Author Topic: Deinstallation Information for Artists & Proxies  (Read 2664 times)

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
Deinstallation Information for Artists & Proxies
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »
Deinstallation Information for Artists

Dates: Sunday, June 24 - Sunday, July 1.
Hours: noon - 10 p.m. every day

Allow extra time for sign-in and sign-out procedures, which have been designed to control access to the facilities for the protection of artists, volunteers, and the art during the deinstallation period. Doors lock each night at 9:45pm so please arrive prior to that as we close the building at 10pm

You are required to show photo ID to enter the building and all helpers are required to show photo ID.

Children will not require valid photo identification but will be required to adhere to all floor access rules.

No dogs, with the exception of service dogs

General
You do not need to repaint your space or remove vinyl lettering, nails or screws from the walls.

You must remove any materials you brought in to the building, including cords, powerstrips, lights, and any materials used in your space. (including any trash you generate while deinstalling)

You must sign out with the floor manager on duty when you are done deinstalling your work.

The artist, or the officially designated proxy, must remove all of the artwork themselves. Artists cannot complete purchase transactions on-site. Artists may meet buyers out in the courtyard in front of the building.

Elevators
Materials that have the potential to damage the main elevators or the lobby must exit via the freight elevator.

Sinks
If you need to clean any materials that have paint or clay on them, you must use the utility sinks. located on every floor next to the freight elevator with the exception of the 1st floor (it is located near the mens restroom).

Proxies
If an artist is unavailable to remove their own work, they may designate a proxy. To do this, the artist must email volunteer@artomatic.org with the full name of their proxy ASAP. The proxy must bring photo ID and follow all of the rules.
http://www.meanlouise.com
neither mean nor louise

Offline jennifer

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • jennifer beinhacker - art outside the edge
Re: Deinstallation Information for Artists & Proxies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »

i just got the deinstall email from aom

question:  i am having my son /daughter-in-law deinstall for me.
but..........the survey..............-this is a new thing to have to do before deinstall as far as i can remember.
i did the survey days ago!!!!!!!!.
i never bothered to print out the last page because there was no info in the survey (that i remember) that said print this out or you can't deinstall!).
i do not want to have to take it again!!!!!!!!.
so...what is your suggestion as to how to retrieve my last page of survey so david & christine can deinstalled for me.

what happens if david & christine don't bring my last page....aom will not let them take my work down???????

thanks in advance for your reply.
jennifer beinhacker
"art outside the edge"
http://jenniferbeinhacker.com/home.html

flickr.com : http://www.flickr.com/photos/30462932@N07/

Offline jennifer

• Patron
  • Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • jennifer beinhacker - art outside the edge
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

having to do this survey is annoying.
this is the second time i have had to do this survey because of this new requirement.
i did the survey the first time as soon as it came out.
i do not recall that it said i MUST print out the last page and bring it with me...or give it to my proxy.

since i just took it for the second time i see that it did not say print this out and bring it to deinstall ( give it to your proxy) or you can't get your art

so just to make sure my proxy doesn't get hasseled i am doing it again.
you mean you won't give my proxy my art unless i do it!!!

this is the first time there has been this requirement as far as i know.
i am deinstalling by proxy.

you sent me this requirement in an untimely manner.....a few days before show ends.

what if i had left left the area before you sent this!!!
what if i had no email access to know i had to do this?????
i have traveled in countries where i can get no email/internet access.

you mean to tell me you would have not let my proxy deinstall if i hadn't done this???

and how could my proxy even fill out the survey if i hadn't seen this....how does he know what boxes to check for me?????

what would you have done with my art (if i didn't print out and give him the printed thank you) ?????.  trashed it (since art can't be stored at the building until i return from my trip) ????

what about folks who have no computer to receive this email?
yes..the email said they could do it when they get there......how many computers will you have available for use.....1000 plus artists using 2 computers...imagine the lines.

and i tried using the computers when i was at aom..many times..on different floors...and none of them worked. not aom's fault but what if they go out on some of the days of deinstall....

one guy was very clever to ask if he could take a screen shot with his phone of the thank you because he has no printer. not everyone has printers.
not everyone's phone takes pictures. my phone doesn't take pictures.

i understand aom wants feedback for future shows.
but this is not the way to go about getting it.
you can ask artists to do this but to make it a MUST ( or they can't deinstall) is not the way to go.

i am lucky that i am still in town so i could do this survey for the 2nd time.
i can't imagine what would have happened if i hadn't gotten this before i left town and no internet access.

my feedback......a poor decision on the part of aom to force me to do this ( for the second time in my case) so my proxy  can get my art.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:14:56 PM by jennifer »
jennifer beinhacker
"art outside the edge"
http://jenniferbeinhacker.com/home.html

flickr.com : http://www.flickr.com/photos/30462932@N07/

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
Yeah that "must print out last page of survey" requirement BLOWS CHUNKS. I took the damned things days ago.  That would have been nice to know in advance. I also dont want to take the freaking thing again, it was annoying enough the FIRST time. Add this to the list of WORST things about AOM2012 ...a.rgh....arrrgh ...is there a cat I can kick?

