Author Topic: What to do with the drunken sailor and/or the BraSh poems....  (Read 1682 times)

Offline BRASH

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
Found out today that the stress of this artomatic took more of a toll on my health than I even imagined. I am one of those people who can't afford health insurance but also doesn't qualify to go to clinics or such. Anyway, I am trying to think of what to do with the poems ive written over the years for aromatic or whether it's worth even trying to do anything. There has been some contention in the past concerning them and who has the right to publish them or if they belong to me, but I don't know if I care anymore to solve that issue. Maybe I shouldnt have tried to protect my intellectual rights to them because all it seemed to earn me was a bunch o' grief.... And I've never had the stamina or resources to deal or do anything with them on my own....and it's not going to be any easier at this point.... So I'm up for suggestions. Am already considering the bonfire option (once the heat wave is over) .... Should I arrange for aromatic to take the rights? Remove myself from the process and let each individual artist do whatever they want with them?  Sign them over to some particular individual? (oh that wouldn't be a nice thing....!) Let them fall into the hands of the 1001 grad students I was promised would dissertate over the poems after I die?

Considering all suggestions, serious or otherwise.

Offline Arty4ever

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
  • Custom Illustration, Design & Offbeat Fine Art
    • View Profile
    • Arty4ever.com - Hire a freelance artist!
Re: What to do with the drunken sailor and/or the BraSh poems....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:38 AM »
You have the right to publish your own poems and I think it would make a great book.  Ask Artomatic to send out an email for you to all the participants with the opportunity to have their artwork included.  They would need to send you a printer-ready photo of the artwork that you wrote a poem for, and grant you permission to use it in your book, but I think the majority of participants would happily do this. And, I'd be happy to help with layout design.  (I sent you a private message with additional suggestions on how to self-publish to keep your costs down.)

De-stress, re-charge, and I hope you feel better soon! 
Michael J. Auger
http://Arty4ever.com

Offline Terry

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terry Sitz
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:07 AM »
I like Micahel's idea and would support, but have one other thought.  ( and while I am not an attorney, my understanding is that your creation--you poems--have been written & published  i.e. committed to print on paper-- so that they are your property despite where they were created and what the inspiration--so that you own the copyright)  And no, I don't support a bonfire.

Being a marketing person, here is what I would do and what I think would open you to some possibly unforeseen opportunities and make for a potentially greater adventure:

I would contact someone at the Post--Arts or Style section editor (or other news outlet...Washingtonian magazine perhaps, but think Post might be best option) and talk with them about what you do (writing these amazing inspired poems, the secret/magic nature of their appearance, etc) and where you are right now--kickstarter didn't take off and what does a poet/artist do after Artomatic, kickstarter, etc....the phenomena of your involvement with Artomatic is very interesting and I think they would jump on the story (timing is great--right after Artomatic, summer can be a bit slower for good stories that are not totally politics, etc) They can write about you, kickstarter (which I also don't think has been written much about) and who knows what opportunities might emerge...

Offline Tin Dog Studio

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
You own the copyright to your poems. Merely posting them at Artomatic does not transfer the right to the poem itself.

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
You wrote them, they are your poems, as far as I know!

Offline BRASH

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:25 AM »
Well, after protecting them do fiercely and suffering the consequences of that, I am not sure I want them any more. Sometimes they feel like an albatross. Sometes they feel like a wild animal I nursed to health and am trying to release back into the wild but they won't leave unless I start throwing rocks at them...

Offline Terry

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terry Sitz
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
I think you're the parent--eh, you'll let them go, they'll come back--they're always a part of you and eventually you'll be glad you didn't burn the bridges.

Offline Christopher

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • www.ellogo.com
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »
I think you're the parent--eh, you'll let them go, they'll come back--they're always a part of you and eventually you'll be glad you didn't burn the bridges.

There are some good suggestions here, but this one is especially nice. The main reason for my appearance today, however, is this: I sure hope you get to feeling better.

And I have been quite pleased to have been Brashed at both Artomatics that I've participated in. Thank you.
BRAVE NEWorlds!   www.ellogo.com