A touch of the blues (February 3 - 21).

As always, remember that I update the images on my web site from time to time, usually monthly but at least quarterly.

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »
I've just completed a comprehensive reorganization of my web site, removing a number of pieces that I no longer consider worth presenting, and adding a significant number of previously unshown works.  The site is organized along the lines of a museum, lending an element of mystery and surprise when going from one gallery into another, as each gallery is unified by its own unique subject, theme, or technique.

I have also changed my web site to provide premium access.  Those who choose not to subscribe have access to Gallery 0, which includes all the pieces that have been on display in brick-and-mortar venues during the past twelve months, plus my news page and list of exhibitions.  Premium subscribers additionally get access to my CV and to three additional galleries that rotate frequently. 

For the short term (until November), an additional gallery is on public view.  Think of it as a temporary exhibition!

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
Obviously, I did not solicit, nor do I endorse, the above comment.  Where is the moderator, and why was that post allowed?  I have no objection to anyone's efforts at self-promotion but why not be honest about it and post something in your own name, in your own thread?

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 02:13:30 AM »
Sorry about that. They were a bit obvious with the Spam. I’ll never quite understand why they abuse forms. Probably the old ideas of gaining page rank.. or some more complex social engineering. None the less, that post has been removed. Anyhow, I've Been on a long “virtual" Holiday. My apologies.  Lot’s of stuff to clean up.  Thanks as always for our continued updates! I value your attention.

Offline GalerieSchiff

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • Galerie Schiff
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Today I reached a milestone:  I received notice of the acceptance of my 100th different piece of artwork into a juried or curated exhibition!  I'd hoped to achieve that within ten years of the date of my first exhibition, and realized it in just under nine years.  Not to blow my own horn, but I did it with very few connections, just my own hard work.  That said, I am thankful to the handful of curators who have offered me solo shows, and to all the independent jurors who found my work to be compelling.

As of right now nine of my works are on display in four juried shows in Maryland, Virginia and California, plus a pop-up show benefiting a local school here in Virginia.  You can find details here:  http://www.galerieschiff.com/about/news