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
a.rgh....arrrgh ...is there a cat I can kick?

Hey, it's not the cat's fault!
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline upcycleDC

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
I also just did the questionnaire again, and accidentally printed two copies of the last page.  I'll bring the extra one with me.  *wink wink*

I'm sure it was just an oversight, not someone's evil idea of pissing off 1,000 artists.

Offline mikealynch

• Patron
  • Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikealynch.com
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
Already posted this Q in another thread, but figured I'd do it here too in case the other one gets missed. Is it cool if I just save a screen shot of the thank you page and show it to you guys via my phone?

Offline AHendricks

• Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »
I also just did the questionnaire again, and accidentally printed two copies of the last page.  I'll bring the extra one with me.  *wink wink*

I'm sure it was just an oversight, not someone's evil idea of pissing off 1,000 artists.

Brilliant. If you brought say ..100 copies on Sunday, I bet you could sell them for $1.00 each to the artists that either can't follow directions or don't check email regularly. Easy money.

Maybe $5.00 to those standing in line at the lone laptop terminal with spotty wifi ...hmmmm...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:04:57 PM by AHendricks »

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
I have no idea who's idea this was, why they thought it was a good idea, or who thinks making everyone take the survey twice yields valid data. That's my honest, unvarnished opinion. (That's not entirely true, when I saw the message I issued a stream of obscenities.)

Saving a screenshot to your phone is probably fine. We'll get this figured out by Sunday at noon.

At least while I'm onsite Sunday, no one will be denied access to their art because they can't provide printed evidence they took the survey. The new leadership can fire me if that proved to be a problem for them ;-)
neither mean nor louise

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »
Yeah I did mine a while back too.  I also don't have access to a  working printer at the moment so, it's phone or nothing for me...

Scratch that, I'm coming in during Rebecca's shift!

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
I've been working really hard to make the deinstallation process as conflict-free as possible (realizing that we're dealing with humans, so there will always be a few problems) so I'm really hoping that this survey thing doesn't become a big issue and everyone maintains some perspective onsite (both artists and volunteers). Jeanan is aware that this message went out and I'm sure she'll get it ironed out before Sunday.

I hope :-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:18:32 AM by rebecca »
neither mean nor louise

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
Yeah I stopped working de-install shifts a while back.  People can get very testy during it, both artists and shift workers.  I think part of it's the post-artomatic blues you get after the big event excitement is over and we take it out on each other.  So three cheers to Rebecca for trying to make it conflict free!

I guess take it again on site is my third option huh? I just really hate wasting the paper since you know it's going to go straight into the trash/ recycling.  I'm holding off until I hear if I can show them an image on my phone or not.

And I get that they want 100% participation on the survey, but it seems silly to want that OVER correct statistics by making people take it multiple times.  Perhaps doing a visitors survey would be better than us over eager survey takes doing another participants survey? Is there a way to bubble that up to people who actually made this decision?

Offline BarryS

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
Please don't worry about printing the survey page if you already finished it.  There's no reason to take it twice!  The Board wanted to get as much feedback as possible from the artists, so it was included as part of deinstallation.  If you don't have the printout, just let the artist staff know you already completed the survey.  No need to stress, you can successfully check out without the printout. 

The feedback from visitors and participating artists is important and helps shape the next event--so we appreciate your voluntary participation in the survey.  Thanks!

Barry
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline ArtByAWang

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Art By A Wang
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
Please don't worry about printing the survey page if you already finished it.  There's no reason to take it twice!

Thank you for the clarification, Barry.  Awesome!
James Wang, Abstract Mixed Media Artist
artbyawang@gmail.com

Offline Perstef

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • perstef.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
Thanks Barry!

Offline Leslie Albin

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
Hi.  The only survey request I've received was part of an e-mail on many AoM topics and the survey seemed designed for visitors rather than artists.  Do I need to request a survey from somebody at AoM?  I'm at a loss here.

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
can someone post the survey link here?

Offline RicGarcia

• Patron
  • Mid-Career Poster
    • View Profile
    • ricgarcia.mosaicglobe.com
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »
can someone post the survey link here?

here is a link from the  info@rtomamtic email i received...

You will need to fill out the Artomatic 2012 Participant Survey -
http://artomaticparticipantsurvey2012.surveyconsole.com/ [1] BEFORE you come
to deinstall your art.

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »
I didn't see any option to print out the survey after taking it

Offline BarryS

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
Printing any page of the survey from your browser is fine--or just let the person checking you out know you completed it.  Thanks.

I didn't see any option to print out the survey after taking it
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian