Author Topic: jewelry making classes for beginners  (Read 15328 times)

Offline scorpiongirl

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
jewelry making classes for beginners
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »
Can anyone recommend a place to take beginner jewelry making classes? (beadwork or metal)

Offline BeadJewelryShopgirl

• artisan jewelry for the artistic soul
    • View Profile
    • Bead Jewelry by Shopgirl
Re: jewelry making classes for beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
I guess it would depend on your location. Most bead stores will offer jewelry courses. Check out their web sites or give them a call. Here are a few:

Accents Beads (accentsbeads.com) in Rockville near White Flint Metro. I've taken their classes and they have good teachers.
Caldron Crafts is another in MD. I've heard they are also good but have not tried them. caldroncrafts.com

Here are some searches to check out others: http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/localstores/states/MD.cty.html
http://www.guidetobeadwork.com/localstores/states/VA.cty.html

Then there's Beadazzled that has stores in MD, VA and DC.

Happy Beading!
Regina
Bead Jewelry by Shopgirl
http://BeadJewelryShopgirl.etsy.com

Offline Amy

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:01:22 AM »
I guess it depends on the type of jewelry you want to make, but The Joy of Beading in Arlington and Georgetown offer beading classes. http://joyofbeading.com/classes.htm

I've visited their Arlington location. It's a pretty big store with a lot of merchandise. Parking is available there too.

I prefer to support local shops, but large retail craft stores such as A.C. Moore and Michael's offer jewelry making classes.

The Supplies for Craft Artisans thread has a good listing of shops that might help you. http://artdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=5031.0
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:07:57 AM by Amy »

Offline glitteryblue

• Emerging!
  • www.glitteryblue.com
    • View Profile
    • Glitteryblue Hand Created Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »
I teach a four hour jewelry design studio class for all levels at AC Moore at Bailey's X Roads in Falls Church, VA. It's not your typical granny beaded jewelry , take a look at my site at www.glitteryblue.com and you can check out my work. I try to keep it interesting and with the four hour slot, I can give everyone lots of individualized attention. If  you are looking for traditional knotting and wirewrapping, I cover those techniques! I always seem to have a very diverse group and it's a lot of fun and a very relaxed atmosphere.
I also teach a kid's class there too. Email me if you'd like to get my schedule. The cost is $28 per person and a supply list is provided.
Shelley
www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New

Offline Amy

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:10:03 PM »
Shelley, this class sounds like a lot of fun. I am interested in taking this class. Heck, I spend so much time and $ at A.C. Moore, I might as well take a class there! I need to get back into jewelry making. I've been amassing supplies and have ideas in my head, I just need to get my hands working.

I teach a four hour jewelry design studio class for all levels at AC Moore at Bailey's X Roads in Falls Church, VA. It's not your typical granny beaded jewelry , take a look at my site at www.glitteryblue.com and you can check out my work. I try to keep it interesting and with the four hour slot, I can give everyone lots of individualized attention. If  you are looking for traditional knotting and wirewrapping, I cover those techniques! I always seem to have a very diverse group and it's a lot of fun and a very relaxed atmosphere.
I also teach a kid's class there too. Email me if you'd like to get my schedule. The cost is $28 per person and a supply list is provided.
Shelley

Offline glitteryblue

• Emerging!
  • www.glitteryblue.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:16:11 PM »
You should definitely come. I am teaching the next one on the 26th from 12-4, then August 23rd. It's very laid back, I bring lots of idea books, magazines and samples. You can bring your coffee or soda and snack and relax. If you have a project in mind I can help you with it, you can bring projects that you're stuck on etc. Like I said, there are beginners and more advanced beaders too and there is plenty of time to help everyone.
www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New

Offline Amy

• Patron
  • Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 09:18:33 PM »
Shelley, how does one sign up for the classes? Do you have to contact AC moore to reserve a space? I'm interested in attending the one on July 26.

Offline glitteryblue

• Emerging!
  • www.glitteryblue.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
Hi there! I am pretty sure the only way to sign up is to show up anytime before the class to reserve your space. I hope to see you there Saturday!
Shelley
www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New

Offline kcfogarty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Shelly - - I saw some of your posts on this forum. Are you still teaching classes at AC Moore - Baileys Xroad?

Offline glitteryblue

• Emerging!
  • www.glitteryblue.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »
BASIC Jewelry Making Workshop
w/ local designer Shelley White of Glitteryblue Handcreated Jewelry
Beginning Jewelry Making
10:00am-1:00pm FEB 20, 2010 (Saturday)

Come and learn how to make jewelry with a local designer on Saturday in an open studio class at the AC Moore in Bailey's Crossroads (7 Corners area)
This is NOT your granny's beaded, boring, typical stuff. I teach all techniques and if you have a certain piece you'd like to make, bring a picture or drawing and I'll help you make it happen. I am a former designer and featured trunk show artist for Macy's North East, the Nordstrom Company and Smithsonian giftshops, I repair estate jewelry, and am an accomplished metalsmith also. I'll have loads of books/mags for inspiration at the class. This class will cover simple techniques and you will learn how to design and finish a piece of jewelry. There will be enough time to make several pieces and to get individual one-on-one instruction. This open studio class is for all levels from beginner to advanced- space is limited so please call or visit the store to secure yourself a place! For additional info/directions/supply list call the store and ask for Jennifer Brown!
Address:
Baileys Crossroads, VA
5800 Crossroads Center Way
Falls Church, VA 22041
(703) 578-1401
Can't wait to see you there!
Shelley

www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New :biggrin:
www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New

Offline glitteryblue

• Emerging!
  • www.glitteryblue.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »
BASIC Jewelry Making Workshop and Open Studio
Beginning Jewelry Making
10:00am-1:00pm March 20, 2010 (Saturday)

Come and learn how to make jewelry with a local designer on Saturday in an open studio class at the AC Moore in Bailey's Crossroads (7 Corners area)
This is NOT your granny's beaded, boring, typical stuff. I teach all techniques and if you have a certain piece you'd like to make, bring a picture or drawing and I'll help you make it happen. I am a former designer and featured trunk show artist for Macy's North East, the Nordstrom Company and Smithsonian giftshops, I repair estate jewelry, and am an accomplished metalsmith also. I'll have loads of books/mags for inspiration at the class. This class will cover simple techniques and you will learn how to design and finish a piece of jewelry. There will be enough time to make several pieces and to get individual one-on-one instruction. This open studio class is for all levels from beginner to advanced- space is limited so please call or visit the store to secure yourself a place! For additional info/directions/supply list call the store and ask for Jennifer Brown!
Address:
Baileys Crossroads, VA
Falls Church, VA 22041
(703) 578-1401
Shelley

www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New
www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New

Offline glitteryblue

• Emerging!
  • www.glitteryblue.com
    • View Profile
Begining Jewelry Technique Class! Saturday April 17th!!!! 10-1pm
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 07:49:26 AM »
BASIC Jewelry Making Workshop and Open Studio
Beginning Jewelry Making
10:00am-1:00pm April 17th, 2010 (Saturday)
Cost $30.00

This is NOT your granny's beaded, boring, typical stuff. I teach all techniques and if you have a certain piece you'd like to make, bring a picture or drawing and I'll help you make it happen. I am a former designer and featured trunk show artist for Macy's North East, the Nordstrom Company and Smithsonian giftshops, I repair estate jewelry, and am an accomplished metalsmith also. I'll have loads of books/mags for inspiration at the class. This class will cover simple techniques from basic wire wrapping, color theory,design and finishing. There will be enough time to make several pieces and to get individual one-on-one instruction. This open studio class is for all levels from beginner to advanced- space is limited so please call or visit the store to secure yourself a place! For additional info/directions/supply list call the store and ask for Jennifer Brown!

Address:
A.C. Moore
Baileys Crossroads, VA
Falls Church, VA 22041
(703) 578-1401
Shelley

www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New
www.glitteryblue.com
Vintage Made New

Offline anomic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
If you are looking to learn how to make beautiful jewelry you should look at Jewelryclassdc.com. I am offering Jewelry Making Classes for beginners and intermediate students in a professionally equipped, beautiful studio in DC on Capitol Hill. I am a goldsmith with over 30 years experience offering jewelry design and fabrication courses at Jewelryclassdc.

With a maximum of 5 students per class, each bench has a full set of tools, torches, flexshaft, and everything needed to create gorgeous wearable art. Beginning students create a minimum of 4 pieces in sterling and learn layout, sawing, filing, soldering, polishing, and basic stone setting techniques.

Open studio is available to current intermediate students on chosen Saturdays for free, jewelry artists who would like to have access to my studio pay a 30.00 fee per open studio session.

Classes are 8 weeks/3 hours per class. Student work and examples of my work, as well as schedules and fees for Winter classes 2012 are posted now.

For more information please contact dvalencia@jewelryclassdc.com or call (2020 641-5896

Offline Vicki Lapp

• View Profile
    • Oakland beading classes
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 03:09:20 AM »
Hi scorpiongirl,

You can join Beadinspiration’s Oakland beading classes to learn making jewelry. It provides professional jewelry making course.