Author Topic: dreamweaver help  (Read 1652 times)

silver

dreamweaver help
« on: October 07, 2005, 12:12:19 PM »
so, i've been re-vamping a fairly basic website using dreamweaver, which was a first for me.

the site was originally created in geocities (through yahoo).  it has it's one domain name and everything.

so now, i have the dreamweaver site on my desktop ready to be published, but i don't know how to do it.

any suggestions?  i tried to just copy all the html code for each page and paste it into the corresponding page in yahoosite builder, but it doesn't look right...some of the alignment is lost and little things are just kinda funky and off.

any suggestions?  i've used geocities & yahoo before...but never dreamweaver until now.

thanks,
alexandra

Offline Jesse

• Administrator
  • Uber Poster
  • Networking Art!
    • View Profile
Have you tried?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 12:40:02 PM »
Have you tried uploading the actual files instead of cutting and pasting?  

I use go-live and there are a few steps to actually get the site ready to be published.  It changes the file locations and a few other odds and ends.  I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.  

I have seen differences in what a site looks like in golive and then what it looks like online.  Many browsers will display html in slightly different ways.  It's a pain, that's why it's a good idea to check a site in many different browsers, both PC and Mac.

Do you have some examples of the out of whack sites so we could see what's going on?

Offline mattach

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.canyoupicturethat.com
dreamweaver help
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 01:37:19 PM »
I'm not sure if I am reading the question right, but I think you're asking about how to upload the new site?

I use FTP through Dreamweaver. All it requires is getting the correct settings and then you upload directly from your root folder on your computer to the same folder on the server. I don't know if this will help, but its worth checking out how to do it. Dreamweaver help helps to learn how to upload thru ftp .

M
Matt
-------------------------------------
www.canyoupicturethat.com

Offline yospyn

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • yospyn.com
dreamweaver help
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 02:10:26 PM »
Here's a step-by-step to get it started in Dreamweaver:

1) Go to Site > Manage Sites > Click "New" > Select "Site"

2) In the "Local Info" Category, give your site a name and select the folder (called "Local Root Folder") where you're storing all the site files on your local computer.

3) In the "Remote Info" Category, select "FTP" from the drop down.  Your host provider should tell you about the first two.  The second two are your username/password to get into your host provider's server.  Leave all the other stuff alone.

4) Your site should show up in the "Files" Window on the right side of your screen.  You can upload files easily and also see the Local or Remote versions of your site.

Good luck!

Josh

Offline mattach

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.canyoupicturethat.com
dreamweaver help
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 02:44:22 PM »
thanks Josh for clarifying that much better than I did. Exactly what I meant.

oh, and the Get/Put function is how you upload and download the files.
Matt
-------------------------------------
www.canyoupicturethat.com

silver

dreamweaver help
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 04:36:36 PM »
thanks everyone.  i was able to upload files and access the files that are uploaded in dreamweaver.

so here's the new catch...when i designed the sites in dreamweaver before uploading them...they were great.  there was a large image stretched across the top of the page and then it was divided up neatly in three columns- i got all of this from going to:

-file --> new
-under general, i clicked on "page designs (css)" and chose "Three-Column Left Nav"

Now all that is lost and I've got bullet points where there weren't bullets before and everything is kinda jumbled on the bottom.

this is what it looks like now: http://www.panoramacommunityarts.org/

i did notice that the document type was XHTML 1.0 Transitional...could this make a difference?

THANKS for all your help!

Offline yospyn

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • yospyn.com
dreamweaver help
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 10:22:47 AM »
Glad you were able to get your files up, that's a start...

As for the extra bullets, can you just delete them out in Dreamweaver's Design View?  Also, I don't have Croobie font, so that probably won't show up on most people's computers.  Might want to use a font more popular, like I see you have Verdana in there.

I'm not sure why it's XHTML, but I think a plain-old HTML file would do?  Maybe replace it with .html just to keep it simple.

HTML can be like alphabet soup   :wink:

silver

dreamweaver help
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »
as for the bullets, i don't see them in the design view...my bigger concern though is the fact that i lose the three columns that were created.  

thanks for the advice on changing the font and everything else.

Offline yospyn

• Emerging!
    • View Profile
    • yospyn.com
dreamweaver help
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »
The code for the bullets you have to remove is this:

<ul><li></li>
    </ul>

Remove that and you should be rid of the extra bullet.  As for the columns, it looks like that image is just one image?  I don't understand why you need three columns for that banner image, it appears to be doing ok as one piece.

Also looking at the code, you might be better off starting a new HTML page from scratch.  Put every piece of text into notepad and copy and paste it from there back into a plain ol' HTML file.  Don't assign any styles, any fonts, any colors, until your page is laid out as you need it.  

But your stylesheet (CSS) is all over the place, there's a different style for almost every text item on the page.  This is tough to explain.