Author Topic: Suggestions for the next Artomatic  (Read 10842 times)

Offline shauna lee lange

• Established Poster
  • shaunaleelange.com
    • View Profile
    • shauna lee lange
Re: Suggestions for the next Artomatic
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
better yet, old tires! 
You can call or write:
shaunaleelange@gmail.com

Offline Rogerrr

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »
or doughnuts

Offline Sean Hennessey

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • Paint and Plaster
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline edcontradictory

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ed Contradictory
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
My suggestion for the next Artomatic is that there be one this year.

Ed Contradictory
a webcomic with pandas and robots and stuff

Offline Hudson James

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
I heard there was going to be a mini one at National Airport but I don't how they chose the artists ..inner circle perhaps, cronies or whomever. However the chosen were chosen, it will be something to look at I'm sure.

Offline BarryS

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2011, 12:21:07 AM »
I heard there was going to be a mini one at National Airport but I don't how they chose the artists ..inner circle perhaps, cronies or whomever. However the chosen were chosen, it will be something to look at I'm sure.

There was an open call for artists on the Artomatic mail list--so everyone had a chance to be in the show.  If you can find the last email blast from Artomatic, you'll see the call.  The show isn't that big, so the spots went pretty fast.   It's an unjuried show, so it'll be interesting to see what turns up.

@ed--  amen brother.  The organization is focusing on rebuilding and renewing itself, so it's possible to have future shows. 

As always, we welcome all artists and volunteers to join the inner circle of cronies by contacting event@artomatic.org.  :)
Artomatic 2012 Event Director  Civilian

Offline Patrick Stanaski

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »
On the subject of Inner-Circleism  :

At Arto 2009 (Ballpark) I noticed that Trinka
   didn't get started on her art
       till after the installation deadline.

And that she worked on her mural
   just about every day of the show.

She also did this at Arto 2007 (Crystal City).

So there is obviously a mechanism
   by which one can get an installation deadline exemption.

I need to find out what this is.

Since I do a site specific metal sculpture installation
   which is custom built to the space,
       and tends to demand more time.

Offline Hudson James

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
If you join the inner circle ..does that guarantee you a wall in AOM 2011 or do you still have to fight with the masses on online registration day?

You gotta figure the inner circle has to come with some treats that the outsiders dont get.

Offline Patrick Stanaski

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15:58 AM »
One thing I know for sure  :
   The Inner Circle gets advanced site selection.

Before the assigned sight selection process begins
    there are already walls tagged and claimed.

Which is I think a fair way of rewarding artists who join committees etc.

I myself pulled rank at the Ballpark.             

Offline Patrick Stanaski

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
Typo  -

site, not sight

Offline rebecca

• Uber Poster
    • View Profile
    • meanlouise.com
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
One thing I know for sure  :
   The Inner Circle gets advanced site selection.

Before the assigned sight selection process begins
    there are already walls tagged and claimed.

Which is I think a fair way of rewarding artists who join committees etc.

I myself pulled rank at the Ballpark.             

I've been ignoring this post, but what the hell, it's the very last time I'll probably ever need to address one of Pat's posts, so I really should clarify it for anyone else reading.

I'm not going to rehash the issue of an inner circle. I'm merely going to point out that although Pat seems to think he "pulled rank," he actually claimed a space reserved for a sponsor's lounge. After much arguing with Pat, Veronica and I persuaded him to participate in site selection like the rest of us. Ironically, the site he then chose and got to keep was the one that Veronica - who was at that time in the President of the Artomatic Board of Directors - had been coveting. Fair was fair and he'd followed the official site selection process so he got to keep the site and she chose another one.

I point this out not because I enjoy chastizing anyone in public like they are a small child, although I'm fully aware that this is the tone my post probably comes across as because Pat takes great delight in trolling for reactions from Tracy and I on the forums and this is the very last time I will ever take the bait. This was a greatly simplified version of the events that took place, because no one profits from a he said/she said brawl here on the forums OR from me belaboring the issue.

I'm taking the bait this time because I don't like the impression this gives the many newcomers that are stepping up to give the organization new energy and new blood. I'm sure all kinds of favoritism - intentional or unintentional - happens. It would be idiotic to say it doesn't, but we try hard not to let it happen. If Pat had really gotten to "pull rank" I'd just let this go and groan that it's too bad a) it happened and b) someone is now bragging about it. Since this was a situation that did not in fact go down the way Pat described, I felt like I should speak up.

The hard truth is, as the event gets larger and larger an inner circle will emerge and I don't know how the organization will handle it or what will happen. I do hope that instead of complaining about it, people get involved on even a minimal level to educate themselves about how things work and to help guide the process. I'm not suggestion signing away your life. It doesn't mean making more than a 1 or 2 hour commitment to go to a meeting or a meet & greet or a happy hour and hear what's going on and chime in with your opinion. It's supposed to be about community, after all. :-)
http://www.meanlouise.com
neither mean nor louise

Offline Patrick Stanaski

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2011, 05:35:17 AM »
End of World / Rapture scheduled for Saturday 21 May .

I will be available for donations of art supplies, motor vehicles, money etc.

Patrick Stanaski
2512 Dewitt Ave
Alexandria VA  22301
703 836 6025
detesler@verizon.net

Offline JATretick

• Established Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
As the person responsible for site selection for the past 5 shows, I will explain the "selection process" for the "inner circle" once and for all. No "we" don't get any preference, and Yes, some of us get to pick before all hell breaks loose. How do we pull someone off the floor at 11:30 when it is "their turn to select"? It ain't gonna happen, so, THE PEOPLE WHO TRAINED TO HELP AT SITE SELECTION, many of them ALL WEEKEND, got to pick their space before they started working. And, that is usually a night or two before selection day when training is complete. And, we pick our spaces, AS PART OF THE TRAINING. e help each other and learn at the same time.

So, there you have it.

And for you newer people who keep asking, "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE AN ARTOMATIC"?, well, it usually doesn't happen until someone finds a suitable building AND hundreds of volunteers come out of the woodwork to help.

So, Everyone, sign up to do something.

Out!
Jim

maniafaizan

« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »
i also agree that if people are looking for volunteer shifts with more to do, then the deconstruction shifts are the way to go - without a doubt. he stress of so many volunteer no-shows probably doesn't help, but don't project that stress onto the volunteers who are there. Then how can you possibly have time for your 15 hours volunteering and putting an exhibit together?