Author Topic: Magical and Mysterious-The work of Jessica B. Hensley  (Read 1164 times)

Offline jbhensley

• Established Poster
  • I'm a jeweler and collage artist
    • View Profile
    • Fantasma Creations
Magical and Mysterious-The work of Jessica B. Hensley
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
Hello everyone,

It's been a very long time since I've posted in the artdc forum. I've decided to start a new blog because I hadn't posted in here for such a long time.

I have great news!

One of my paintings got accepted to the Art League Gallery at the Torpedo Factory!

I'm so excited. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it. I can describe it for you though.

I used guoche on Arches Black Watercolor paper. I achieved this dark moodyness through a build up of light colors underneath darker colors. The painting is called "On the Bridge of My Nose". It looks like a glasses lense is perched on my nose. I also added a collage element, it is a strand of pearls that looks like the bridge of my nose.

I think it got in because I framed it nicely and it kind of had a pun element in the title. There were a group of puny titled works on one wall. Interesting.

Also, I've got into cutting and polishing my own gems and setting them into jewelry with wire. They aren't casted pieces. I'm going to combine my painting with the jewelry setting. It's hard to explain. I'll have a picture when I finish it. It could take a couple of weeks to get it finished.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how everyone is doing. I do think of the artdc gallery from time to time.

Offline jbhensley

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fantasma Creations
Re: Magical and Mysterious-The work of Jessica B. Hensley
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »
I've been working on my jewelry. I tried using a hammer and a chisel and couldn't break my rock open so I got an electric rotary tool, similar to a dremel. It worked! It took me 20 minutes to cut off an eigth of an inch of rock but I did it. I cut a lapis. Then I sanded it and polished it with diamond paste. I think it came out good. I glued it with E6000 to a tin medallion that I glued beads to. I need to take a picture of what I've done so I have a record of it. I'm learning about gem cutting. I'm using cabbing rough mostly since I'm not doing typical faceting. In fact I'd like to try carving faces or birds out of rocks. That's what I'm up to now.

I am experimenting with some collage as well. It's taking me awhile to do it. The piece I'm working on is small, but there are a lot of technical elements that need to work for the piece to work.

That's all for now.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
    • jessecohen.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »
It sounds like you are having fun! Gotta love a dremel!

Offline jbhensley

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fantasma Creations
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
Yes it is fun! I feel so powerful when I use it to cut the stones. There are so many things it can do.

Offline Gone

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:22 PM »
Sounds interesting Jess.  Cutting stones seems difficult.  Waiting for pictures!