Author Topic: Suggestions for the next Artomatic  (Read 10841 times)

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for the next Artomatic
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Well put Barry.  It amazes me how many people have questions about the volunteer commitments, but then I have a small inside understanding from planning my own grass roots exhibition, and with out the help of others it's impossible to pull something off, and it's either got to be a great deal of money or time, or the combination of both. 

Offline theartmonkey

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
AOM is also unique in that it does not charge a commission for works sold as a result of the exhibit. The entry fee/volunteer time helps to make up for the lack of income from percentage of sales. Of course, this means someone who sold 2k worth of stuff pays in time and money equally to someone who sells nothing, but looking at it from the lack of commission standpoint does help justify the fee/time required to participate if you want to look at it in a purely practical way.

Offline iart

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
Got it- Don’t like the rules, don’t play the game.  I wasn’t being specific to myself- just to the general public- trying to get all the facts about something I actually don’t know much about- the website, doesn’t state all of it clearly- in details about numbers, etc.  Since you have such a large number of participants I guess it should be easy to disqualify people because you have 10 to fill their space- maybe you should say that when you lay out the seriousness of the rules, that should help people understand the broader aspect of it.  Good stuff to know, if I enter next year, I will be sure to look at my schedule and make sure I have the time to volunteer and participate. 

And it shouldn’t be a shock for others to see volunteer time as a painful thing, we don’t know everyone’s schedules- there may be some people who like the idea of the show but honestly don’t have a single spare minute- such is life, they shouldn’t be persecuted for it- it seems that anger and defense is one’s first reaction, rather than taking a suggestions and considering it and at least trying to understand someone else’s scenario.  That’s all I was trying to do- trying to figure out both sides… to each his own.

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »
i don't think anyone gets angry when they find out that someone can't participate in AOM because they do not have enough time to make it happen. everyone is busy, and certain schedules jive better with AOM than others. i think people get irritated when people sign up and don't have enough time to dedicate to it, and leave the burden of their share to fall on others. during registration, the site tells registrants to sign up for their mandatory shifts when they sign up, and you can't pick a space without signing up for your minimum shifts, so there should be no excuses there. before installation even begins, every single person signed up should know exactly what is expected of them time-wise, and the available shifts that they can choose from.

unfortunately, when people sign up for shifts and just simply choose not to show up, it causes major problems for the volunteers who do show up, as well as for the artists and patrons.

AOM doesn't put anything ultra-specific on it's web site because the specifics change with each show. varying times of year, new locations, new considerations, number of available shifts and the type of work involved, and all that.  the one thing that stays the same is that AOM completely volunteer run and no one is paid to do their jobs, so it is up to ALL participants to make it run smoothly.  so, for anyone considering participating in future AOMs, i would urge them to find out as much as they can once the details for each show are solidified and then make their decisions from there. 

Offline BarryS

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 04:26:30 PM »
I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  Artomatic is a cooperative art show put on by the participants.  We get together and figure out the minimum payment and artist staff shifts we need to put on the show.  There's no paid staff, no corporation.  Anyone can come and help plan and coordinate the show.  We literally beg every participant and visitor for feedback so we can improve the show. 

I agree, the web site could do a better job articulating the nature and values of the show.  When artists understand how the show really works, participation and responsibilities become much clearer.  There's a large amount of flexibility in when you work your shifts and you can even have a substitute fill your shifts.  We've discussed the idea of "buying out" your shifts, but that seems totally against the grain of a cooperative show.  The experience is not just about throwing up your work--it's about creating a community.  In any community there are rights and responsibilities--you can't have one without the other.  As Sean mentioned, there are a lot of ways to get involved in the local art scene and hopefully--artists can find the part that meets their needs.

...they shouldn’t be persecuted for it- it seems that anger and defense is one’s first reaction, rather than taking a suggestions and considering it and at least trying to understand someone else’s scenario.  That’s all I was trying to do- trying to figure out both sides… to each his own.

Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline seanwelker

• Uber Poster
  • In Chicago, yes, but my heart's in the 202.
    • View Profile
    • sean welker dot com
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
...they shouldn’t be persecuted for it- it seems that anger and defense is one’s first reaction, rather than taking a suggestions and considering it and at least trying to understand someone else’s scenario.  That’s all I was trying to do- trying to figure out both sides… to each his own.

@ireneart:
I appreciate your wanting to play devil's advocate, but I would offer that your empathy in this matter is misguided.  Everyone who signs up to show at AOM also sign on for the obligation for volunteer hours.  This isn't something sprung up on people after they've hung art on a wall.  If someone's life so hectic that they cannot be present at their own month-long art show for a measly fifteen hours, then perhaps that person ought to opt out of participating. 

In order to be assigned a timeslot to pick an Artomatic space, participants have already chosen three shifts online.  Before the site selection happens, participants have to sit through an orientation speech that hammers home the impact of each artist's contribution--and I know, since I gave many of those speeches this year.

Again, Artomatic didn't sneak the whole volunteer thing into the mix.  That there are people who somehow think they are too good for this, or can't be bothered, or are "too busy" is sort of infuriating to those of us who are actively trying to push the DC art scene forward.  I encourage those folks to look for a different show.   

And while I'm encouraging, I would defy them to find a venue that would afford them as much creative freedom.  I would defy them to put on a show that attracts 70K+ visitors.  I would challenge them to handle their own publicity, advertising, security, etc.  And I would challenge them to do all of this for a hundred bucks and fifteen hours.         

People who hide behind their job, or their kids, or their whatever...those folks aren't "bad" people in the slightest.  But they are hiding behind excuses.  No one has "free" time--you have to fight for it and make it.  And from where I'm standing, you shouldn't be able to enjoy the fun parts of AOM unless you're willing to live up to the un-glamorous commitments as well.   
sean welker is a creative based in Chicago.
website - www.seanwelker.com
twitter- sean_welker
facebook- http://www.facebook.com/seanwelker?ref=name#!/pages/Sean-Welker/44683081519?ref=ts

Offline Patrick Stanaski

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2009, 07:50:39 PM »
Branestorm   =   Hire a babysitter to work your Artomatic shift.

Offline iart

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2009, 08:03:55 PM »
whoa- hmm, maybe i was not clear- i have never applied for artomatic- and I am getting all the info before i even consider applying.  By persecution i mean the way some people wanted to disclose the artist's names who didnt show up for their time slots, i never said it was right OR that I would do it. 

I thought this was a forum for suggestions- so I suggested. 

and i dont think people "hide behind their jobs, kids, or that they are hiding behind excuses" - are you referring to the people who applied in the past and then didnt show up for their volunteer hours? Or people that do not apply? Some people may not be interested- I would not even begin to think about how or why people make the decisions that they do.  and I would never assume that a complete stranger is hiding. 

good luck with getting all the volunteers you need for next year and I hope it is another success, as it seems to have been so far. 

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »
Irene - All suggestions are welcome.  Cheers.

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »
Ireneart- this may seem like a strange question but looking back through your posts and the responses, I wonder if (and how many times) you visited AOM this year. I am amazed at the fact that this show even occurs. It is hard to understand how much goes into an artist run event like this. Many of the responses you received are from those who have given way more than 3 shifts to AOM and their frustration comes in having people not show up when they are expected to be there. Throughout the show, many seemed to believe they simply had to work 3 shifts, so if they did not come in when scheduled they felt is would be OK to simply show up another time and "make it up." AOM relies on having a certain number of people for each shift- so many of the responses that you received, which may seem defensive, are from artists that often had to scramble when others were no shows.

You are right that time is short these days. My day job is a minimum of 50 hours a week. I have family responsibilities. I even like to listen to music sometimes without staring at a painting at the same time. Some people take responsibilities more seriously than others. I'm sure you've worked with someone who was always late or left early. For me it was a simple as signing up for three shifts on days I had no prior commitments, putting them on my calendar and then show up ready to work. In other words, fullfilling my responsibilities. So now I'm trying to figure out if I can give up time to be on a committee for the next AOM. As Jesse said all suggestions are welcome, but I don't think anyone sees the shifts going away. Everyone thinking about being a part of this show will have to decide for themselves.

Offline iart

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
Starbucks- you are preaching to the choir. i have no angry words- and nope i have never been to AOM- I have always wanted to, even had a friend who played in it this past time, but atlas I did not make it.  I always regret it and say I will go next year and I haven’t even lived in this city that long so I am sure I will make it at some point.  At the same time, I am not new to massive art shows- been around the block and understand how it works- although people do it differently.  I am curious by nature, so i ask a lot of questions- wanting to know exactly what i and others would be getting into.  Now, trust me, I now know. I would never make a commitment that I did not plan to go thru with and I never said the time commitment was an awful thing that should be banned- I just made a suggestion to see what other ways it could be handled, if at all possible- to meet everyone’s needs, but I now see that it is not something that can be changed. Great, my applause to all of you that dedicate your time- that is admirable. 

However…I think the frustrations that have been aimed at me are not really for me as I have not said or done anything wrong but ask questions and give a suggestion- as the forum intended- I think, not so sure anymore. The frustrations seem to come from a real and defendable place but again, not my deal- there is no reason to get frustrated at me for trying to understand a process.  That is ridiculous to get lashed out at a complete stranger- for no reason, and that is what I caution you to take a look at.  I am a student trying to understand a process from a teacher, and I get yelled at for even thinking or suggesting something, that is not so helpful.  At the same time, I think you have all made your points pretty clear and you have every right to be angry and frustrated at the artists who do not give their share, great.  A suggestion: Create a forum for frustrated artists- because all I wanted to do was help.   

Now I can understand how it is frustrating when people do not fulfill their obligations, but again that is not me, I have never applied and honestly, I am not so sure after all the back and forth that I am even interested.  Good luck and God Bless. 

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2009, 10:21:15 AM »
You should keep your eyes open for the next artomatic happy hour or meeting, and come in join in the discussions. 

Offline Erin Antognoli

• Uber Poster
  • Urban Holga Photographer Extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.erinantognoli.com
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2009, 10:25:26 AM »
ireneart, i don't think anyone was lashing out at you. the thread was asking for suggestions to make AOM better. if you have never attended AOM and don't know what it is about on a basic level, it's hard to make suggestions as to how to improve it. however, your questions were addressed and it appears as though you now have an answer to why certain protocol is in place.  i did not see any frustration aimed at you... people were merely addressing the ideas you presented and telling you why that simply is not possible to accommodate as a way to improve the show.

if you are an artist and want to be a part of the art community here in DC, i would highly recommend you get more information about the show and consider doing it. it's a lot of work, but it's one of the best experiences (in my opinion) for artists in the area because of the social aspect of it. i have met so many people through participating 3 times now, and always look forward to participating in the future.

Offline seanwelker

• Uber Poster
  • In Chicago, yes, but my heart's in the 202.
    • View Profile
    • sean welker dot com
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2009, 11:22:39 AM »
Well said, @Halo.   

@ireneart, I'd like to welcome you to attend Artomatic's Happy Hour social at Science Club (1136 19th St NW, WDC).  They are held every month's first Wednesday from 6-8 or so.  Happy serendipity means that the social falls tomorrow. 

Like Erin wrote, the biggest win from Artomatic isn't the press, or the crowds, or even showing our art, oddly.  It's the connections made with other creatives.  Speaking only for myself, I think being an artist is akin to living on an island--there's a lot of solitude involved in making art.  The friends I've made through AOM have been a significant help in fending me off doubt or distraction.

And as it's been mentioned before, anyone can join a committee and become part of making the show a success.  I've never worked in a more democratic environment, actually, where anyone who shows up has a hand in making change.  That may be a bit much to ask someone who's an AOM newbie, but still--if you're interested, that offer is open to everyone who wants to promote DC's art scene.           

sean welker is a creative based in Chicago.
website - www.seanwelker.com
twitter- sean_welker
facebook- http://www.facebook.com/seanwelker?ref=name#!/pages/Sean-Welker/44683081519?ref=ts

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
I'm going to side with ireneart (to a point)- It often sounds to newer posters on this site, that there ideas are dismissed out of hand. I was trying to put some perspective on why some may seem a little defensive regarding volunteer shifts and point out that this is a subject that has been covered many times- usually in response to someone trying to justify their own reasons for not fullfilling their obligations. In my experience, I've never run across anything like artomatic. Please take anything you interpret as negative "back and forth" with a grain of salt. This was my first AOM and I plan to continue.

If you are still interested but not ready to participate next year, please be sure to attend. Keep asking questions. I think after visiting the show, you'll want to participate. It has been a great experience.

I'm relatively new to the DC area too and this forum has provided me with a lot of insight into the area's art scene.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »
@sboocks  I completely disagree about new posters, while some people have very strong opinions on artomatic related to volunteer work, that does not speak for this site 'artdc.org' as a whole.  As forums go, this one is pretty relaxed and open to new discussion.

Offline sboocks

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Boocks
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2009, 06:45:47 AM »
Jesse- I didn't mean to imply that artdc.org is not an open source for discussion. My comments were specifically directed at the Artomatic thread, which, throughout the show, many newbies' perceived that replies to their posts were simply dismissing them out of hand. My intention was to both let Irene know her comments have surfaced many times and seasoned AOM folks have answers queued up and ready to go while also reminding those seasoned people that most newbies don't understand that this ground has been covered and covered and covered.

In reading through the ireneart's comments and the various replies I found the responses well thought out, and for the most part, very positive. That said, putting the shoe on the other foot, I can see why she may have perceived the comments as cutting her off. It became clear that she had never even attended AOM, let alone participated. She felt that her experience with "massive art shows" may have some value. Maybe they do. It would be good if she remained active and provides whatever input she may have.

Personally, I have found AOM to be a great experience and artdc.org to be very helpful in getting my bearings on the scene. I want to encourage others to use these great resources.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2009, 08:53:27 AM »
Thanks so much for the clarification.   :smt001

Offline iart

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »
suggestion: endless convos are exasperating.  good luck. 

Offline Gone

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
How about wall sharing to reduce shift strain?  Maybe if an artist were to share their wall with another artist, the 2 artists could split the shifts between them.  This might be a way to get more people in the show also.  Say half the entry fee for half a wall.   And each artist works 1 and 1/2 shifts or maybe 2 shifts each.  That might be a way for more people to participate in AOM too.

Oh, and if AOM could provide tables for the Artist's Market it would be nice.  Sure would beat hauling a table into town on the metro.